shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have Brave installed on Windows 10 ver.1903. After installation, Brave creates two shortcuts, one on the Desktop and the second on Start Menu. They are not blocked by H_C.
I also pinned Brave to taskbar - this added another shortcut in:
C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
This location is not blocked by H_C, too.
The Brave shortcut was probably made somehow in the non-standard location that was not whitelisted by default in H_C
I ran into this problem today with Edge Chromium (stable).
If I pin it to the taskbar from the Windows Start menu, it is not blocked by H_C. But when I launch it, I get two icons in the taskbar.
If I don't use Windows Start menu -- rather, I simply launch Edge, and then right click on the icon and choose "pin to taskbar", that's when H _C blocks it. I am not sure how to unblock it. Even this whitelist rule doesn't work:
C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\*

Windows 10 1909

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I ran into this problem today with Edge Chromium (stable).
If I pin it to the taskbar from the Windows Start menu, it is not blocked by H_C. But when I launch it, I get two icons in the taskbar.
If I don't use Windows Start menu -- rather, I simply launch Edge, and then right click on the icon and choose "pin to taskbar", that's when H _C blocks it. I am not sure how to unblock it. Even this whitelist rule doesn't work:
C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\*

Windows 10 1909
Could you check what was blocked by using <Tools> <Blocked Events / Security Logs>?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@shmu26,
I installed the Edge Chromium. It replaced the native Edge and I have 4 icons: 2 icons in Start Menu (small icon in the left narrow panel and large icon in the right panel), one icon pinned to the taskbar, and one icon on the desktop. All are not blocked by H_C.
It is probable that you use Edge with 2 different setting profiles, so one of them can be in the folder:
c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ImplicitAppShortcuts\
Simply copy the blocked path, and use <Whitelist By Path><Add Path*Wildcards> to whitelist the shortcut.(y)

Edit
The ImplicitAppShortcuts folder will be whitelisted by default for shortcuts in the new H_C version.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@shmu26,
I installed the Edge Chromium. It replaced the native Edge and I have 4 icons: 2 icons in Start Menu (small icon in the left narrow panel and large icon in the right panel), one icon pinned to the taskbar, and one icon on the desktop. All are not blocked by H_C.
It is probable that you use Edge with 2 different setting profiles, so one of them can be in the folder:
c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ImplicitAppShortcuts\
Simply copy the blocked path, and use <Whitelist By Path><Add Path*Wildcards> to whitelist the shortcut.(y)

Edit
The ImplicitAppShortcuts folder will be whitelisted by default for shortcuts in the new H_C version.
I am talking about shortcuts that I made manually, not the ones created when installing Edge Chromium.
The log says
Code:
Access to C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ImplicitAppShortcuts\4ac866364817f10c\Microsoft Edge.lnk has been restricted by your Administrator by the default software restriction policy level.
And adding it to <Whitelist By Path><Add Path*Wildcards> did not help. I tried shortening the path more and more, replacing the latter part of it with *, but to no avail. Even after reboot, it refused to cooperate.

I had the same problem with Brave Browser. But Firefox did not have this issue.

It all depends on how you make the shortcut. The issue arises when you launch the program, and then right-click on icon and pin it. You can have two pinned icons right next to each other on the taskbar, and one works, while the other doesn't.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@shmu26,
If you whitelisted the file path (but not "file path" in quotes):

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ImplicitAppShortcuts\4ac866364817f10c\Microsoft Edge.lnk

via <Whitelist By Path><Add Path*Wildcards>, then after applying changes (or logging off the account), this shortcut will be whitelisted, for sure. Please look at the <Tools> <Blocked Events / Security Logs> to see what is blocked now. It could be that Edge is installed in UserSpace and requires further whitelisting. If so, then simply whitelist the installation folder.

Last edited:

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
I have a question. I was one of the overkill people, using HC and Voodooshield. I removed Voodooshield yesterday. I've got 9 months left on a license for AVAST premium security. Is there any reason to install AVAST Premium and use that firewall and AV, or is that just more overkill?

Why did you remove it ? Please give us full details.

Reactions: [correlate]

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Nope. No other reasons. I like VS, and if HC was not available, I might be running it.

I'm also a fan of ReHips and have tried it (free) several times but find it just above my skill level. HC is solid protection, less the sandbox, and selecting a configuration in HC is only a couple of mouse clicks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.