F 4 E

Level 3
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Can be obtained by clicking on Check for updates.

Changelog and new features listed here.

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Confirmed! Installed without any issues on my system.

Quote :

Version 17.9​

Released November/2020

Banking protection logic and security improvements with redesigned user interface
  • Applications that are trusted in the Security Cloud are allowed to connect to the internet during a banking session.
  • Command line and scripting tools are not allowed to connect to the internet during a banking session.
  • Payment site handling during a banking session has been improved.
  • The Banking protection user interface has been redesigned. The new user interface is less intrusive and handles large resolutions and multiple monitors.
Manual and scheduled scanning improvements
  • Virus scan handling of large harmful item collections has been improved.
  • Virus scan no longer shows 'Memory: 0 items'.
  • The file scanning phase is shown with green color instead of yellow.
  • The Scan report has been improved, and its style has been updated to match with the rest of the product.
  • New scheduled and command line scanner (fsscan.exe)
  • Scheduled scanning logic has been modified; duplicate entries for the same infections should not occur any more.
New Event history
  • The new Event history runs in a separate process; it has better performance and consumes less memory while open.
  • The user interface has the same look and feel as the App and file control.
Other improvements
  • When a USB storage device is inserted, a notification is shown, asking if you want to scan the device.
  • Search result ratings are shown also if you use the DuckDuckGo search engine.
  • The issue with Chrome extension check not working if Chrome was installed under user's folder has now been fixed.
  • The App and file control dialog allows you to select multiple items and perform operations on them.
  • The Support page in Settings has an option to turn on debug logging.
Other scanning engine improvements since the last release
  • Implemented online scanning for malicious URLs.
  • Vastly improved AMSI script scanning performance and stability.
  • Enhanced protection against malicious browser downloads.
  • Enhanced archive scanning stability.
  • Enhanced robustness for engine updates.

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
cool, screenshots please? :)
The UI ( user interface ) haven't really changed other then one or two extra visible options been added. In the scan UI one have been removed as mentioned in the changelog. Personal I feel it's bit more snappy/faster now, but normally I don't click around in it too much.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 55
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Ziggo Safe Online is now up to date with the latest version of F-Secure Safe 17.9. (y)

So far, I really like the improvements they have done to banking protection.
No need to turn it off now for me.

I have sometimes an issue with the browsing protection extension when cleaning Edge with CCleaner.
It kept complaining that it was not enabled, while it was.

When a USB storage device is inserted, a notification is shown, asking if you want to scan the device.
Did nothing when inserting my USB3 HDD for creating backups.
Does that only work with Flash drives?

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
With USB keys, notifications; with USB 3 and 2 HDD no notifications on my PC. It must be planned that way!
Can confirm the same with flash drives, and it did also work with a portable 1GB Western Digital Element. The notification can be turned off/disabled in the scan settings.
When a USB storage device is inserted, a notification is shown, asking if you want to scan the device.
Did nothing when inserting my USB3 HDD for creating backups.
Does that only work with Flash drives?
@Gandalf_The_Grey , after you plugged in your drive, check the action center. Seems the notification window does not pop out as frequent as intended, but I always see the notification when I open the action center. Get the feeling this feature needs a bit more tweaking.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 55
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can confirm the same with flash drives, and it did also work with a portable 1GB Western Digital Element. The notification can be turned off/disabled in the scan settings.

@Gandalf_The_Grey , after you plugged in your drive, check the action center. Seems the notification window does not pop out as frequent as intended, but I always see the notification when I open the action center. Get the feeling this feature needs a bit more tweaking.
Thanks, but there is no notification in the action center.
USB HDD inserted = no notification
Flash drive inserted = notification (and request to scan)

Another thing I noticed (by accident) about Ziggo Safe Online / F-Secure Safe is that they are compatible with Core Isolation and Memory Integrity. (y)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Can't do much else as on isolation as having a small op Thursday (Pacemaker) so installed F-secure, been a while as get it free from my ISP just out of interest - Not sure what security to install on the Pacemaker, doc says it don't need any but I'm not so sure? (Total AV?) :):):)