Battle Eset vs Avira vs Norton Internet Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
So, PlanetSide 2 is launching today and figured I'll look for a Light Paid Suite so, I have a License for Avira IS, trial License for Norton IS and Eset SS.

So based on lightness with decent protection, which should I go for?

I'm Impressed by all 3 of these but I'm having a tough time deciding.

D

Deleted member 178

All of them are light but, IMO:

Detection: Avira > ESET > NIS

Prevention: ESET > NIS > Avira

Removal: NIS > Avira > ESET

Cloud: NIS > ESET > Avira

features: ESET > NIS > Avira

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
All of them are light but, IMO:

Detection: Avira > ESET > NIS

Prevention: ESET > NIS > Avira

Removal: NIS > Avira > ESET

Cloud: NIS > ESET > Avira

features: ESET > NIS > Avira

I guess that means eset wins in that case :p

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Im not a big fan of Norton,just my personal opinion.If you have licenses for all them try each one.I voted smart security over Avira just because of the features.Although Avira has stepped up in version 2013

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You like all 3, but hard time deciding.

Based on "Do you test Antivirus software: Yes, including the use of a VM or junk PC" and "Primary Web Browser: Internet Explorer 9" and you already use Norton Ghost.

I'd recommend Norton Internet Security in this instance.
- Additionally Norton has Rescue Tools that you can also download later (NPE & NBRT)
- http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The only paid suites that I would buy would be first Avast Internet Security, then Eset Smart Security. The others are not worth the price.

If price in one of the considerations, then it would be wise to check them before deciding. All have a trial version that you can test before buying one.
It would be advised to test them first on your system long enough to get a full idea of how they function before buying.

Thanks.:D

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
ESET SS Wins in all of them
1.ESET SS is lighter than all of them
2.ESET SS is having greater detection then all
3.ESET HIPS are too strong
4.ESET has more features as compared to others

ESET SS is not good at cloud

P

Plexx

ESET HIPS are not the strong point of ESET.
ESET strong points are: Scan speed and lightness

Norton has more features than ESET

As for OP question: I just looked at my friend's Alienware running NIS 2013 and PS2. To do a test I played one map with NIS then swapped to ESS Trial and there has been no drops on FPS nor LAG so either one is fine. I also did a further test by replacing the RT with CIS and still the same.

So it will boil down to what you want on the product:
Features: NIS
Detection: ESET
Prevention: NIS
Clean up: Either (debatable depending on the infection)
Web Protection: Either
RAM + CPU + I/O usage: Either

Avira: Not fully recommended for a gamer due to it being heavy from personal experience.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Biozfear said:

As for OP question: I just looked at my friend's Alienware running NIS 2013 and PS2. To do a test I played one map with NIS then swapped to ESS Trial and there has been no drops on FPS nor LAG so either one is fine. I also did a further test by replacing the RT with CIS and still the same.

Avira: Not fully recommended for a gamer due to it being heavy from personal experience.
Thanks a lot bio!
I think I'm going to go with NIS... I used it many times before and It never really let me down. ESS I tried back in September and wasn't a fan other than its lightness.

orestisssss

Aug 6, 2012
Also if you decide norton which i recommend amd you want maximum protection, make sure to set SONAR protection = aggresive
Also heuristics = aggresive and boot time protection = aggresive.

I rarly get pop ups anyway so doing that on your settings will make sure that a might be virus will always get removed and i have tested with not known software for false positives and it dosn't trigger them.

I recommend norton too as i have been using norton from 2007 and never had a virus tho others experience may varry.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
ive seen all 3 of them being bypassed by simple fake av's so im not a fan of any of them but if you have a license for Avira then why not pay that cache for something like MBAM or even better use a free light compatible secondary AV like kingsoft?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
woomera said:
ive seen all 3 of them being bypassed by simple fake av's so im not a fan of any of them but if you have a license for Avira then why not pay that cache for something like MBAM or even better use a free light compatible secondary AV like kingsoft?

I will have to agree all AV's are easily bypassed by fake AV's and other rogue software. If you don't watch what files you download, you will still get an infection even with a paid security suite. So the best option would be to use a free AV and free firewall combo and buy Malwarebytes Pro since it detects most of the fake AV's and other rogue products that get missed by most other AV's.

If you always only download files from trusted sources, then Malwarebytes Pro may not benefit you. If you are a user who is click happy or just don't pay attention, Malwarebytes Pro with a good free AV and free firewall will give you just as good protection as any paid suite.

Thanks.:D

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Biozfear said:

You Explain in very good manner are you a teacher in any school. i love the way you explain. i always use to give the kudos only for explaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.