Battle Eset Nod32 OR Kaspersky Security Cloud Free

ssaurabh2008

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2020
Hello guys,

I'm new here and need your help.
Right now I am using Eset Nod 32 in my laptop (i5 8th gen, 8GB RAM, Windows 10), but I think Eset is slowing down my file copying speeds as well as the shutdown process.
After using Eset for more than 6 years, I want to try a new antivirus software.
And after reading a lot of reviews and many posts on this forum, I've zeroed it down to 'Kaspersky Security Cloud Free'.

My only requirements are :
1. The antivirus shouldn't slow down my system. (Copying, Browsing, File explorer, Startup-Shutdown etc.)
2. Good real-time protection like Eset Nod32.

Please note that I won't be needing any password manager, anti-phishing, firewall, web protection, email protection, gamer mode in the antivirus.
I am usually very careful with the sites I visit.

So, what do you think?
Should I shift to Kaspersky free or stick with Eset Nod32?
Or do you recommened any other antivirus?

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
What I would do: I would make an image of your setup with Nod32 since this has been your basic config for 6 years; then I would uninstall it and live with Windows Defender and Configure Defender for a few days; then I would make another image and would install KSC Free. After that,stay with KSC or just revert to your preferred setup.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Unless you are having a low end PC, KSC Free would run fine. Other than ESET, the other antivirus that's almost as light as it is Avast. However, lately Avast has been getting a lot of flak from MalwareTips community for their privacy issues & other stuff I guess.

NOD32 is a pretty light AV, probably something else might be affecting your system performance.

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
A lot of people find ESET very light and the same goes for me when using it on my PC. But for some reason it slows my laptop a bit (very similar specs as yours). On the other hand, Kaspersky is lighter (same as with Windows Defender on my laptop) and I think Norton is probably lighter than both but haven't used for a while and don't know for the latest version.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello guys,

I'm new here and need your help.
Right now I am using Eset Nod 32 in my laptop (i5 8th gen, 8GB RAM, Windows 10), but I think Eset is slowing down my file copying speeds as well as the shutdown process.
After using Eset for more than 6 years, I want to try a new antivirus software.
And after reading a lot of reviews and many posts on this forum, I've zeroed it down to 'Kaspersky Security Cloud Free'.

My only requirements are :
1. The antivirus shouldn't slow down my system. (Copying, Browsing, File explorer, Startup-Shutdown etc.)
2. Good real-time protection like Eset Nod32.

Please note that I won't be needing any password manager, anti-phishing, firewall, web protection, email protection, gamer mode in the antivirus.
I am usually very careful with the sites I visit.

So, what do you think?
Should I shift to Kaspersky free or stick with Eset Nod32?
Or do you recommened any other antivirus?
The only way to know is to try it out. What works well on someone else's computer won't necessarily work well on yours.
The easiest experiment of all -- assuming you are on Windows 10 -- is to simply uninstall ESET, and reboot your computer. You can export your ESET settings before you uninstall.
After reboot, you will be using Windows Defender. Some people say it is the lightest of all. And many tests say that it protects as well or better than ESET.
If you don't like it, either go back to ESET, or try Kaspersky.
I have ESET on my physical computer, and Windows Defender on my virtual machine.

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
The lightness of each is very system dependent, I got a few laptop and desktops at home no one AV is lightest on all, on my older i7 (i7-2630QM) laptop Eset is the lightness and Kaspersky is heavy with fan running all the time on one of my other laptops i5-2520M Kaspersky seem to run lighter.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Since you are on W10 I would suggest to try Windows Defender with ConfigureDefender first.
WD has become a quite competitive in terms of amount of protection it provides and since you are cautious and rely on your experience and common sense, nothing else should be needed to keep you protected.

ssaurabh2008

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2020
Hello guys,
just a quick update...
After uninstalling Eset, I've installed Kaspersky free.
To test its protection, I tried running this 'Anti keylogger tester' and guess what, Kaspersky failed to detect all the tests. :(
It detected spyshelter's security test tool though.
Also, it detected all the security threats available here.

Now I will do all these tests with the Windows Defender and see how it performs.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Have you considered F-Secure? I think it meets a lot of your needs now with the Avira cloud engine and it's generally light even without changing any settings.

Its main weaknesses are with scriptors that evaded signatures and its inability to disinfect already infected machines very well, but I don't think those are dealbreakers for the typical user. ESET is already arguably bad at the former and by the time you need the latter, IMO you've lost already.

ssaurabh2008

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2020
Have you considered F-Secure? I think it meets a lot of your needs now with the Avira cloud engine and it's generally light even without changing any settings.

Its main weaknesses are with scriptors that evaded signatures and its inability to disinfect already infected machines very well, but I don't think those are dealbreakers for the typical user. ESET is already arguably bad at the former and by the time you need the latter, IMO you've lost already.

According to av-comparatives, F-Secure slows down the launching of applications.
And according to av-test, F-Secure slows down the copying of files.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
According to av-comparatives, F-Secure slows down the launching of applications.
And according to av-test, F-Secure slows down the copying of files.

Have you tried it? I've never perceived any such effects. Those tests tend to jump around a lot each time they perform the test. It doesn't actually makes sense that F-Secure slows down the copying of files because their realtime scanner does not scan when copying files, only when executing them.

Many AVs with a cloud component will slow down initial launch of an application because they have to go out to the cloud to consult about the latest reputation data. This isn't heaviness -- it's just Internet latency. Unless you literally open and close applications all day long, it is not a realistic reflection of how the AV affects your day to day usage.

ssaurabh2008

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2020
Have you tried it? I've never perceived any such effects. Those tests tend to jump around a lot each time they perform the test. It doesn't actually makes sense that F-Secure slows down the copying of files because their realtime scanner does not scan when copying files, only when executing them.

Many AVs with a cloud component will slow down initial launch of an application because they have to go out to the cloud to consult about the latest reputation data. This isn't heaviness -- it's just Internet latency. Unless you literally open and close applications all day long, it is not a realistic reflection of how the AV affects your day to day usage.

Ohk
I will give it a try after using KSCF for few days.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
im going to say the lightest is Kaspersky i know you all think it is eset is but not anymore i had Kaspersky total security and it is extremely
light and i game on every server out there except google stadia they need to fix the quirks and i know im going to really hear about this but
Avast premium is also light on the system and great for gaming first security program i have seen that actually checked a gaming file i downloaded
from steam and said wait something seems that a file needs to be checked out and then said your all good to play i was impressed on that
im just saying i think most security products will run great in todays times you just got to try them out and see what works best on your machine

Reactions: ssaurabh2008

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.