Updated Config 10-4-2013

S

starchild76

Thread author
RE: Updated Config 14-11-2012

yes thats sooooo true mrf :) nice , clean and simple! and I really have fallen in love with this trend product! if there is a negative thing , that I have to mention , is the fact that it sees malwarebytes as an incompatible security product! I wonder , if this is going to change in the future!

S

starchild76

Thread author

removed trendmicro antivirus plus : massive slowdown , when opening files and discs , web browsing slowed down heavilly.....so got out today and bought a licensce for bitdefender internet security 2013.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

sushiman said:
removed trendmicro antivirus plus : massive slowdown , when opening files and discs , web browsing slowed down heavilly.....so got out today and bought a licensce for bitdefender internet security 2013.

No surprise there, why buy something when you have lots of free choices?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

MRF71 said:
sushiman said:

usually people don't like the free choices given at the moment.
Like for example:

Avast: Been having some tech problems lately from personal experience and what I seen in videos such as buggy sandbox, scans freezing, etc.

AVG: Average Protection and the new version has been a bit heavy.

MSE: Do I need to explain? Worst protection ever (Not counting IObit and Anvi)

Comodo: Great however some people don't want to deal with the annoying HIPS, etc.

Avira: Not like it used to be

Zonealarm Free: A little heavy, protection questionable but decent. I consider it the Free Kaspersky if you ask me.

Some people also just don't want the trouble downloading all these combos such as sandboxie, etc.

Beleive it or not but there are amazing paid products out there that offers the best protection on the market right now such as Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Emsisoft, Eset, etc.

All comes down what type of user you are and what you feel most secure with.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

I agree it's personal preference, personally i've had no issues with Avast

P

Plexx

Thread author

If you refer to avast having problems, then you are in for a surprise with BitDefender.

Try doing a full scan of your main hard disk (even if it has only windows installed) and that is just the beginning of the problems from BD.

There are a few statements that I personally do not agree:

Comodo: Great however some people don't want to deal with the annoying HIPS, etc.

AVG: protection is just as good as ESET or even Kaspersky. It uses mainly a behavior blocker known as Identity Protection. Also most ESET users do not tweak the settings, leaving HIPS on its default mode which is equal to no protection...

MSE: is good enough for the average user, specially if your risk of infection is low.

COMODO: you can choose to disable D+. There are users who use the AV and FW modules without D+.

It is true that in the end of the day, it is your choice and your opinion however many users who are new to security setups browse the forums and they can be mislead by such opinions without any backup arguments. :)

S

starchild76

Thread author

MRF71 said:
sushiman said:

First I was really impressed with trends webblocker this is really really good , but the long loading time of webpages and loading time of ff anoyed me , plus I read somewhere ( sorry I cannot recall the webpage ) that trend are in bif financial trouble :(
furthermore I have tried every free av and firewall there is but I do not like to use free protection anymore , most of the lacking the most of the needed features , or to buggy , low detection rates and so on! you see originally I am an AVG vip , and got 6 year licenses for i.s. , for helping out unsatisfied customers on the facebook fanpage , in order for them to stay with the product. also did some promotional work : vids and blog writing! came up with some ideas , to make the product more stronger , but the devellopment team is stubborn , holding on to their own ideas , still beleving that can make it through with signature based detection in stead of hips and sandbox and other needed lines of defense! I really love the community , do not get me wrong and also their advacocy manager , who does a great deal for us superfans , going out her own way to get us heared amont the avg higher rankings!

as for my choice to buying bitdefender??? Is light , high detection rates , super webblocker , and I have really fallen inlove with their new safe pay feature : it pops up when you arrive at your banking site , or webshop , asking you if you want to use safe pay : a fully snadboxed enviornment just like avast's safezone and cis virtual kiosk! I am really paranoid about my online shopping and banking and I am truelly paranoid , that something might wrong! I read a lot of reviees and watched a lot of tests , before I came to this choice and the money is well woth it!!! :)

