Glen's Config

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Maximus said:
and the fact that just about everyone has a router with NAT you no longer need a firewall.

Yep. Although it's not really intended as a security measure, it does cut out all the unwanted traffic (such as general port scans) on the internet. You only see the traffic specifically addressed to your machine.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Glen said:
Maximus said:
Well said Earth. I will never understand why certain people install a suite then disable or add tons of stuff on top of it.If a suite cannot stand on its own then why use it.

Well, Here's my opinion. All security suites have some sort of weakness, whether it be detection of certain types of threats or something else.

I only install new software and disable parts of the security suite if I feel it doesn't do that particular job well enough.

You should be careful what part you install to "replace" the component you don't think doesn't do good enough; disabling, lets say KIS firewall and you use Comodo Firewall is not enough because the firewall drivers might interfere with comodo's firewall drivers.

My best advice when you do such thing is that you uninstall, if the program allows you, the unwanted component; the drivers from that components will be uninstalled. Otherwise uninstall it completely, use removal tool, install it again and check the wanted components, if it allows you.

If you don't want to gamble install it on Wmware and see what options you have.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Glen said:
Removed: EAM

You can add Emsisoft Emergency Kit as your toolkit in case of infected events. No need to install since it can be a portable.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The less the better.

First try SuperAntiSpyware Portable, but honestly I don't think you need it, nor is EEK

Speaking of Emsisoft, MalAware might be the better option for 1 minute scanner.

However, none of the above are needed.

D

Deleted member 178

Maximus said:
Well said Earth. I will never understand why certain people install a suite then disable or add tons of stuff on top of it.If a suite cannot stand on its own then why use it.

Because i can and i like it :D why people do tuning to their cars, why they have a car and a motorbike, why they add gadgets and fancy themes to their OS, all is a matter of taste if wisely done.

:D

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Adding horse power to your car or a theme to your OS is very different then disabling features in a suite. If you do not like the features which are built into a particular suite then don't use it. Its that easy. Dont like the CAV part of CIS. Then don't download CIS. Thats why Comodo has each component available for separate downloads. Someone in this forum or another didn't like the firewall in Smart Security so they disabled it and substituted Comodo for it. Well that is a very big mistake cause the firewall driver for Smart Security is still installed. So if they didn't like Smart Security's firewall then common sense would be to use Eset Stand Alone antivirus with Comodo firewall. Get the picture. When you install a theme on your OS you are not disabling features in Windows. When you mod your car you aren't disabling anything either.

D

Deleted member 178

Maximus said:
If you do not like the features which are built into a particular suite then don't use it. Its that easy. Dont like the CAV part of CIS. Then don't download CIS. Thats why Comodo has each component available for separate downloads.

Yes of course, installing a suite then disabling some components then adding an analog ones from a different vendor is not wise, i was more focused on the "adding stuff" of your reply.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Same goes for that umbra. If I paid for NIS or KIS, then someone told me that I need Sandboxie or something else to stay safe then I would ask myself "Why did I spend $60 on a product which is not strong enough to stand on its own". Nothing is perfect. Thats a given. Every security will fail one day. But if I spent my hard earned money on a top notch security suite then someone told me its not enough I would be very disappointed.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
It's up to the user if he wants to add something to his setup even though he's already using a suite, We all have different opinions and choices. In the end, We all wanted to be secure right?

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
I won't disable any of the CIS features then, it seems you all know more about security than me.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, In fact I'm quite happy I can learn from you guys.

Added: SUPERAntiSpyware Portable and EEK to my pendrive

D

Deleted member 178

BoXX28 said:
It's up to the user if he wants to add something to his setup even though he's already using a suite, We all have different opinions and choices. In the end, We all wanted to be secure right?

Maximus means disabling a feature like an AV, and adding an other equivalent one may create conflicts because of remaining drivers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.