Not open for further replies.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Promoting the new browser and comparing how fast webpages load? Seriously?
That depends on hardware, extensions, Windows/network settings like DNS, etc.
Test it yourself, I bet you will get better results than this super browser.
For comparison (my browser surprised me, especially on the slides):

7,7 vs 8,0 - Castro Coffee Company - Castro - San Francisco, CA
3,9 vs 0,8 - https://www.google.sk/search?source=hp&q=flowers
3,5 vs 0,8 - Sign in - Google Accounts
27,2 vs 4,2 - Fast arithmetic for dynamic languages
3,7 vs 2,2 - Ask.com - What's Your Question?
8,5 vs 1,1 - ART (@art) • Instagram photos and videos
3,0 vs 1,1 - flowers - Yahoo Search Results
9,6 vs 2,0 - Trending - YouTube

capture_09262017_204601.jpg

To really test loading, try Realtek , takes 14,3 on mine.

To be fair, webpages loaded way faster on my computer than in their video, still slower than in my browser though, but I am sure that could be easily setup. Speed comparison is hardly, what I would pick browser for, just like RAM usage, but since they are promoting both, it can not be helped.

RAM usage does not seem impressive, one webpage and it takes about the same as mine with extensions.
capture_09262017_212814.jpg
It has inbuilt Disconnect.me (not my favorite :censored:).
Popup blocker works as well as in Chrome, it does not.
Blocks malware/phishing webpages, not much to add here, maybe that they could go easier on the red.
capture_09262017_211523.jpg
Claims to block PUP, not really. Claims to block dangerous downloads, it does, but I guess only based on the webpage filter, so it is a little misleading or maybe a lot.
capture_09262017_211907.jpg capture_09262017_211820.jpg
Tracking Protection in Private Browsing | Firefox Help
How does built-in Phishing and Malware Protection work? | Firefox Help

Last edited:

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Firefox really needed new things to fight against chrome and the others but I think that until V58 o V59 will be stable. At that time chrome, opera also Vivaldi will have new features as anti-adblock for chrome and again maybe Firefox can't take the lead

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm testing the beta of this product, and it's INSANE.

It is, indeed, so much faster than previous Firefox and faster than any of my regular browsers (Chrome and Opera).

I've made it my default and packed it up with extensions. I recommend you to download the beta and test it by your own.

L

Local Host

I'm testing the beta of this product, and it's INSANE.

It is, indeed, so much faster than previous Firefox and faster than any of my regular browsers (Chrome and Opera).

I've made it my default and packed it up with extensions. I recommend you to download the beta and test it by your own.
You could post some benchmarks or comparisons if you have time?

From what I saw in the video Firefox is showing the page sooner while still rendering, Google Chrome waits for the full render before showing the page giving the illusion that Chrome is slower.

Not trying to discredit Mozilla work of course, but trying to understand how it works and if it's actually faster.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
If I try it on my laptop, I see not real difference between Chrome and this new Firefox. I think indeed that is not waiting for full rendering unlike Chrome, but I think that you can change that in Chrome too.
Even in their promotion video already posted above, you can see it is still loading certain pages slower than Chrome. Saying 2x faster is of course not always the case, everything still depends on the hardware of the computer and the speed of the internet connection. Benchmarks is not the same as real situations. It's good to see though they are making progress developing their Quantum/Servo project, because Gecko is really getting outdated in my opinion.
But I don't like the new skin personally, it looks like a mix between safari, chrome and Opera. Too much wasted space next to the adress bar.
Nice to see some speed improvements though, but I see this more as a marketing stunt to get back the lots of users that left after some stupid decisions by Mozilla. Taking out some customisibility, removing the old addon system and lots of other of those failures is what the old users care about the see that back some day and not that a webpage is loading a millisecond faster than earlier. Same story with Opera that is also throwing numbers and percantages at their users while nobody cares about them. Good browser if you like speed, but in my case, Mozilla really needs to make a complete change in the direction they are going to make me getting interest in their browser again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.