Advice Request Free AV with real-time protection and small impact on performance

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What would u recommend? I need something that is light and not heavy in terms of performance and might have a 'killswitch' that just turns it off while I'm digging into VR or other power-hungry tasks...

Thank you kindly.
I agree with WiseVector. It is strong and is one of the lightest AVs I've ever used. In the first few days, it can be a bit heavy because it has to collect caches so the next time, it won't scan files again

Amnesia

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 23, 2021
You can try out Wisevector.

However if you want to disable Windows Defender you will need to try find other ways to do so.

||
||
V
Sounds just like what I'm looking for, tho i never heard of that AV... Is it reliable? Or complex to setup(effectively)?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Sounds just like what I'm looking for, tho i never heard of that AV... Is it reliable? Or complex to setup(effectively)?
yes, I've been using it for 3 years and it's light and stable
the developer is very responsive over email and in this forum. You can ask him of you have questions

I dropped kaspersky and avast for wisevector because WV is obviously lighter and good enough

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
360 Total Security is one of the lightest antiviruses there is, and there should be no need to ever disable the real-time protection to get better performance. However, the free version contains ads.

There are better alternatives, such as WiseVector. But if you want something that is pretty much always has very minimal system impact it could be an option.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

On my tablet with a weak low end Intel z3745 atom processor with only 2gb ram, i have tried all free AV's and decided to stay with the Antivirus which many forum members say it makes even the fastest high end PC'S slow: Microsoft Defender with Configure Defender (on high).

Runners up were (in lightness according AppTimer program startup timer)
- Bitdefender free (but that is discontinue)
- WiseVector free with MD disabled using DefenderControl
- Panda Antivirus free (has an option to disable panda news and offers making it an no add anti virus)

JoeN

Level 6
Verified
May 10, 2011
Panda Free Antivirus, Kaspersky Security Cloud Free, AVG AntiVirus Free, Avast Free Antivirus
with additional on-demand second opinion scanner like Malwarebytes Free, don't bother with companies you don't know :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.