Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Trying Hard_Configurator again with a new setup.
Use it like SysHardener to harden Windows.
With WIndows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening profile and Validate Admin C.S. off.
Using this profile my HP Office Jet Pro 9015 works without any problems (y)
And would prefer it because it seems that SysHardner has no support and development at this moment.
The support and dedication of @Andy Ful is above anything seen before 👏
Beta 5.0.0.1 is a bit jumpy on my system and asks me to save my configuration every time I open the GUI.
So I'm using the stable 5.0.0.0 now.
At the moment I'm seeing 1 warning in the log:
Event Time Record ID Event ID Level Channel Provider Description Opcode Task Keywords Process ID Thread ID Computer User
28-3-2020 10:22:55.106 1564 4 Warning Microsoft-Windows-Security-Mitigations/KernelMode Microsoft-Windows-Security-Mitigations Proces '\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe' (PID 904) is geblokkeerd voor het maken van een onderliggend proces 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe' met opdrachtregel 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe /Processid:{3EB3C877-1F16-487C-9050-104DBCD66683}'. 2 0x8000000000000000 904 10676 Nitro NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Do you know what this warning means and how I can solve this?

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Trying Hard_Configurator again with a new setup.
Use it like SysHardener to harden Windows.
With WIndows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening profile and Validate Admin C.S. off.
Using this profile my HP Office Jet Pro 9015 works without any problems (y)
That is OK. :)(y)

Beta 5.0.0.1 is a bit jumpy on my system and asks me to save my configuration every time I open the GUI.
So iIm using the stable 5.0.0.0 now.
Do you remember the text in the alert from beta 5.0.0.1? I am not sure what was the problem.

At the moment I'm seeing 1 warning in the log:

Do you know what this warning means and how I can solve this?
The warnings with the channel Microsoft-Windows-Security-Mitigations/KernelMode and Event Id 4, are related to Exploit protection "Do not allow child processes" (not H_C related).
You probably configured Exploit protection mitigations for some applications (maybe Chrome web browser) or this mitigation is predefined (like in the case of Edge Chromium, Outlook etc.).

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
That is OK. :)(y)

Do you remember the text in the alert from beta 5.0.0.1? I am not sure what was the problem.

The warnings with the channel Microsoft-Windows-Security-Mitigations/KernelMode and Event Id 4, are related to Exploit protection "Do not allow child processes" (not H_C related).
You probably configured Exploit protection mitigations for some applications (maybe Chrome web browser) or this mitigation is predefined (like in the case of Edge Chromium, Outlook etc.).
Thanks @Andy Ful (y)
Like @SeriousHoax said:
Every time 5.0.0.1 beta is opened whether you change any settings or not it asks to Log off or Refresh explorer when closing.
I will look into the exploit protection.
Could be VoodooShield related.
Will look if the error also occurs without VoodooShield.
If not I will report it to @danb

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Gandalf_The_Grey,
The GUID from your post ("{3EB3C877-1F16-487C-9050-104DBCD66683}") is related to the WinInetCacheServer. Some people disable Wininet task for privacy reasons, so it can be also related to privacy applications. See for example:

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes the beta version. Btw, I installed this over the 5.0 version.
I tried to reproduce the issue in my VMs, by installing ver. 5.0.0.1 over ver. 5.0.0.0 on Recommended Settings. But, everything works well.
It seems that another security application prevents H_C ver. 5.0.0.1 from making some automatic changes required for the new version.
So, even if you start H_C ver. 5.0.0.1 and close it soon after showing the main window, the alert will be displayed to Log OFF or refresh Explorer. I will try to run update H_C to ver. 5.0.0.1 with installed VoodooShield.
Could you post here the screenshot of the main H_C window on your machine?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@SeriousHoax
Are you sure that the issue can be seen with the Recommended Settings? I tried other H_C setting profiles, too. Finally, I could reproduce the issue, but only when using the profile: Windows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening. This issue is a simple bug that causes unnecessary alerts.
If your issue is as above, then it is not related to incompatibilities with another security.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax
Are you sure that the issue can be seen with the Recommended Settings? I tried other H_C setting profiles, too. Finally, I could reproduce the issue, but only when using the profile: Windows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening. This issue is a simple bug that causes unnecessary alerts.
If your issue is as above, then it is not related to incompatibilities with another security.
Yes, I'm using this profile Windows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening. So the warring only pops up for this profile? 5.0 didn't have this issue.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@SeriousHoax
Andy thanks for checking and @SeriousHoax for reporting

