Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Firewall is only marketing nowadays. Windows firewall is more than enough, if you feel that unsafe maybe you should get a router and hardware firewall.
the only reason that products like Norton/Bitdefender/Kaspersky is not removing their Firewall is that they need these kind of customers that think a product is not a full package if it does not include the firewall.

and this also discussed on F-Secure forum years ago. you "should" be able to terminate the process of any software on your computer IF you are with Admin user account.
remember in real life scenarios if attacker get Admin access, well you already lost the game. so in that point it doesn't really matter.
I fully agree with you, the self-defense mechanism of antivirus solutions have been discussed for years and in most cases it is just a marketing tool, if malicious code has been executed with admin rights the user is already dommed.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I thought that was more then understood from the visible quote of a member name including the specific statement and also a reply where I tried to help explain the possible " bloatware " misinformation or did you still somehow for some reason not understand what I posted?

Crystal clear misinformation or borderline towards desinformation or as I said, true genuine desinformation is not allowed and we in the staff here on MT rarely talk in the open when that actually happen, as the one doing it will 100% for sure notice it in one way or the other. This specific case is very solved and was one of those times when it's obvious it's a very minor misinformation post. Not even questioned/replied from the one that was quoted, except for a like so I would assume and hope the message worked as intended. I also see now I need to try help a bit more and I will, as misinformation mostly comes from lack of knowledge.
Sometimes people just love to talk, without even reading the official product page.
Edit:

In regards to the termination, I am not defending F-Secure, but most likely UI executes in user mode, not in kernel mode, whereas the protection engine (should be) in kernel mode. So just because you can terminate one, doesn’t mean you can terminate the other :)

I will contact F-secure for more information.

I tried F-Secure against Neshta (nasty file infector, similar to good old Sality, that tampers with every executable). It modifies how *.exe files are handled, so you see “open with” dialogue (this can easily be fixed through CMD if you ever encounter it). It couldn’t terminate or infect F-Secure processes.
This malware also installs rootkits.

Last edited by a moderator:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
This is a bit contradictory to.
another security study F Secure, is ahead of Eset.:)
And here Eset, is in front of F Secure.
I vote for F Secure because of its simplicity and lightness.:)

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
I do like G Data, it's DeepRay and Beast(<--damn i love that naming) is quite effective against unknown malwares. If i'm right, both components needs a internet connection to analyze malware behavior? As we can see in MT Hub G Data test, Netwalker-D ransomware was detected by DeepRay and antiransomware component, but it was too late.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I do like G Data, it's DeepRay and Beast(<--damn i love that naming) is quite effective against unknown malwares. If i'm right, both components needs a internet connection to analyze malware behavior? As we can see in MT Hub G Data test, Netwalker-D ransomware was detected by DeepRay and antiransomware component, but it was too late.
This is frequently the case with ransomware. By the time you stop it, it’s already too late.
You can then try to restore infected files if you made a copy, but even that’s not 100% guaranteed, unless you have a cloud backup.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

While Bit Defender killed the same Netwalker-D instantly. G Data was too late to handle. Reminds of @MacDefender POC, G Data failed, but Trend Micro passed.
Bitdefender ATD has always been quick to intercept (almost) everything on my tests, but this thread is to compare ESET with F-Secure and GData. I've had Trend Micro fail on many of my custom attacks (like many others), so just because it sometime in the past stopped somebody's simulated attack, doesn't mean it's great and stellar. GData has only released their behavioural blocker recently, whilst others have been doing it for 10+ years. They relied on dual engine Bitdefender + Avast for years. Their technology is a work in progress and will get better. I've had Bitdefender to fail many times with ransomware too.

If you know a bullet-proof solution, please go ahead and share the name.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
G Data BB relies a lot if internet connection is available? Funny enough, Spyshelter can actually stop Netwalker-D, even its pop-up allow or not. Spyhelter can hook whole friggin system hooks includin ransomware. Thanks god that the coder of Spyshelter is a white hat coder. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

G Data BB relies a lot if internet connection is available? Funny enough, Spyshelter can actually stop Netwalker-D, even its pop-up allow or not. Spyhelter can hook whole friggin system hooks includin ransomware. Thanks god that the coder of Spyshelter is a white hat coder. :)
Many rely (almost all) on internet connection, as they can't process complex machine learning models locally on your device - that would be a madness.
Examples of products highly-reliant on cloud for behavioural blocking are:
NortonLifeLock/Symantec Endpoint Protection, Trend Micro, Microsoft Defender/Microsoft Defender ATP, McAfee Total Protection, LiveSafe/McAfee Endpoint Security/MVISION.

This is just a list of products using cloud-assisted behavioural blocking and doesn't include Endpoint-only companies. The list of solutions with other components querying the cloud one way or another is much larger. Only products, not so cloud-reliant are Bitdefender and ESET, which can be proven easily by looking at how much malware they block online and offline on tests. :)
As for the SpyShelter, again, this is not an objective of this discussion.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
@McMcbrad
I have to use third party software that can monitor several autorun registry entries and task scheduler entries that not so many AV's does not do.
What im aware of, many malwares writes a lot of registry autorun entries and task sheduler entries. For example F-Secure is un-aware about those entries made by malware.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

@McMcbrad
I have to use third party software that can monitor several autorun registry entries and task scheduler entries that not so many AV's does not do.
What im aware of, many malwares writes a lot of registry autorun entries and task sheduler entries. For example F-Secure is un-aware about those entries made by malware.
Yes, correlation is something I test in every product and F-Secure’s inability to remove malware in its entirety has been highlighted in my review. It was then twice confirmed by @MacDefender: once on the thread with my review and once in this discussion, where he says removal is not that great.

F 4 E

Level 3
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
F- Secure's Banking Protection is useless to me. I tried to set up direct debit for my phone provider, and when I hit the Submit key, nothing happened.

When I disabled Banking Protection using Edge and Firefox it still wouldn't go through.

I used another browser that is unsupported and therefore unprotected, and it worked. Go figure !

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.