F-Secure 18.2 released

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
30 day trial. v 18.2.
If there is no problem with the software, I will purchase the license from the @SerialCart.:)

Only one thing is unclear at the moment. Because it does not recognize the portable version of FireFox, you cannot deploy web protection enhancements.
Like the UI, the account management screen is concise and very impressive. You can easily cancel a registered account or change your subscription.(y)
Let me know if you have any questions.

For the security functions of F-Secure I am not going to leave any comments because we have advanced security professionals at MT.com and my comment will be meaningless. However, I have to say our experience with the license management and in general software management of F-Secure has been just great.

User really has a pretty fair freedom to add new devices and remove the old ones and such. With most of other software this is non-existent.
Another software which provide a similar support is Malwarebytes, but you will need to contact us first and we will ask the Malwarebytes management team to reset your license. AOMEI has a similar support specially for the lifetime licenses (AOMEI BAckupper).

With other brands, although we are the official reseller but we will not be able to do anything.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Running F-Secure version 18.2 under Windows 11 and have been experiencing some noticeably long shutdown times. Just read a post from another user that this could be related to the 18.2 release, does anyone know if there is a correlation and if a fix is being pursued? TIA

T-Rex

Mar 29, 2018
Seems like issue with long restarts/shutdowns reproduces for me too. Did anybody try to contact support about this? I tried to contact them, they gave me a standart procedure like removing all incompatible AV software, updating OS and reinstalling the product. Of course nothing helped, so I am currently waiting for next steps. But maybe somebody was able to confirm this problem with support team and they are working on fix?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
After using it for a few days, it seems that the problem of slow shutdown has been resolved. It is currently shutting down without delay. My guess is that it may have taken some time like break-in a F-Secure.

I feel that F-Secure is a software that has a similar direction to emishi, such as the fact that there are few items to set. All I changed was the scheduled scan settings. If you have any good advice, please let me know.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Running F-Secure version 18.2 under Windows 11 and have been experiencing some noticeably long shutdown times. Just read a post from another user that this could be related to the 18.2 release, does anyone know if there is a correlation and if a fix is being pursued? TIA
After using it for a few days, it seems that the problem of slow shutdown has been resolved. It is currently shutting down without delay.
Sorry for the late reply, but I been a busy bee elsewhere.

First thing first! Slow reboot and shutdowns? Interesting, but nope nothing I noted either on my main machine or even with the VM. I did a quick check on their forum as normally with general issues, it's easy to spot. Couldn't find anything so I have no idea on their stance/view. 🤷‍♂️

Only advice I have at the moment that hopefully could help, is to contact the official support and also supply the file ( FSDIAG ) that the support tool creates. I know that part is extra appreciated as it makes the support staff chance to pinpoint and find an issue much faster and easier.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
the fact that there are few items to set. All I changed was the scheduled scan settings. If you have any good advice, please let me know.
Smart choice with the schedule scan. (y)

As you already found out, F-Secure works direct " Out of the Box ", but for any other extra tweaks/settings I can't think of any, other then be sure to use a supported browser ( Edge, Chrome and Firefox ) with the extension installed and working before connect to your bank the first time.
The Green bar around your screen is a good sign.

They do also have a Japanese support.

Almost forgot one more link I can highly recommend, and extra if one is a bit curious how regular F-Secure gets it's database updates.

T-Rex

Mar 29, 2018
Problem reproduced for me just after re-installation. But it seems to be sporadic, because after problematic restart I restarted PC which was working for 8+ hours and did not have that issue. I tried to investigating diagnostic file and did not find any slow downs from F-Secure processes un-loading. It shutdowns in a matter of milliseconds. So maybe there is some software or low-level drivers which have trouble shutting down before/after F-Secure and it also configuration specific as not all users have this problem. Could not find anything useful in Windows Event Log except for the fact that shutdown takes 2 minutes, and there does not seem to be a good way to troubleshoot shutdown issues safe for randomly disabling startup of service/program/driver one by one. I do not have any scheduled F-Secure tasks/scans/updates. Disabled bunch of startup items and exited some not needed programs. Will monitor things with these settings and then maybe send diagnostic files to support team if problem appear again.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
2 minutes shut down is for sure not normal, but as noted and mentioned, make an assessment from Windows own log files is a risk as it's never a bullet proof method. It's also important one can interpret the results. F-Secures own diagnostic files, it's recommended to leave for their own staff to handle.

Personal I had machines that behaved similar, but the issue in those cases was almost always hardware related.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I'm not confident, but I was a little skeptical of the graphics card driver when I saw the cursor left behind. I felt like something was interfering. However, the problem settled down even if it was left unattended, so I think that guess was wrong.

krktch

Jun 13, 2021
I had the same issue with long shutdown since upgrading to 18.2 version.
So I contacted with PL F-Secure support and sent FSDIAG file. Now I'm waiting for official answer from support.
Meanwhile I changed option of scheduling scan from "Disabled" to "Once a month". This solution worked for me. Now the shutdown and restart of my laptop is normal again :)

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
So I contacted with PL F-Secure support and sent FSDIAG file. Now I'm waiting for official answer from support.
Meanwhile I changed option of scheduling scan from "Disabled" to "Once a month". This solution worked for me. Now the shutdown and restart of my laptop is normal again :)
Interesting and please update when you heard back from them. Good work btw with contact and sending the FSDIAG file to their support. (y)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Btw @show-Zi I forgot to ask you. Are you using Windows 11 with F-Secure?
I'm using Win10.
This may be useful information. If you upgrade with scheduled scans enabled, you will not have this problem, which leads to the reason for the limited number of users experienced.:geek:

Matthaios

Jun 7, 2012
I wonder what F-Secure messed up with the 18.2 update. F-Secure Safe was working just fine until that update. My desktop (Win 10) started to have those over 2 min long shutdowns but my laptop (Win 10) doesn't have them with 18.2. Weirdly enough sometimes when Windows has been running for many hours the shutdown/restart works normally.

Also like 6 months ago having F-Secure ID Protection installed caused the exact same slow restart/shutdown issue on every 4 computer I tried it with, haven't tested if it it still happens.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I will be notified that the scheduled scan has started, but it is inconvenient that you cannot see the progress during the scan.
The other day, I shut down my pc about 30 minutes after the scan started. When I check it, the scan results etc. are not displayed on the timeline. Should this be interpreted as shutting down in the middle of the scan?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I wonder what F-Secure messed up with the 18.2 update. F-Secure Safe was working just fine until that update. My desktop (Win 10) started to have those over 2 min long shutdowns but my laptop (Win 10) doesn't have them with 18.2. Weirdly enough sometimes when Windows has been running for many hours the shutdown/restart works normally.

Also like 6 months ago having F-Secure ID Protection installed caused the exact same slow restart/shutdown issue on every 4 computer I tried it with, haven't tested if it it still happens.

I can somewhat confirm this behavior on Windows 11, it is taking almost 2 min to restart with F-Secure 18.2 installed, definitively something went wrong.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.