F-Secure 18.0 released

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Will be interesting to see if the old parts of the UI are gone with this beta.
According to themselves as you perfect quoted, they should be, but since F-Secure been very thorough with their Beta versions and took months before completed and released to the stable version, I can guess the situation will be similar even this time. Best advice/tip is probably to simply tag along and keep an eye open on the official Beta thread on their site, or even here in the F-Secure section because we have a few members that also use the Beta version and been very friendly and helpful when they shared both updates and screenshots.

gigi64

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
high ram usage !
why like this ?
I like F-secure , but I want an antivirus that is not really use toooo much ram !
Ashampoo_Snap_Monday, June 7, 2021_01h19m27s_001_.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The product uses Windows Firewall for basic firewall functions, such as controlling incoming network traffic and keeping your internal network separate from the public Internet. In addition, DeepGuard monitors installed applications and prevents suspicious applications from accessing the Internet without your permission.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
That is not normal..maybe try a clean install
Naah, even I have a similar value ( 280 ) and even if it's a tiny bit smaller, it's a standard number among most F-Secure users. That is also one reason why they have related interesting updates coming in their Beta version 18.1.
We have now completed the 2 year project to convert all UIs to .NET technology. Qt library is removed from the product, including ICU library and OpenSSL. This changed also the UI paradigm: with old UI, it was always running in memory, consuming memory and a bit of CPU even if user did not want to view the UI. It also needed to be loaded into memory after restart, affecting computer performance in restart. The new .NET based UI works so that UI is loaded into memory only when user opens it, resulting in less resource usage when app is protecting in the background.
On a more technical level, that more then well explains it, or should anyway as it even comes with an improved solution, but we still have to wait for the Beta version 18.1 to be completed. Other vendors still struggle with their own " RAM " issues, then on the other hand I personal try avoid the " RAM " debate. It sadly many times is pretty fruitless.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Just wondering, does F-Secure have any network protection features? For example, like firewall booster in Trend Micro or firewall fortify in Emsisoft?
In their standard home user version it exist for example a feature called Advanced network protection ( ANP ), that is enabled by default and works even if Windows Firewall ( WF ) is turned off for any reason. It's makes it harder for malware samples that's able to kill/shut down WF.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
How can i update offline this antivirus ?
Good question, but nope, not what I can recall. With the business version it's possible.

• Thanks
Reactions: valvaris

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.