Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Nothing, for sure.(y)
Why do you seek the cause of breaking microSD cards from your phones in your computer? It is most probably related to the phone. I do not think that investigating the Windows Logs could help you. You probably need a low-level disk diagnostic tool.
It would be good to open a new thread about recovering the RAID - there can be several sources of your problem: malware, driver update, driver corruption, hardware failure, etc.
Thank you, i will check for drivers problem.
For malware allready tested.

Reactions: Andy Ful

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Nothing, for sure.(y)
Why do you seek the cause of breaking microSD cards from your phones in your computer? It is most probably related to the phone. I do not think that investigating the Windows Logs could help you. You probably need a low-level disk diagnostic tool.
It would be good to open a new thread about recovering the RAID - there can be several sources of your problem: malware, driver update, driver corruption, hardware failure, etc.

The mobile applications are Universal Windows Platform apps. They can support AppContainer or not. Most of the known 3rd party Office suites prepared for UWP, do not support AppContainer. The free Office Mobile version of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint work in the read mode (blocked macros, OLE, etc) in AppContainer.
I did not see/test the Microsoft Office Desktop Apps, so I do not know the details. Maybe, @Gandalf_The_Grey will help us, to know this.:)(y)
1 How can you tell if a certain Windows store app runs in AppContainer?
2 If it doesn't, then it has no particular security advantage over a regular Win32 app?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hello. Is this the handiwork of Firewall Hardening Tool? (y)

telemetry optout.PNG

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If you tell me how to check that, I will do it later today when returning home from work.
  1. Download & unzip Process Explorer:
  2. Run procexp.exe with admin rights.
  3. View >> Select columns >> and tick "Integrity level"
  4. Press <OK>
  5. Run Word
  6. Find winword.exe in Process Explorer and look at the "Integrity" column.
In my computer the free mobile version is in AppContainer:
ProcExp1.png

and the Word from the full MS Office 365 is not (średni = Medium ):
ProcExp2.png

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Is this the same problem as below?

Oh shoot, I forgot, yes it is. Therefore I won't bother you with the logs. I took a look at the logs, it is blocking outbound requests from primarily Edge.dev, compattelrunner and ServiceHost, once also from rundll32.exe. :sneaky:

Sorry about that. You were right, oldschool, nothing to do with it.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You have the "Microsoft Office Desktop Apps" with Office 365 license. This is the full Mobile version of Microsoft Office sometimes preinstalled on laptops. I did not test it.

You can check if DocumentsAntiExploit works by setting it to ON1 and looking at Word options:
Options >> Trust Center >> Trust Center Settings >> Macro settings
The option "Disable all macros without notification" should be ticked.
No, DocumentsAntiExploit is not working, ON1 didn't change that setting:

Aantekening 2020-01-14 182734.jpg

And winword.exe doesn't run in AppContainer:

Aantekening 2020-01-14 183057.jpg

The only advantages I see is no extra click and run processes and updates through the Microsoft Store.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
No, DocumentsAntiExploit is not working, ON1 didn't change that setting:

And winword.exe doesn't run in AppContainer:

The only advantages I see is no extra click and run processes and updates through the Microsoft Store.
It is possible that Windows Policies will work (the ON2 setting). But, this should be checked on the document with macro, because the policy settings are not visible in MS Office 365. Do you have any document with a macro?
If not then you can download one from WD demo webpage:
Open it, allow Edit, but do not allow macros in Word (you can but it is not necessary).
If you will see the yellow alert that the macros are disabled or if the cmd.exe will start, then the policies do not work.
If nothing will happen, then policies work.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It is possible that Windows Policies will work (the ON2 setting). But, this should be checked on the document with macro, because the policy settings are not visible in MS Office 365. Do you have any document with a macro?
If not then you can download one from WD demo webpage:
Open it, allow Edit, but do not allow macros in Word (you can but it is not necessary).
If you will see the yellow alert that the macros are disabled or if the cmd.exe will start, then the policies do not work.
If nothing will happen, then policies work.
ON2 does work.
With off I get the yellow alert
With ON2 no alert, nothing happens.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Gandalf_The_Grey,
My Word Mobile requires an Internet connection for some actions. For example, online services are required to open some documents (conversion needed), etc.

Word-Mobile_14.png

Do your MS Office apps require the Internet connection for similar actions?
Can you add manually the rule for Winword.exe via FirewallHardening (<Add Rule> green button)?
I can do it for Word Mobile:

FHMSO.png

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Gandalf_The_Grey,
My Word Mobile requires an Internet connection for some actions. For example, online services are required to open some documents (conversion needed), etc.

View attachment 232159

Do your MS Office apps require the Internet connection for similar actions?
Can you add manually the rule for Winword.exe via FirewallHardening (<Add Rule> green button)?
I can do it for Word Mobile:

View attachment 232160
I think internet access is needed for auto-saving on OneDrive, so I won't block it, but it's very easy to do.

Reactions: Andy Ful

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Actually, this feature is still present in build 19541.1000, the latest Insider build. Whether it's enabled or not depends.

This is a more obscure area that needs to be checked by the administrator or have something like H_C take care of. I cleared the check boxes because SMB1 was actually enabled by default back in v. 1903 or thereabouts and prior. I also switch off Internet Explorer here plus other features I don't want running in the background. (Control Panel\Programs and Features\Turn Windows features on or off) (y)

windows features.PNG

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
it would be good to allow %temp% which is mostly needed by program installations and would be easier then add first a path whitelist and then remove it again.

There is this profile: Windows10_Security_MT (or whatever it's called) which allows exe and temp files to run. This is a H_C profile and isn't a switch.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes, I think it's part of the recommended settings?
Why do you ask this?
Because it probably does not work for your UWP version of MS Office.
So, if you set DocumentsAntiExploit tool to OFF and the H_C <DocumentsAntiExploit> = 'Adobe + VBA' then the macro in the test document will not be (probably) blocked.:(

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
At the SwitchDefaultDeny tool it would be good to allow %temp% which is mostly needed by program installations and would be easier then add first a path whitelist and then remove it again.
You do not need whitelisting anything when installing most applications (see "Run As SmartScreen") on Administrator account. Whitelisting is necessary to run applications already installed in UserSpace (for example in %UserProfile%). SwitchDefaultDeny tool can be used on SUA to install applications in UserSpace, because you cannot use "Run As SmartScreen" to bypass SRP.

Anyway, in the new H_C version, the Recommended Settings on Windows 8+ will include something similar - the folders Appdata and ProgramData will allow EXE and MSI files.

Second I wonder why disable SMB 1 is listed in "more restrictions". SMB 1 isn't any longer available in windows 10 since last year if I remember correctly.
if you upgrade to the new Windows 10 version, the SMB settings do not change.

Also wow. Awesome tool!
Thanks.(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.