Battle Eset Nod32 OR Kaspersky Security Cloud Free

ssaurabh2008

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2020
Hello guys,

I'm new here and need your help.
Right now I am using Eset Nod 32 in my laptop (i5 8th gen, 8GB RAM, Windows 10), but I think Eset is slowing down my file copying speeds as well as the shutdown process.
After using Eset for more than 6 years, I want to try a new antivirus software.
And after reading a lot of reviews and many posts on this forum, I've zeroed it down to 'Kaspersky Security Cloud Free'.

My only requirements are :
1. The antivirus shouldn't slow down my system. (Copying, Browsing, File explorer, Startup-Shutdown etc.)
2. Good real-time protection like Eset Nod32.

Please note that I won't be needing any password manager, anti-phishing, firewall, web protection, email protection, gamer mode in the antivirus.
I am usually very careful with the sites I visit.

So, what do you think?
Should I shift to Kaspersky free or stick with Eset Nod32?
Or do you recommened any other antivirus?

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Hello guys,
just a quick update...
After uninstalling Eset, I've installed Kaspersky free.
To test its protection, I tried running this 'Anti keylogger tester' and guess what, Kaspersky failed to detect all the tests. :(
It detected spyshelter's security test tool though.
Also, it detected all the security threats available here.

Now I will do all these tests with the Windows Defender and see how it performs.

Not sure what was the testing methodology used, but Anti keylogger tester (if that's the one you mean in the link) isn't malware, and if Kaspersky failed to detect it as one, then it is right. If any other antivirus flags it as virus/malware, then it's a false positive.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Not sure what was the testing methodology used, but Anti keylogger tester (if that's the one you mean in the link) isn't malware, and if Kaspersky failed to detect it as one, then it is right. If any other antivirus flags it as virus/malware, then it's a false positive.

Reputation wise, Kaspersky has deemed Anti Keylogger Tester as known safe, which is why it's not doing anything.

Kaspersky Internet Security proactively detects this type of Keylogger as ‘Keylogger’; the option ‘Keylogger detection’ in the ‘Application activity analyzer’ subsystem in the PDM module should be enabled.

ssaurabh2008

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2020
Quick update...

After using KSCF for a week, I can confirm that ESET was indeed slowing down my computer.
My internet speed is also increased after uninstalling Eset.
Looks like Eset was throttling it somehow.

Yes, Eset is 'lighter' than almost all the other antiviruses, but Kaspersky is even lighter.
I guess I will stick with KSCF for some more days.

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
I tried Nod32 for a few weeks.Had problems with my printer. Tried whitelisting it but to no avail. I eventually reinstalled. Solved that issue. But got problems with OneDrive, Uninstalled.
After using KSCF for 3 days, everything is good. With harlan4096's settings.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think Kaspersky got lighter after latest patch (I mean patch J vs patch I) Maybe is placebo and it is just it finally settled on my system, but I would say that. Maybe @harlan4096 can confirm
However, thing is, Kaspersky was one of the heaviest long time ago and now is one of the lightest, it is great to see these evolutions 🙂

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
The only problem with the Free version of Kaspersky is that it lacks App Control.
This feature applies restrictions for unknown applications, and is very useful - specially when KSN option is enabled - because it could restrict a zero-day malware that eventually pass undetected by Kaspersky's modules. The free version lacks webcam protection too, that may be important to you, consieriing you are using a notebook.

Despite that, it has all the other important modules. So it still good.

I used to have KSFC on my 8 yeas notebook, and than i moved to ESET. I believe it is faster now. If you already have ESET, i would keep it; the fact it has all importante modules + firewall + webcam protections may be attractive to you.
(if you don't mind to test, you could try BItdefender free. I believe it is probably heavier than ESET and KSCF, but bitdefender has changed a lot, and i'd like to see how it would impact your system - just as reference. ).

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
The only problem with the Free version of Kaspersky is that it lacks App Control.
This feature applies restrictions for unknown applications, and is very useful - specially when KSN option is enabled - because it could restrict a zero-day malware that eventually pass undetected by Kaspersky's modules. The free version lacks webcam protection too, that may be important to you, consieriing you are using a notebook.

Despite that, it has all the other important modules. So it still good.

I used to have KSFC on my 8 yeas notebook, and than i moved to ESET. I believe it is faster now. If you already have ESET, i would keep it; the fact it has all importante modules + firewall + webcam protections may be attractive to you.
(if you don't mind to test, you could try BItdefender free. I believe it is probably heavier than ESET and KSCF, but bitdefender has changed a lot, and i'd like to see how it would impact your system - just as reference. ).

An update: i just checked a very interesting video. On the test bellow, KIS was tested against rasomware and perfomed very well... Later, the author disabled the FILE AV module and tested again. KIS still had an almost perfect score cause APP CONTROL was blocking everything (even with KSN disabled). It missed just one sample. Later, the test was made with FILE AV and APP CONTROL disabled, but system watcher was able to revert all rasomware changes.

This is interesting as it shows how APP CONTROL can be important. On the other side, KIS would still be able to completely protect everything even without APP CONTROL.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Have you tried it? I've never perceived any such effects. Those tests tend to jump around a lot each time they perform the test. It doesn't actually makes sense that F-Secure slows down the copying of files because their realtime scanner does not scan when copying files, only when executing them.

Many AVs with a cloud component will slow down initial launch of an application because they have to go out to the cloud to consult about the latest reputation data. This isn't heaviness -- it's just Internet latency. Unless you literally open and close applications all day long, it is not a realistic reflection of how the AV affects your day to day usage.
And F-Secure does not impact system startup. It is really fast.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.