Advanced Plus Security ErzCrz's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Mar 15, 2026
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
OS version and support details
N/A
On-device encryption
Windows BitLocker / Device Encryption
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
Router and network details
Sky Router with built-in IPV4/IPv6 Firewall
Real-time protection
Comodo Internet Security 2027
CyberLock
Device firewall
Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
Custom security settings
Comodo Internet Security 2027 - Proactive, autocontainment to Untrusted
Cyberlock - ON - Firewall Rules for Unsafe Items. SmartFirewall Recommended, Require Captcha to exit.
RansomwareGuard
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes
Emsisoft
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
Primary: Edge with Osprey, uBlock Origin Lite & ESET
Secondary: Firefox with uBlock Origin & Osprey Browser Extension & ESET
Secure DNS
Quad9 DNS over HTTP
Desktop VPN
Firefox Free Built-In.
Password and passkey manager
Keepass 2.x
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in Disk Clean-up and Storage Sense.
File and photo backups
AOMEI Backupper Pro - Monthly Full Backups & Weekly Differential Backups
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Lenovo Built in Recovery, AOMEI Backupper Pro Recovering Environment & Bootable USB. Weekly differential and essentials backup
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Notable changes
See First Post Spoilers
08.02.2026 - 2026 setup - ESET Security Essentials, CyberLock, RansomwareGuard
11.03.2026 - Just minor tweak to DNS to DNS4EU servers.
15.03.2026 - Upgraded ESET to Premium
24.06.2026 - Switched DNS back to Sky DNS (Sky Shield)
23.07.2026 - Switched to Comodo Internet Security 2027
26.09.2026 - Changed DNS to Quad9
----------------------------------------
Disclaimer we use date format DD/MM/YYYY here in the UK
Feedback preference

Showcase only - no advice requested

My suggestion is that you should be taking more frequent backups with MR. I always do before changing security suites etc. That way if something goes wrong or you simply do not like, it, restore back and done. Back up and running in minutes vs. hours.

System restore can't be relied upon full stop. Sometimes it will do the trick yes, but for the most part, backups are what is key here. Sorry you have to re-install everything now.
 
Reverted back to H_C FWH CD setup. Disk image monthly planned but investigating space require as C drive is 500gb and D is 500gb though C only needs backing up.

There has been a Comodo update but again just focused on Pro at at this moment I could do with just a simpler strong protection that won't cause system errors though it could have just been a failed update.

Windows does have built-in disc imaging so I'll try both out and see what works best but jeez, 5 hours + I won't get back. That'll teach me.
 
Reverted back to H_C FWH CD setup. Disk image monthly planned but investigating space require as C drive is 500gb and D is 500gb though C only needs backing up.

There has been a Comodo update but again just focused on Pro at at this moment I could do with just a simpler strong protection that won't cause system errors though it could have just been a failed update.

Windows does have built-in disc imaging so I'll try both out and see what works best but jeez, 5 hours + I won't get back. That'll teach me.

Backups backups, backups. Even if you are using the free version of MR, it is better than nothing. Even if you get yourself an external USB drive and back up to that, it would suit your needs.
 
So I use Thunderbird which is fine on he whole but when i forward emails it's forwarded with the header and then a load of attachments rather than the actual message as one. Is there a fix for this??

E.g. this is an email with 4 images which I'm forwarding but there are message parts attached??

1653431710018.png











Sorry I don't know how to do the Spoiler thing
 
Last edited:
Just removing those attachments work but reverted to Windows Mail and built-in calendar for now.

On a different note, should I be using CFA with my config? I have onedrive but I don't use it much and lot running at startup as it started uploading gigs of photos I already have backed up with Macrium Reflect.
 
On a different note, should I be using CFA with my config?
With all of the OS hardening I wouldn't bother with CFA...

... otherwise it's quite handy as a form of hardening if you add these folders:
Code:
- C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
- C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
- C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
 
With all of the OS hardening I wouldn't bother with CFA...

... otherwise it's quite handy as a form of hardening if you add these folders:
Code:
- C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
- C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
- C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Thanks ;)
 
Did some experimenting with Comodo a bit but swapped back.

Oddly I saw some DNS errors in the Windows Logs for a beta.phonewagon.com which I never visited. I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

Otherwise, nothing exciting happening. Macrium Reflect backups working well though I think I may get a dedicated external drive for that.
 
Last edited:
Just swapped to built-in File History and monthly disk imaging. Have been doing some Comodo experiments but always come back to this setup.
 
Well, that was short lived. Had some lag issues with that. Anyway, returned to Macrium Refect Free and did a fresh backup with a two weekly differential schedule and Created rescue media with a spare USB ;)
 
Just a random. Swapped Microsoft Photos for opening photos for IrfanView. The web version rather than MS store as store app not updated in years but website version updated in March this year. Just very fast and easy to use and includes editing ;)
 
It's frustrating when this happens with Edge. If I wait 2 minutes it eventually connects. I'm going back to FF or a different browser I think if this keeps up. Pages just don't load at all sometimes.
View attachment 268936
That is very strange. Are you sure it's Edge and not the OS? Have you checked all settings?
 
Definitely need to think about upgrading this thing. Laptop did it's no longer charging thing, last happened 5 weeks ago. Unplug - Force Shutdown - Take out battery and do hard reset, re-insert battery and re-instert power cable and back running again. A month and a day until my b-day. Lets see if it's feasible. Saw a few from 3 different places that would be good and around the £500 budget.
 
Definitely need to think about upgrading this thing.

This is a good value and it comes with a 1 year warranty.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top