App Review G DATA Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
G DATA Total Security 2022
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Simple and red. All the options are nicely accessible thru tabs.
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
It uses the Bitdefender engine and in-house engine and the protection is really good. Every malware sample or phishing website is blocked.

The behavior blocker is one of the best I have ever used.
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
Time spent using product
Computer specs
HP mini tower
i3 ( 2015 )
Nvidia
10GB RAM
250GB Samsung Evo SSD
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Inexperienced users
  3. Experienced users
  4. Multi-user devices
  5. Financial banking or trading
  6. High-end or medium spec PCs
  7. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
Just a little heads up guys!
I just bought a 1 year license for 1 device from @SerialCart and I was amazed after installing and going to the online account. It’s actually a 2 year license for 3 devices. So, if any of you wants a present, go shop at @SerialCart !
On: didn’t have the time to test it thoroughly but it did catch all that I threw at it. Really light on system resources too for the moment.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Just a little heads up guys!
I just bought a 1 year license for 1 device from @SerialCart and I was amazed after installing and going to the online account. It’s actually a 2 year license for 3 devices. So, if any of you wants a present, go shop at @SerialCart !
On: didn’t have the time to test it thoroughly but it did catch all that I threw at it. Really light on system resources too for the moment.
Good choice, which one did you buy ? IS / TS or AV

Reactions: Venustus and tipo

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I was able to upgrade Windows 10 to 20H2 and then G Data was able to update to the latest version. However, it's just as slow as quarantining threats.
Ok. The detection rate is awesome and when you stumble on 20+ malware at once ? Never gonna happen

Reactions: Venustus and Kongo

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
ok so yesterdays test failed to quarantine anything, giving the benefit of the doubt, restored a fresh checkpoint, did a fresh install of g-data, this time i halfed the amount of samples from 1800 to 900, but this time, to test its resident protection
so 900 fresh samples from the last week in c:\samples and a fresh copy updated etc of g-data (antivirus only)

the command used to fire off all the .exe in a folder:
for %1 in (C:\samples\*.exe) do "%1"

first thing noticable is just how slowwwwww it is, but for the first hour it did detect everything and blocked everything, but then a few started slipping through..... i could also tell as my routers IDS was warning me about malicious traffic on my network.....
I left it going for an hour and a half, it couldn't get through the 900 samples in that time so i stopped the test as it obviously failed

heres process monitor just before stopping the test
gdata2.png
gdata3.png
and some of the IPS alerts from the gateway
g-data-duringtest1.jpg

Now before you slate me.... I did give it a second chance and it clearly failed (slowly!!)

just to make you feel better though this exact set of samples & test made Sophos Home, completely blue screen the VM & then become unbootable withing 6minutes!

Windows Defender (with configure defender) Aced it within 15minutes

Attachments

• 1648648663527.png
    1648648663527.png
    343 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
ok so yesterdays test failed to quarantine anything, giving the benefit of the doubt, restored a fresh checkpoint, did a fresh install of g-data, this time i halfed the amount of samples from 1800 to 900, but this time, to test its resident protection
so 900 fresh samples from the last week in c:\samples and a fresh copy updated etc of g-data (antivirus only)

the command used to fire off all the .exe in a folder:
for %1 in (C:\samples\*.exe) do "%1"

first thing noticable is just how slowwwwww it is, but for the first hour it did detect everything and blocked everything, but then a few started slipping through..... i could also tell as my routers IDS was warning me about malicious traffic on my network.....
I left it going for an hour and a half, it couldn't get through the 900 samples in that time so i stopped the test as it obviously failed

heres process monitor just before stopping the test

and some of the IPS alerts from the gateway

Now before you slate me.... I did give it a second chance and it clearly failed (slowly!!)

just to make you feel better though this exact set of samples & test made Sophos Home, completely blue screen the VM & then become unbootable withing 6minutes!

Windows Defender (with configure defender) Aced it within 15minutes
Thanks but a test with over 50 samples for me is completely useless. When do you ever encounter so many malware at the same time in real life ?

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Thanks but a test with over 50 samples for me is completely useless. When do you ever encounter so many malware at the same time in real life ?
its not just the count... it missed a few, this test was just 1 exe at a time, run.... wait... run the next.. wait
it was slow to scan each file one by one..... and yes this wouldnt cause issue on day to day use... one exe at a time during normal use it wouldnt even be noticable
for something to be this slow, i would expect it to be 100%%%%% accurate with its result, but its not.

Windows defender as an example decides within a split second (correctly) and moves on, G-Data seems to take forever to decide.... has a think about it, some samples took 10 seconds for it to decide what to do.

I just like testing to destruction..... Sophos home, is the biggest fail of all, 6 minutes and the VM dies and becomes unbootable
Windows Defender is amazingly accurate and fast, and 100% passed

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
yep! might take a week to get through any amount of samples:LOL:

I don't have my 10,000 pack anymore unfortunately :D
(where Vipre took 16 hours to delete everything and DrWeb... 2 days !!! )

In any case it is well planned tomorrow on my side, but as any AV, it will have all kinds of scenario ;) has him to protect the system !

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Let see @Shadowra test in the video this week 😁
Shadowra is just a Youtube tester. Not an authority. Even a 5 year old can craft a test and give you the result you want.

There are lots of valid complaints about G DATA. It taking forever to quarantine malicious files is one of them. That issue, along with many others, have been on the forums for a long time. G DATA is a "sustainment" project and its publisher is only applying marketing updates once every few years.

Reactions: kC77

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I don't have my 10,000 pack anymore unfortunately :D
(where Vipre took 16 hours to delete everything and DrWeb... 2 days !!! )

In any case it is well planned tomorrow on my side, but as any AV, it will have all kinds of scenario ;) has him to protect the system !
Good luck m8

• Thanks
Reactions: Shadowra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.