G Data Internet Security - memory usage

Neno

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
That is a 'interesting' ram usage for G DATA. Nearing some of my VM's :)

Screenshot 2023-04-28 120929.png

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
As mentioned multiple times now, G DATAs RAM usage normally goes down after a few days of usage. And correct me if I am wrong, but I think RAM is made to be used.
Partially true, it is made to be used but not just by the antivirus. This is a straight 1.5GB over there and is much higher than the competition. Even on systems with 16GB it’s unacceptable. Considering Windows draws about 4-5 and a browser 0.5-1 GB more. What if users have to use creative software or something? Customers are paying for a balance of performance and protection, and not for the antivirus to take over their PC.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Exactly ,ram needs to be used but not this much , what about other things running on your pc ,all the windows stuff and what else your doing. Does not make any sense
Also not sure what all this RAM is reserved for as the whole Bitdefender engine is about 500-600MB and the CloseGap (engine B) is about 70 (or at least was before). Even if the whole engines are always in memory, there are still about 500MB unexplained. Maybe they are reserved in case something needs to be unpacked. It’s a weird case.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.