F-Secure Version 17.9 final is released

F 4 E

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
Can be obtained by clicking on Check for updates.

Changelog and new features listed here.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Confirmed! Installed without any issues on my system.

Quote :

Version 17.9​

Released November/2020

Banking protection logic and security improvements with redesigned user interface
  • Applications that are trusted in the Security Cloud are allowed to connect to the internet during a banking session.
  • Command line and scripting tools are not allowed to connect to the internet during a banking session.
  • Payment site handling during a banking session has been improved.
  • The Banking protection user interface has been redesigned. The new user interface is less intrusive and handles large resolutions and multiple monitors.
Manual and scheduled scanning improvements
  • Virus scan handling of large harmful item collections has been improved.
  • Virus scan no longer shows 'Memory: 0 items'.
  • The file scanning phase is shown with green color instead of yellow.
  • The Scan report has been improved, and its style has been updated to match with the rest of the product.
  • New scheduled and command line scanner (fsscan.exe)
  • Scheduled scanning logic has been modified; duplicate entries for the same infections should not occur any more.
New Event history
  • The new Event history runs in a separate process; it has better performance and consumes less memory while open.
  • The user interface has the same look and feel as the App and file control.
Other improvements
  • When a USB storage device is inserted, a notification is shown, asking if you want to scan the device.
  • Search result ratings are shown also if you use the DuckDuckGo search engine.
  • The issue with Chrome extension check not working if Chrome was installed under user's folder has now been fixed.
  • The App and file control dialog allows you to select multiple items and perform operations on them.
  • The Support page in Settings has an option to turn on debug logging.
Other scanning engine improvements since the last release
  • Implemented online scanning for malicious URLs.
  • Vastly improved AMSI script scanning performance and stability.
  • Enhanced protection against malicious browser downloads.
  • Enhanced archive scanning stability.
  • Enhanced robustness for engine updates.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Ziggo Safe Online is now up to date with the latest version of F-Secure Safe 17.9. (y)

So far, I really like the improvements they have done to banking protection.
No need to turn it off now for me.

I have sometimes an issue with the browsing protection extension when cleaning Edge with CCleaner.
It kept complaining that it was not enabled, while it was.

When a USB storage device is inserted, a notification is shown, asking if you want to scan the device.
Did nothing when inserting my USB3 HDD for creating backups.
Does that only work with Flash drives?

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
With USB keys, notifications; with USB 3 and 2 HDD no notifications on my PC. It must be planned that way!
Can confirm the same with flash drives, and it did also work with a portable 1GB Western Digital Element. The notification can be turned off/disabled in the scan settings.
When a USB storage device is inserted, a notification is shown, asking if you want to scan the device.
Did nothing when inserting my USB3 HDD for creating backups.
Does that only work with Flash drives?
@Gandalf_The_Grey , after you plugged in your drive, check the action center. Seems the notification window does not pop out as frequent as intended, but I always see the notification when I open the action center. Get the feeling this feature needs a bit more tweaking.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can confirm the same with flash drives, and it did also work with a portable 1GB Western Digital Element. The notification can be turned off/disabled in the scan settings.

@Gandalf_The_Grey , after you plugged in your drive, check the action center. Seems the notification window does not pop out as frequent as intended, but I always see the notification when I open the action center. Get the feeling this feature needs a bit more tweaking.
Thanks, but there is no notification in the action center.
USB HDD inserted = no notification
Flash drive inserted = notification (and request to scan)

Another thing I noticed (by accident) about Ziggo Safe Online / F-Secure Safe is that they are compatible with Core Isolation and Memory Integrity. (y)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Can't do much else as on isolation as having a small op Thursday (Pacemaker) so installed F-secure, been a while as get it free from my ISP just out of interest - Not sure what security to install on the Pacemaker, doc says it don't need any but I'm not so sure? (Total AV?) :):):)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.