Glen's Config

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Chrome Addons: WOT, Adblock Plus, Dr Web Anti-Virus Link Checker, Lastpass, VTChromizer
Application Hardening: EMET, Secunia PSI
UAC Level: Maximum
Sandbox: Sandboxie
DNS: Comodo SecureDNS
Backup: Paragon Backup & Advanced Recovery Free

Optimization: Smart Disk Defrag, CCleaner

Pendrive: Emsisoft Hijack Free, Windows Repair, Kaspersky TDSSKiller, RKill, OTL, EEK, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, Sanity Check, GMER, Dr Web Cure it, MBAM, Comodo Dragon Portable, SuperAntiSpyware

Schedules: Full scan & Updates done once a week.
Restore point created twice a week.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
You have 3 different real-time AV's running at the same time. Keep EAM, but get rid of either CIS or MSE.

Good that you're using a limited user account.

D

Deleted member 178

Tomo172 said:
You have 3 different real-time AV's running at the same time. Keep EAM, but get rid of either CIS or MSE.

yes MSE and CIS will create conflict with each other, they were not designed to run alongside other ones like EAM. and if you want keep CIS (or MSE) and EAM together you must set them properly.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you browse within Sandboxie, I would consider uninstalling Comodo Internet Security and Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm surprised you haven't noticed any conflicts so far.

Remember when uninstalling MSE, it will re-enable Windows Defender. So you may want to disable it from the Services.msc

I would recommend this setup: EAM + SBIE + Standard User Account.

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Thanks very much for the quick replies guys. I'll made the following changes.

Removed: MSE

Added: CCleaner, Lastpass

I took at look at the guide Umbrapolaris made about setting up CIS and EAM properly. Will stick with this new setup for now.

I'll consider going with the setup Earth suggested.

What do you guys think about the following 2 Defrag Programs?

Smart Defrag 2
Auslogics Disk Defrag

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Also, Do you guys think I should go with a subscription based anti-virus program, like Norton or Kaspersky?

P

Plexx

Glen said:
Thanks very much for the quick replies guys. I'll made the following changes.

Removed: MSE

Added: CCleaner, Lastpass

I took at look at the guide Umbrapolaris made about setting up CIS and EAM properly. Will stick with this new setup for now.

I'll consider going with the setup Earth suggested.

What do you guys think about the following 2 Defrag Programs?

Smart Defrag 2
Auslogics Disk Defrag

Glen said:
Also, Do you guys think I should go with a subscription based anti-virus program, like Norton or Kaspersky?

For a free solution on defrags, I prefer Auslogics, as for Paid, I prefer Perfect Disk. I also have O&O but that is because I got it for free from a friend.

The registry defrag is actually a good tool since you have CCleaner.

Also I forgot to recommend Panda Toolbar (download it, install it and then remove it, leaving only the Panda URL filter, since after installing you will have both the Toolbar and URL Filter installed).

Subscription base Internet Suits? Well I tested a few (on trial) and here's my Opinion:
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012: not bad but a bit heavy on the system. Still detected most of the malware.
VIPRE: Latest version was ok but for some reason I had issues while doing a full scan. Firewall is good but I would prefer Comodo firewall.
ESET: HIPS is still a fairly new game to them. Was a bit heavy on my system and I did not like at all version 5. I was a user of version 2 (AV) and 4 (Internet Security).
Avira: Didn't particulary like it but some people say it is ok. I'll let other users comment on this one.
Norton Internet Security 2012: Haven't tested yet but I grabbed a 30 day trial to test later.

It really depends on your budget and your system.
If you are ok with budget and your system is a decent one, you could go with Kaspersky.
If not, you can try out VIPRE.

Don't just take my word on the paid security suits though. Lets wait for more users to comment their opinions on it. :)

There's also free AV available:
Avast;
Panda Cloud (thanks to Maximus I am using on my secondary config)
Avira free
AVG free (never liked AVG tho)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
nice and solid config. I suggest you add Superantispyware and malwarebytes.

General tip is that you save your files, check the file ending, if it ends with exe, such as jpg.exe, pdf.exe

You can also get hardware feedback

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Do you just want me to post my Hardware specs in a different thread or just in this one?

P

Plexx

Valentin N said:
nice and solid config. I suggest you add Superantispyware and malwarebytes.

General tip is that you save your files, check the file ending, if it ends with exe, such as jpg.exe, pdf.exe

You can also get hardware feedback

He has MalwareBytes :)

Somehow I was never fond of SuperAntiSpyware

P

Plexx

Glen said:
Do you just want me to post my Hardware specs in a different thread or just in this one?

you could post your specs here

Note: I used Speccy to take a screenshot to save time typing but that is just me :)

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Removed: Emsisoft Anti Malware

Protection for some reason won't start up for me, I'm going to try a reinstall however

P

Plexx

Glen said:
Removed: Emsisoft Anti Malware

Protection for some reason won't start up for me, I'm going to try a reinstall however

I only run CIS 5.8 on my main config as Real time.

Depending on what you use your PC for, CIS could be enough.

P

Plexx

One thing I never liked was this: Flashing Bios...

Already had 5 incidents in the pasts... 2 of them due to power cut... the other 3 was just pure bad luck!

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Just been doing some researching on the flashing of the bios and the differences between the cards themselves.

I don't think it would be a good idea for the following reasons.

The HD6950 only has a 6-pin connector while the HD6970 has an 8-pin connector.
The HD6950 uses 200W of power but the HD6970 uses 230W of power.
Voids Warranty.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.