New Update F-Secure 19.1 released

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Idk what that is. Are you talking about the online installer?
Oneclient SAFE 5.2.2668 ( check in the same update page as in your screenshot. Scroll down. You almost for sure have a different version. ) is the installer that initiate the update. If that don't get downloaded it's a sign of some issue with the server. F-Secure actually had an official issue with their download server 2 days ago, but it should be fixed and working now.

Do I have to uninstall the original installation, or it would detect it automatically and then update?
Normally you always release the license first, then download the package and then uninstall the original/local installation. In that way the download package should work automatic with connecting your license.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Oneclient SAFE 5.2.2668 ( check in the same update page as in your screenshot. Scroll down. You almost for sure have a different version. ) is the installer that initiate the update. If that don't get downloaded it's a sign of some issue with the server. F-Secure actually had an official issue with their download server 2 days ago, but it should be fixed and working now.
Not seeing it.
1687633110984.png1687633215316.png

Normally you always release the license first, then download the package and then uninstall the original/local installation. In that way the download package should work automatic with connecting your license.
Will try it next week if it doesn't sort it out itself.

Edit: The license is from the giveaway few years ago. It's valid till 2025.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023

That is another thing I like about F-Secure, if we ever need to uninstall and reinstall it, it is very quick and easy to go through that process. Especially since it's not installing a firewall and other misc. add-ons that some of the suites come with (game mode, registry and pc cleanup, etc). But I do get why some like a Firewall feature of the other AV's, no problem there from me :)

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I just installed Total on my other PC. I logged into my F Secure portal and clicked on, Add Device, and went from there. It did install v19.1 from the installer, which I thought was pretty good, especially after all of my off-and-on and off years with BD, in which the downloaded installer was never usually current, and it could still take a day or two to get the latest build. I'm impressed with this from F-Secure.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@simmerskool do you think connecting and updating through the Finland server threw F Secure off a bit, as far as who you were and the now "new" location of your device?
All my 4 PCs were updated without a hitch, I did the right-click manual update I believe on all of them. I'm about to install it on a 5th PC, so I'll let you know if I have any issues.
By the way, I thought your update through the Finland server was a pretty good idea (y)

I wonder if they have staged roll-outs like BD? I could just be one of those things, like upnorth mentioned.
using Finland vpn location not my original idea, someone here suggested it once upon a time, perhaps Upnorth? As for why FS "confused" about who was logged in, ie, my identity, I had not run F-Secure for 10 days, then did open the vpn to Finland, and I probably had not used that location in some time, perhaps months, I think I used Finland when I updated from 18.5 to 19.0 (if that was the previous jump). so sure. But I do think that FS could have given me better info with its "warnings" as it was not clear to me what was going on, and if I did "x" what was next after "x" but in the end all relatively simple, logout, log back in. PS. A system reboot did not fix this issue.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
using Finland vpn location not my original idea, someone here suggested it once upon a time, perhaps Upnorth?
Nope, not me. Btw, I got the update 1 day after it was officially announced on the 19th and that's with a server in the Netherlands. Also for member @brambedkar59 , trying a Finnish server did not automatic solved it.

Are inflated files blocked more effectively?
I've tried it on VM, I get this detection from Avira every time... (the file is a fake Photoshop crack that contains Vidar... 2Gb file!!! )
More effectively compared to what, or do you mean in general? :unsure:

Personal I tested too few of those, so I can't give a good enough conclusive assessment. But I'm curious what happened when you allowed the cleaning process on that specific sample?

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
More effectively compared to what, or do you mean in general? :unsure:

Personal I tested too few of those, so I can't give a good enough conclusive assessment. But I'm curious what happened when you allowed the cleaning process on that specific sample?
In general. I very often have this detection or an Inflated.B detection specific to F-Secure.

When I applied the deletion, F-Secure successfully deleted the file.
I also tested on a system infected with an inflated file. F-Secure detected the file and the modified process and processed it.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
i'm using the f-secure antivirus edition. But the AV and IS reaching end of sales

so i will in a few months be unprotected? will the av stop working?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.