F-Secure 18.2 released

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It is a minor issue for sure, but I already uninstalled F-Secure for good, there are many other viable alternatives out there, so there is no point sticking with faulty software.
Fair enough with using the software or not, but get your facts straight as it's faulty for some, and zero faulty for others.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Fair enough with using the software or not, but get your facts straight as it's faulty for some, and zero faulty for others.

Facts straight? What ?

The software is bugged, the fact that not everybody is experiencing it doesnt change this fact, thats the nature of a bug anyway; I am experiencing it, there is no point in using bugged software, just that.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
From my point of view I certainly wouldn't say F-Secure is bugged! - it has an issue that as far as I can see that affects some mainly Windows 11 users - I don't think I've ever used a piece of software that hasn't has some issue at some point? I'm sure it will be sorted, the lack of users on the (F-Secure) forum that are affected seems to indicate it affects the minority of users - One of my favourite AV programs - My last post was simply my experience of the documented problem, no a criticism of F-Secure.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Facts straight? What ?

The software is bugged, the fact that not everybody is experiencing it doesnt change this fact, thats the nature of a bug anyway; I am experiencing it, there is no point in using bugged software, just that.
Depending on who one ask/talk to ( knowledge/skill ), all companies/vendors and developers software have known or unknown bugs either one like it or not. That's the true genuine nature of all software code. Pretty silly if people shouldn't use any software merely from that point of perspective, and of course people don't. This forum alone is flooded with updates in many sections on " bugs ". Some less explained, and some more. Some people have them, and others not.

In this specific case with a very well known slow shutdown problem, for some 100% confirmed and others zero existing. It's for sure a noticed bug for some and just as sure for others, not a noticed bug! Your still stating your facts of a bugged software and no point of using it, even for those that don't have an " issue " with it.

I fully understand you don't see a problem with that, but it's called " reckless behavior " and giving poor and weak security advices based from non final conclusive assessment directed to people that don't have an actual issue/problem with a " security " software. Again! All software have " Bugs ", yes even F-Secure SAFE. Had before, have now and will later. Same thing all other software have, also security software! That, does not automatic means I would even consider try inform everyone, also users that don't have an obvious or seen or noticed problem/issue, to stop using their software no matter what vendor or brand just because, I don't like that specific software for any reason.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Hey guys, I think I've been misunderstood, I'm not saying that F-Secure is bad software or intrinsically buggy, I'm saying that due to a bug I experienced I preferred to remove, it makes no sense to use a program that isnt work correctly while there are countless alternatives on the market.

When the bug is fixed I will resume use on one of my machines, that's all.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I wonder how many antivirus programs have had an error that has not been published and that could have failed during an attack? I think it happens that something is wrong, but those who have made the program see this for themselves, fix the bug and keep quiet. Maybe this is something to think about.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@Nightwalker has expressed his personal opinion, and @upnorth feels concerned that his opinion may affect other users. Neither is saying the wrong thing. It means that each user should make his / her own judgment by referring to each opinion.

Today started a nightmare with win 10. I surfed with Firefox, and had several tabs open, then suddenly I could not open any of them everything was frozen. I turned off Firefox and restarted, but after a few minutes the same thing happened again. This has never happen to me before.

Restarted the machine but it did not help. I also discovered when I kept the cursor on the desktop and scrolled with the mouse wheel, all the writing under the icons became larger, or smaller, which way I scrolled. The first thought that struck me was, f-secure 18.2? I opened it and turned off the tamper protection, and quite rightly, the problem disappeared. I had no issues with restart or turning off with win 10 home, but got this error and wonder, has anyone else experienced this?:confused:
The software has not been affected. Once a shutdown failed after a delay and blacked out everything but the cursor.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
The following update on the status of this issue was just posted by a moderator (Jaims) of the F-Secure SAFE forum:

I can confirm that we are making some significant progress on this issue but the release has not yet been finalized yet.
Be rest assured that you will be notified once this fixed has been pushed to production.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@franz
Please tell me for reference. Is it like this?

3.gif

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
It is not. Often, under my icons the text get bigger and smaller without changing the size of the icon. But again, after I turned of tamper protection, everything works perfect.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Long shutdown its problem with Tamper protection, disable this function and everything works normal.

