Geeky stats - MB used by popular AV products

shootfire

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 6, 2016
Over the past 12 months I've tested many of the popular paid & free AV products out there, with a focus on resource usage and usability. What can I say, I'm a geek, lol. For measuring memory usage at idle, I simply boot the system and let it sit for 5 minutes, then measure the memory used by all related processes in task explorer. If, by some chance, there is an idle task (like a scan) taking place, I wait for that to finish. I take the average of 3 readings, all using default program settings. This is on my Dell laptop running Win 10x64 Home, 8GB RAM, Pentium Dual Core, SSD. This is really nothing extravagant, but I thought some geek out there like myself might enjoy this. I have no idea how to insert an Excel chart so I just took a screen shot. :)

AV memory use.jpg

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Avira. Left is Private Bytes and on the right is Working Set in Sysinternals Process Explorer

AV2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Davidov

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Thank you for the test! :)

On Windows 8.1, My Avast IS uses 22-30 MB

My takeaways:

I knew Norton was light, I just didn't know it was super-light! :eek: (yet another reason to be the best internet security suite!)

According to your test and posts on When memory your antivirus is consuming at the moment? ESET isn't as light as it's claimed to be. As a matter of fact, it's not light at all!:rolleyes:

The feedback about KIS RAM usage is conflicting, there are extreme variations between different reviews; 80 MB on this test vs. When memory your antivirus is consuming at the moment?

D

Deleted member 178

My takeaways:

I knew Norton was light, I just didn't know it was super-light! :eek: (yet another reason to be the best internet security suite!)

According to your test and posts on When memory your antivirus is consuming at the moment? ESET isn't as light as it's claimed to be. As a matter of fact, it's not light at all!:rolleyes:

The feedback about KIS RAM usage is conflicting, there are extreme variations between different reviews; 80 MB on this test vs. When memory your antivirus is consuming at the moment?

Don't mistaken RAM usage with lightness of the soft. What matters is the I/O read and writes.

For example, ESET use more RAM because it caches all his signatures in it, by doing doing ESET has light impact on the system responsiveness. The same is for Norton , most of its signatures are in the cloud.

Less signatures are present on the drive, less drive access the AV will need , faster it will reacts, less resources it will consumes.

Last edited by a moderator:

shootfire

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 6, 2016

My takeaways:

Memory use is one component of app performance; the other is a subjective measurement - how fast or slow it feels. Memory use is not as big of a deal nowadays with machines coming with 4-8GB RAM standard. But back when 512MB was the norm, an AV using 200MB of that would bring a system to a crawl. Hence how pre-2009 Norton had an awful reputation for sluggishness. That said, I am amazed that some of these products use up to 4x the memory as others with equal protection. Is it bad/inefficient coding? Surely it is not all due to cloud vs local definitions, because most if not all of these products use a combination of both. It has to do with how the program is written.

My observations after following this field for 8 or 9 years: Norton is among the best in all areas, since 2009. It is extremely light and has among the best malicious url detection rates. I used Norton up until recently and will probably go back to it after I'm done playing lol. ESET at one point was stellar - back in the 2008-2011 period. Since then, other AVs have eclipsed it, in both detection and resource use IMO. There seem to be a lot of people who are loyal to a product through the years - almost stubbornly and irrationally so - who do not admit that product performance changes over time. Such people are called fanboys lol. The opposite is also true, which is why you have a lot of people still hating on Norton, despite it being a great product. The reality is, things change. Bitdefender could tweak something in its code for 2017 and end up at the bottom of the ratings. McAfee, once known for pretty poor detection rates, is right up there with the best now. That's why I constantly try new products and will change year to year if need be. I change my recommendations to my clients on a regular basis as well, all based on the latest reviews and my own use.

As for Kaspersky... I did three measurements. Kaspersky (and McAfee) had the largest variation of any of the products. The first Kaspersky reading was 40MB, second 120MB, third 80MB. It wasn't updating or running any scans at the time, so I have no clue what the variation was due to. That is a big spread though. (McAfee AV Plus had measurements of 135, 45, & 180MB ; again, I have no idea why)

Reactions: mal1

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I partially agree with @Umbra that I/O really needs to be taken into consideration.

However, it seems that @Umbra focuses on the hard disk I/O, while I think that the network I/O also needs to be considered. Particularly, for some security products which highly depends on the cloud, the response time of the cloud server will also influence the performance.

To see how the network I/O influence the performance, consider the difference between Norton and TrendMicro. Both Norton and TrendMicro put most of their signatures on the cloud. Norton is known to be light, but I know many people, including me, ever complained that TrendMicro v8 (I have not tried v10 yet) make the system less responsive. This problem was partially solved after the staffs optimized their cloud servers for two major ISPs here.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
RAM usage in a system with at least 4GB ram is irrelevant. Just because it uses X while in idle does not in any shape or form mean that it is heavy or light.

You need to take I/O into consideration as both @Umbra and @Online_Sword explain. Aside from that, you forgot one crucial thing: Boot time impact.

If you want to measure lightness and not just RAM usage you need to look at: I/O during scans (smart/quick/full/deep scans); CPU usage during those scans, Boot time impact average (you need to manually test several times); system operation whilst AV/IS is on Idle and performing its duties. Also, some solutions have performance settings, such as Kaspersky, which you need to look at it. Simply testing RAM is basically irrelevant.

Also there is a slight difference on performance between HDD and SSD.

That is my input on the test, since many users are not aware and think that lightness translates solely to RAM usage on IDLE for example.

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
RAM usage is irrelevant as long as it's not +200 MB. And it seems to be the case with virtually all tested AVs.
As someone with heavy browsing habits (I open two browsers at the same time, with +10 or even +20 tabs in each), RAM is more important to me than CPU, but slight differences between 10 or 20 MB for webroot and +100 MB for ESET, Mcafee or F-Secure isn't a big deal, it's simply the RAM usage of a few tabs.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
RAM usage is irrelevant as long as it's not +200 MB. And it seems to be the case with virtually all tested AVs.
As someone with heavy browsing habits (I open two browsers at the same time, with +10 or even +20 tabs in each), RAM is more important to me than CPU, but slight differences between 10 or 20 MB for webroot and +100 MB for ESET, Mcafee or F-Secure isn't a big deal, it's simply the RAM usage of a few tabs.
Every time i see a thread like this i think the same thing. :D
But this one was a bit of humour at the start.

thewul

Level 1
Verified
Nov 18, 2012
FWIW only...

Memory use of
BitDefender Internet Secury 2016 (build 20.0.28.1478)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2016 (build 2016.05.14.03)
Emsisoft Internet Security v11.7.0.6394

On Windows 10 x64 b.10586.318

As said.. FWIW ... ;)
=

SnagIt-14052016 153906.png

thewul

Level 1
Verified
Nov 18, 2012
I wasn't aware of that really... and am very sorry for the confusion then.
Regretfully I can't delete my post (so as to avoid further confusion), as your post does refer to it.
I really assumed the memory in the taskmanager would give a fairly proper idea of RAM usage.
Anyway, sorry.
=

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.