Andy, I used this profile as a baseline for my girlfriend's setup (running H_C with Kaspersky Free) . What is different in that setup that it runs into a bug and the other profiles not?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@Gandalf_The_Grey,
The GUID from your post ("{3EB3C877-1F16-487C-9050-104DBCD66683}") is related to the WinInetCacheServer. Some people disable Wininet task for privacy reasons, so it can be also related to privacy applications. See for example:
Not related to Hard_Configurator, but I think I solved my "WinInetCacheServer" issue.
With your explanation Andy it could only be O&O ShutUp10 or VoodooShield.
Too much protection added by myself in VoodooShield for the new MS Edge.
With VoodooShield at default values, we have a clean log sofar (y)
One of the reasons to love HC, the logs let you see issues you wouldn't have found and solved otherwise. :love:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes, I'm using this profile Windows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening. So the warring only pops up for this profile? 5.0 didn't have this issue.
Andy thanks for checking and @SeriousHoax for reporting

Andy, I used this profile as a baseline for my girlfriend's setup (running H_C with Kaspersky Free) . What is different in that setup that it runs into a bug and the other profiles not?
It is related to the new feature <Update Mode>.
In the profile Windows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening, both EXE and MSI files are allowed globally and the <Update Mode> set to ON or MSI would be redundant. So H_C checks it and makes the correction if required. I did not notice, that due to a bug the correction is performed even if it is not required. Of course, the final settings are OK - simply, unnecessary correction produces unnecessary alerts.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Not related to Hard_Configurator, but I think I solved my "WinInetCacheServer" issue.
With your explanation Andy it could only be O&O ShutUp10 or VoodooShield.
Too much protection added by myself in VoodooShield for the new MS Edge.
With VoodooShield at default values, we have a clean log sofar (y)
One of the reasons to love HC, the logs let you see issues you wouldn't have found and solved otherwise. :love:
Damn, the error is back, investigation continues....
Uninstalled VoodooShield for the moment as part of that investigation.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Okay, it seems that CCleaner was the source of the error:
Event Time Record ID Event ID Level Channel Provider Description Opcode Task Keywords Process ID Thread ID Computer User
28-3-2020 10:22:55.106 1564 4 Warning Microsoft-Windows-Security-Mitigations/KernelMode Microsoft-Windows-Security-Mitigations Proces '\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe' (PID 904) is geblokkeerd voor het maken van een onderliggend proces 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe' met opdrachtregel 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe /Processid:{3EB3C877-1F16-487C-9050-104DBCD66683}'. 2 0x8000000000000000 904 10676 Nitro NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Found by the log of Hard_Configurator and the investigation begins from here:
Had a hard time letting my old friend CCleaner go 😥
But now it's off my system and replaced by Autoruns and PrivaZer
I will keep checking the logs but hope it stays a clean log. 🤔

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
In the new H_C ver. 5.0.1.0, I added additional setting profile named Windows_10_Basic_hardening
It is equal to the Recommended Settings, except that in Recommended Settings the EXE and MSI files are allowed only in user AppData and ProgramData folders. In the Windows_10_Basic_hardening settings, the EXE and MSI files are allowed globally.
I added the profile description:

"Harden Windows 10 while maintaining maximum functionality and compatibility.

Please note: this profile allows the user to install/execute/update applications via EXE and MSI files. The only exceptions are EXE and MSI files executed directly from an archive or email client.
The scripts, shortcuts and other files with unsafe extensions are blocked by default in UserSpace.
The "Run By SmartScreen" entry in the Explorer context menu can be used to check the standalone application installers by SmartScreen Application Reputation service.

It is recommended to use this profile with ConfigureDefender HIGH Protection Level (if WD is the main antivirus) and "Recommended H_C" firewall outbound block rules (see <FirewallHardening> option). The profile can be used also with another antivirus with strong proactive detection."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.