S

starchild76

Thread author

3link9 said:
MRF71 said:
sushiman said:

usually people don't like the free choices given at the moment.
Like for example:

Avast: Been having some tech problems lately from personal experience and what I seen in videos such as buggy sandbox, scans freezing, etc.

you hit the nail right on his head with your remarks :D i am very paranoid and just dont trust free products anymore ( although some amongst us will disagree with me :angel: )

Avira: Not like it used to be

Zonealarm Free: A little heavy, protection questionable but decent. I consider it the Free Kaspersky if you ask me.

Some people also just don't want the trouble downloading all these combos such as sandboxie, etc.

Beleive it or not but there are amazing paid products out there that offers the best protection on the market right now such as Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Emsisoft, Eset, etc.

All comes down what type of user you are and what you feel most secure with.

S

starchild76

Thread author

Biozfear said:
If you refer to avast having problems, then you are in for a surprise with BitDefender.

Try doing a full scan of your main hard disk (even if it has only windows installed) and that is just the beginning of the problems from BD.

There are a few statements that I personally do not agree:

well spoken biozfear to bad I can give you +2 kuddos :p

AVG: protection is just as good as ESET or even Kaspersky. It uses mainly a behavior blocker known as Identity Protection. Also most ESET users do not tweak the settings, leaving HIPS on its default mode which is equal to no protection...

MSE: is good enough for the average user, specially if your risk of infection is low.

COMODO: you can choose to disable D+. There are users who use the AV and FW modules without D+.

It is true that in the end of the day, it is your choice and your opinion however many users who are new to security setups browse the forums and they can be mislead by such opinions without any backup arguments. :)

S

starchild76

Thread author

Removed Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 replaced with AVG Internet Security 2013 ( my eternal love :) )

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

Instead of AVG IS i would suggest you to use
1. ESET SS (ESS)
2. EMSISOFT IS (EAM + OAP)
3. KASPERSKY IS (KIS)

S

starchild76

Thread author

hello unknown , I know that AVG Internet scurity is NOT the best , especially against zero day malware and that it does rely heavilly on signatures , but I just love it. I feel comfotable with this suite! I have tried e.s.s. and it felt heavy on my machine , emsisoft I am not a fan of and kasperky I don't like either ( tried them all . ) I have been an AVG man for a long time and I just keep returning to them , no matter of their flaws and no matter of what others have to say about their product. But I do apreciate your comment , do not get me wrong :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

It's just like Trend not the best signature AV but has really good web guard. It should be what you enjoy about the AV. Some people might like different things to others.

S

starchild76

Thread author

spoken like a true gentleman mclovin!! it was the first security product I have ever used , you may compare it to a highschool sweetheart!! everybody have different tastes for different product and there is no debate in personal preferenses or tasts ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

sushiman said:
you may compare it to a highschool sweetheart!! everybody have different tastes for different product and there is no debate in personal preferences or tastes ;)

i am a hot boy, so i have 3 sweethearts: in order : CIS, EAM ans WSA; whatever i do one of them must be present ^^

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Umbra Corp. said:
i am a hot boy, so i have 3 sweethearts: in order : CIS, EAM ans WSA; whatever i do one of them must be present ^^

Pfft, your not hot. You work in a corporation. :p

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Sushiman , how the responsiveness of AVG and during installation can you opt out the firewall?

S

starchild76

Thread author

startup of pc takes a bit longer ( in the range of Bitdfender ) but for the rest the laptop is zippy opening files , transfering files and scanning is quite fast. dispite the ram usage wich is a tat high , it does not feel heavy....it has a ton of processes going on , but that does not bother me! you can not opt out firewall during install!but you can via gui after install.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Same with Trend, they have a ton of processes but I don't feel any system lag at all. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

i dont remember if Trend is a full cloud AV or if you have to download sigs?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.