Glen's Config

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you find out why Emsisoft didn't start up?

D

Deleted member 178

you dont need a paid security apps; when you have CIS, Panda CAV free, Avast free, AVG (etc...) available.

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback and comments so far guys. I really appreciate it.

Earth said:
Did you find out why Emsisoft didn't start up?

I'm not sure why it didn't start up, I reinstalled it and it seems to have corrected the problem.

For some reason, I cannot change the Guard state or add Application Rules.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Edit: Have any of you tried out Revo Uninstaller, If so what do you think?

P

Plexx

I use Revo free on second config and Revo pro on my main one.

I like it and can't live without it but that's my opinion.

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
biozfear said:
Glen said:
added: Comodo Trustconnect (7 Day Trial)

Could you or someone else who use Comodo Trustconnect provide some feedback?

Thanks

Umbrapolaris has been using it in his config.

I'll tell you what I think at the end of the trial though. :)

Alternatively, If you don't want to wait that long. You could sign up for the free 10gb plan. https://accounts.comodo.com/trustconnectfree/management/signup

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Our member umbrapolaris posted a thread a tutorial on how to set a configuration between EAM+CIS for maximum protection.

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Our member umbrapolaris posted a thread a tutorial on how to set a configuration between EAM+CIS for maximum protection.

I think it only works for the paid version of EAM (so far I can't create application rules or access guard.)

Do you guys think it would be worth getting?

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
No security is worth paying for. Well except for NIS and KIS. Emsisoft's products are very expensive for even a 1 user license.

D

Deleted member 178

Glen said:
I think it only works for the paid version of EAM (so far I can't create application rules or access guard.)

Yes the paid version (EAM) not the free one (EAM free) which have only the scanning features.

Seems you use the free version, you should move it in the "On-Demand" part of your config, if not you will make people misunderstand it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No. There is no loss from not using EAM. CIS is a suite that's meant to cover all areas of protection for your Windows PC.

Take example:
You don't see Kaspersky or Norton Internet Security users installing other AV's, and this applies to Comodo. Just because Emsisoft Anti-Malware can be used alongside, doesn't mean you need one.

You can continue using EAM Free as an on-demand AV scanner, though I see no use for it.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Well said Earth. I will never understand why certain people install a suite then disable or add tons of stuff on top of it.If a suite cannot stand on its own then why use it.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Maximus said:
Well said Earth. I will never understand why certain people install a suite then disable or add tons of stuff on top of it.If a suite cannot stand on its own then why use it.

CIS in the early days didn't have any AV-engine. An AV-component was added to make CIS more user-friendly.

It does stand on it's own but omodo is aware and kind to let people choose what they want to install.

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Maximus said:

Well, Here's my opinion. All security suites have some sort of weakness, whether it be detection of certain types of threats or something else.

I only install new software and disable parts of the security suite if I feel it doesn't do that particular job well enough.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Then why not just download Comodo stand alone firewall? If you don't like the firewall in NIS don't disable it. Just use NAV. If a certain suite was that weak then I wouldn't use it period. The purpose of any suite is to simplify things. Suties are made for convince so a user doesn't need separate components running. Many years ago keeping a pc safe meant using 3 components.

1. Antivirus
2. AntiSpyware
3. Firewall

Now just about every antivirus has antispyware built into it. Then with the advancements in Windows firewall and the fact that just about everyone has a router with NAT you no longer need a firewall. Everything has become simplified for ease of use.

P

Plexx

Maximus said:
Then why not just download Comodo stand alone firewall? If you don't like the firewall in NIS don't disable it. Just use NAV. If a certain suite was that weak then I wouldn't use it period. The purpose of any suite is to simplify things. Suties are made for convince so a user doesn't need separate components running. Many years ago keeping a pc safe meant using 3 components.

1. Antivirus
2. AntiSpyware
3. Firewall

Now just about every antivirus has antispyware built into it. Then with the advancements in Windows firewall and the fact that just about everyone has a router with NAT you no longer need a firewall. Everything has become simplified for ease of use.

Can't agree with you more on this one. Back in the days getting an AV + Antispyware and a firewall were a must. I remember using Sygate firewall for example until it got bought, then used Kerio which then was bought and moved to Comodo (the interface used to be light blue if memory serves me right).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.