I also have the shutdown problem issue with F-Secure, but I will NOT disable the Tamper protection!

As many have said, it is a default protection (Tamper protection prevents malware from disabling the antivirus), disabling it is crazy and opens a door to infections...

It's like the self-defense module of an antivirus, never disable it.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I also have the shutdown problem issue with F-Secure, but I will NOT disable the Tamper protection!

As many have said, it is a default protection (Tamper protection prevents malware from disabling the antivirus), disabling it is crazy and opens a door to infections...

I fully understand you @Shadowra , but after F-Secure themselves even officially find this option as stated: " temporary " acceptable safe and also recommend it ( I do not, but I will try to explain better why this time in this post ), at least for being able to error search because that in and by itself is 100% understandable, and people will always click on options/features that is possible to disable no matter what it is. The good part around this forum, is that many of the members are curious geeks and nerds and normally have a good security hygiene and setup with layers anyway. They can also both read and grasp genuine and relevant security information and recommendations, but here's the key part I think F-Secure or at least one of their employees seems to have forgot in this specific case!

When a default protection feature, no matter brand or vendor or even product as this can even in parts correlate to safety/security features in cars etc. If a default security protection feature is turned OFF to try error search and quick fix a noticeable problem for those users/customers that actually have it, it's a direct major big time risk, that specific feature will be forgotten and left OFF. In a case where this users/customers or company for any reason for example, may it be clickhappy or simply ignoring basic security messages etc, actually gets infected and have their system not just compromised but even have their credentials stolen and it was that specific default protection button that could have in the end saved them. 🤷‍♂️

With all that said, I must mention that I like this thread and extra much those users that genuine even took their time and energy to try help and constructive inform F-Secure about this odd and weird problem also on their own official forum. For now, I would 100% state for those users that see and notice this issue ( don't forget those users that have zero problems with it ), it's no longer any point in turn tamper protection OFF even for error searching because F-Secure officially now been super crystal clear that a patch/fix is just around the corner. Turn it OFF now, is very fruitless but of course a personal decision. Please just try to remember also turn it back, ON. It's today one of F-Secure SAFEs default main protection feature also in the home user products. The feature exist for several reasons and I personal previous sent F-Secure a very disturbing report on how easy it was to nuke and destroy a system with SAFE as the main layer, without tamper protection.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If you read past posts, it seems that the tamper-proof function has been implemented in response to user requests. I'm a little curious if the beta had similar symptoms.
It is not. Often, under my icons the text get bigger and smaller without changing the size of the icon. But again, after I turned of tamper protection, everything works perfect.
I was guessing the possibility of poor keyboard contact. However, it seems that it was my misunderstanding.;)
With all that said, I must mention that I like this thread
Like you, I like this thread.
Consent posts help you understand more, and dissent helps you learn more.:geek:

The car brake doesn't work, so it's like releasing the anti-lock mechanism which is a safety device.🚗

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I'm a little curious if the beta had similar symptoms.
If your curious enough I can recommend you start check and try to trace in the official Beta threads ( version 18.2 and now 18.3 ) on F-Secures forum, if you haven't already.

But personal I wouldn't waste my time and extra not now as F-Secure already is soon about to release the patch/fix.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I do not know if f-secure has fixed the problem or if it is my upgrade that fixed it. I upgraded my win10 home to win10 pro 8 hours ago and the problem has not yet appeared. I'm now driving with tamper protection turned on. I have started the machine over and over again, turned it off infinitely many times, but no error. The machine works fine now.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
That would be great, but strange they haven't announced a fix on the related thread in their forum after assuring us they would. Hmmm... :unsure:
My guess is that they are probably in a state of trial and error. I would guess that they have not yet reached the point where they can confidently declare that they have fixed the problem.

The latest question is the ambiguous connection status of the security cloud. It is often in an unconnected state. I am aware that this function is a connection for data sharing, but does the unconnected state cause any security downside?:unsure::coffee:

gigi64

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
I would love to reinstall this antivirus, but since this antivirus, like several other antiviruses, got salaried in the United States And they love America so much!! and They can not differentiate between ordinary people and the government, and this is why this antivirus is not updated properly for me.
They are even worse and tougher on us than the American company ! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.