Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
No more Chrome/Chromium, Kees? :unsure:

That is still the browser with all mt bookmarks.-) On Windows 7 there is no AppContainer, so on Windows 8.1 I would still prefer Chromium (and Edge on Windows 10 also). Firefox is reprogramming their browser in a language which has better memory integrity/violation control. So on Windows 7 Firefox with much smaller user base is becoming a safe option (maybe safer than Chrome) option. But that is hypothesis, number of exploits in the wild would have to proof that.

But I like its startup speed and clean interface, so when it is out of Beta, there is a fair chance I import my Chromium bookmarks and switch main browser (as said because I am on Windows 7 on my desktop).

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Just a follow up to my previous post. Something in the Web Protection Module of Bitdefender, I've been running its trial again as I'm considering changing to it next year when my Kaspersky license is over, does not like Firefox... I searched the web and looks like this slowdown bug was first noticed in the beginning of last year. The only known solution is turning off most of the Web Protection Module of Bitdefender

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Another followup...

I discovered that if I turn off all web protection modules in Bitdefender and then turn them on again Firefox returns to its normal fast speeds...

Also XMarks is finally updated to work with Version 57 so I finally have bookmark synchronization back :)

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
I searched in Mozilla's database and this is what I got: "If you frequently switch between your normal version of Firefox and Firefox Beta, you may experience profile corruption issues when browsing certain websites. A simple solution would be to have dedicated profiles for each of these channels."

"If you don't have Firefox Beta installed on your computer, download the installer for your language and system from the Firefox Beta download page. When you install Firefox Beta, make sure you select the Custom Setup option and change the Destination Folder (for example, to C:\Program Files\Firefox Beta\) so that Firefox Beta does not overwrite your existing version of Firefox. Also make sure to create a dedicated profile before you launch Firefox Beta."

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
interesting .. I'll check it out once it's released .
actually, 3 weeks ago I'd uninstalled Firefox from my gaming laptop, it turns out that if opened while I'm gaming it hogged the cpu like crazy, causing the cpu to reach horrible high temperatures !
been using the beta on and off this past month or so , and somehow without realizing I started to shift from chrome :D , now as it's stable version was released yesterday I can say that I switched from chrome ^_^. I love this new quantum Firefox , and I'm loving the name also :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.