Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
my first comments: I installed firefox beta x64 with only 2 extensions, ublock origin & popup blocker (strict)
1/ very responsive, equal or a bit more than tweaked chrome, my chrome has many extensions
2/ it supports h264 by default -> watch youtube with low CPU usage instead of v9 (chrome, installing h264ify yields the same result)
3/ it consumes more CPU in the background than chrome, after 20 tabs were loaded, it kept consuming ~1-6% in the background, never dropped to 0%. Chrome was silent at 0% after 30 seconds => strongly dislike
4/ memory usage was the same as chrome on startup. With 20 tabs, it consumed much less
5/ didn't support most extensions I wanted, uninstalled at least for now
6/ didn't enable electrolysis (multiprocess) by default, must be enabled manually

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Then it cant run in The Rehips sandbox(free version).
Anyone knows a browser that uses less than 10 processes even with 20 extensions?:notworthy:
You can limit the number of content processes used by Firefox in settings (Google is the best friend here), or just disable multi-process (not recommended as it will slow down the browser).
I am using FF 57 and I can see five Firefox.exe processes in taslk manager. They don't increase no matter how many tabs I open.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Even in their promotion video already posted above, you can see it is still loading certain pages slower than Chrome. Saying 2x faster is of course not always the case, everything still depends on the hardware of the computer and the speed of the internet connection. Benchmarks is not the same as real situations.
You are right, sometime benchmarks don't show a clear picture of what we see in real world. But they do give us an idea about relative performance of two products. About that 2x the performance, Mozilla compared FF 57 with FF 52 and got twice the performance, which aligns with my own experience. About the video, IMO it's a tie.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I am using Nightly since version 56 and now i am on version 58.
It's true that some addons aren't yet compatible like adguard.
It's still using about 5-10% more CPU than Chrome while watching youtube or live streaming.
But before the new engine there was an even bigger difference.
About RAM things has improved here too.
My solution for reducing ram is simple,Firemin.
Finally i can say that the new engine it's surely is a good step forward and i hope they will keep up the good work they are doing.

L

Local Host

Does anyone else get a browser clean up notification from Avast, a short time after installing any Firefox?

Well I do, and the only extension I use is Ublock (which is not removed)

Avast does not state what is removed, so I'm assuming it's some default plugin or search setting.
Are you using sync?

I am using Nightly since version 56 and now i am on version 58.
It's true that some addons aren't yet compatible like adguard.
It's still using about 5-10% more CPU than Chrome while watching youtube or live streaming.
But before the new engine there was an even bigger difference.
About RAM things has improved here too.
My solution for reducing ram is simple,Firemin.
Finally i can say that the new engine it's surely is a good step forward and i hope they will keep up the good work they are doing.
Adguard is in the list of supported Addons make sure it's updated, Adguard AdBlocker

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I like it but I can't find any Adblocker from Firefox Add-ons that can block these ads!
ورزش سه‌ :: صفحه اصلی
Tried 7 adblocker but all failed:/In Yandex, I can block them via Adgaurd and some settings and extensions that Yandex provide.
A challenge for yours: find a way to block these ads:notworthy:If you don't it means your Adblocker sucks:cautious:

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I like it but I can't find any Adblocker from Firefox Add-ons that can block these ads!
ورزش سه‌ :: صفحه اصلی
Tried 7 adblocker but all failed:/In Yandex, I can block them via Adgaurd and some settings and extensions that Yandex provide.
A challenge for yours: find a way to block these ads:notworthy:If you don't it means your Adblocker sucks:cautious:
Are you referring to pop up type of ads? Can't find any pop up ads

T

The paranoid one

Well, it works fine here. Fast and stable. Adguard, Bitwarden... all my extensions are working correctly
Now I have second browser

Edit. Some of the extensions don´t work here :( Opera will be my second browser

wxBWvSm.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda

Level 3
Verified
Jul 26, 2017
I just downloaded v57 to test it, and trying to enable the legacy extensions (about:config -> extensions.legacy.enabled set to true)
I noticed that they are still not working.

I don't feel comfortable without my extensions
(Like NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere, Flashgot, Download Status bar, Clasic theme restorer, etc...)

Between a fast browser and a functional browser, I will choose the functional one.
So I will hold my horses until v57 will have all my extensions functional.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.