Exorcizm

Thread author
umbrapolaris said:
no firewall?

Well.. :angel:

ESET NOD32 Smart Security 5 has HIPS :shy:

But dedicated:
ATM Windows Firewall :D

I'm hoping for someone to throw a few dedicated ones at me (really good ones)!

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Exorcizm said:

an HIPS is not a firewall, many people do that mistake actually, an HIPS prevent the execution of suspicious activity by asking you what to do. a firewall is just a apps that allow/deny inbound/outbound connections to internet by asking you. many vendors put the HIPS alongside the firewall, so people think it is a part of a firewall but it is absolutely not.

ok it is enough, you can add a small apps for Windows Firewall (Windows Firewall Control by Binisoft) but if you want a third party firewall, Comodo Firewall, Online Armor (both has hips that can be deactivated) or Zone Alarm (Pure Firewall)

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
Are the payed firewalls any better guys?

What's the best out of Zone Alarm, Comodo, Ashampoo, and Online Armor?

P.S Thankyou McLovin for the links!:D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i tried comodo, zone alarm and Online Armor.

all are very effective, but comodo or OA without the Hips is a bit wasted, OA has a graphic network monitor (really like that), but because you have already an Hips, zone alarm should fit better. the best choice is trying all of them :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ESS 5 is a good security product... Are you using any addons for Firefox?:D

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
Jack said:
ESS 5 is a good security product... Are you using any addons for Firefox?:D

I'm not using any addons for Firefox.

Reccomendations?.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Here you go:
Additional browser plugins
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.
More Info

Adblock Plus (Free) - link
Adblock is a content-filtering extension for Mozilla Firefox- and Mozilla Application Suite-based web browsers. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

This are the 4 plugins that you should try...:D .....
Are you using ESS 5 HIPS with the default settings?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
What Jack and I said on the WOT and I recommend Adblock Plus because some of those adds out there contain threats.

+rep Jack for the guide ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Exorcizm said:
umbrapolaris said:
no firewall?

Well.. :angel:

But dedicated:

I'm hoping for someone to throw a few dedicated ones at me (really good ones)!

Link At this thread Jack set a guide on the rules of HIPS.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
Thanks James, and thanks Jack for the extra plugins! +rep

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.