Firefox Quantum New. Fast. Fierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrip Rent

Level 1
Oct 10, 2017
2x faster

Powered by a new, cutting-edge engine, Firefox has doubled its speed from last year. Because the Internet waits for no one.

Lean, mean speed machine
Firefox Quantum’s new engine uses 30% less memory than Chrome, so other programs won’t slow down during browsing. Now that’s a win-win.

Read More.
2x faster and 30% less memory | Firefox Quantum Browser

I agree that Firefox has gotten significantly better however, I disagree about the 30% less memory part. Firefox still hogs close to 2GB on my Windows 8.1 and this is due to the multiple processes it has running. You can confirm this from your task manager.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I wouldn't recommend Opera to anyone, it's being maintain by Chinese now.

If you wanna follow the Opera team, use Vivaldi.
Chinese owners concern me too. But Vivaldi doesn't perform nearly as good as Opera for me.
Firefox Quantum may change this though. Performs better than any Chromium Browser I've used. I need to get little used to.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Running FF 57b8 with webextensions

uBlock Origin
Imagus
Smart HTTPS (revived)
Canvas Defender
CanvasBlocker
Cookie AutoDelete
Country Flags & IP Whois
Decentraleyes
EagleGet Free Downloader
IDM Integration Module
NoMiner
Popup Blocker (strict)
Shape Shifter
Violentmonkey

and using Searx.me search engine

So far so good :D

ng4ever

Level 17
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I agree that Firefox has gotten significantly better however, I disagree about the 30% less memory part. Firefox still hogs close to 2GB on my Windows 8.1 and this is due to the multiple processes it has running. You can confirm this from your task manager.

This is true but I say let my browser use as much memory as it wants! I got a lot of ram for a reason!

ng4ever

Level 17
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Firefox 56.0.1 with a process for each tab. :)

Really helps on YouTube. Plus if a tab crashes. Also memory usage is higher but once I close a tab I get the memory back so that is a huge advantage! :)

4YDdg69.jpg

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
Running FF 57b8 with webextensions

uBlock Origin
Imagus
Smart HTTPS (revived)
Canvas Defender
CanvasBlocker
Cookie AutoDelete
Country Flags & IP Whois
Decentraleyes
EagleGet Free Downloader
IDM Integration Module
NoMiner
Popup Blocker (strict)
Shape Shifter
Violentmonkey

and using Searx.me search engine

Great collection of WebExtensions (y)

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Uodated, never thought I woud say this, but on Windows 7 Firefox 57 migh tbecome my favourite.

Stil doubting between build in adblocker + policy control or uBlock Origin only (with only Adguard DNS and Disconnect simple ad filter)

Policy control options (when you open log you can allow scripts)
upload_2017-10-27_22-54-48.png

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Its my main browser now. But I miss some extensions and Opera's built in popup player. And some websites doesn't work properly.
Maybe. It's my second browser so i only have limited use on it and it's hard to notice any other issue than slowdown.

Anyone else getting sudden slow downs and tab freezes with the latest build?
No.

D

Deleted member 65228

I'm going to try this new Firefox Quantum beta out soon, it looks like a pretty promising contender. Even if the results surprise me positively, I will probably stick with Google Chrome none-the-less because I am just so used to it... I could always use this as a second temporary browser should it be necessary though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.