Battle Free Lightweight Antivirus to replace ESET + TinyWall

mewcat83

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 6, 2018
I currently use ESET AV and I'm looking for a free alternative that doesn't bug me with ads and has a good detection rate. I've searched here and most of the threads that i saw are from like 2014.

Some antivirus programs that are out like Avira, Avast and Kaspersky as hog my system and have bloat.

So what I'm after a lightweight AV, light on features and memory but still having a good detection rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

mewcat83

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 6, 2018
I would not trust that 100% of Panda Dome Free AT ALL! I have being testing PD Premium during months and still doing but this month testing Panda Dome Free + NVT SH... You better enable Application Control for unknown malware and other tweaks (in paid versions)... and even doing so, PDP still is weak against scripts (better apply NVT SH and/or NVT OSA)... check Malware Hub during the last months...
since this person is a mod and av tester so basically astaff member here im more inclined to take his opinion above anyone elses, everyone elses opinion is s til lvalid and thanks for your inputs but, if a saff member saying its bad i might jsut pay the £30 a year for nod32 its pretty cheap and i gots a lifetime lisence of malwarebytes cos i bought it way back in 2011

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm not saying it's bad or good, just saying that take with a grain of salt that AV tests results... my opinion is based in months of testing malware samples with Panda Dome Premium in 2 different forums...

Anyway You better test Your own before pay or not, all depends on Your security habits, if You are not a "happy clicker" then it's ok :giggle:

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
since this person is a mod and av tester so basically astaff member here im more inclined to take his opinion above anyone elses, everyone elses opinion is s til lvalid and thanks for your inputs but, if a saff member saying its bad i might jsut pay the £30 a year for nod32 its pretty cheap and i gots a lifetime lisence of malwarebytes cos i bought it way back in 2011
Without taking away the merit of our partner @harlan4096. It is one thing to be an Avs tester that tests many samples of Malware, and another is to be a normal user, who will not face so many malwares in his life.:giggle:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I would not trust that 100% of Panda Dome Free AT ALL! I have being testing PD Premium during months and still doing but this month testing Panda Dome Free + NVT SH... You better enable Application Control for unknown malware and other tweaks (in paid versions)... and even doing so, PDP still is weak against scripts (better apply NVT SH and/or NVT OSA)... check Malware Hub during the last months...
I'm having second thoughts about Panda. Their site gives you a download button that links to CNET ( I have no issues with software being hosted on outside servers, but CNET?!), there you get an installer file which then downloads the full installation. But despite me changing the installation location to suit my set up it tried to install it somewhere else, unsuccessfully, twice. I'd disabled everything likely to clash with an AV install prior to starting that process. I'll look at Kaspersky later on today.

mewcat83

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 6, 2018
after ive chosen an antivirus cos im pretty paranoid il just transfer the files from this SSD to my other one which has 0 web browsers on it cos i used gpedit to disable iexplore.exe and edge blocker from sordum to block MS edge so i have no browser then, will panda be ok cos im just a gamer its why i want a lightweight av. plus ive disabled windows upodates,registry editing,control panel, CMD and lots of other stuff through GPedit

so my protection is gonna be

panda with tinywall or eset internet security
voodoo shield
malwarebytes premium

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
This article offers so little protection wise. If you are going to get infected by something following this will not really help.
His recommendation on software are also rather questionable with adobe for pdf that gets abused every 2 weeks and glasswire to help with god know what (probably paid to name drop).
Some person with a website has just UAC Max+EMET (or equivalent on Windows 10)+Firefox w/ NoScript and AdBlock Plus and data and system backups and he says he's fine with the occasional articles bashing the security paranoia.
Assessing Your Risks

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Some person with a website has just UAC Max+EMET (or equivalent on Windows 10)+Firefox w/ NoScript and AdBlock Plus and data and system backups and he says he's fine with the occasional articles bashing the security paranoia.
Assessing Your Risks
Read my post again as it seems you are too emotionally attached to the article for some reason. Let me make it clear.

This article offers so little protection wise. If you are going to get infected by something following this will not really help.
His recommendation on software are also rather questionable with adobe for pdf that gets abused every 2 weeks and glasswire to help with god know what (probably paid to name drop).

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
so guys cos my pc is on lockdown and i wont be using a browser do u think tinywall and panda will be enough
If you're not connecting to the internet then why are you even bothering on slowing it down with an antivirus? Install an anti-executable to stop USB threats and you're good to go.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.