Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
@askalan @Andy Ful It's looking good and it has me thinking. Have you thought about incorporating separate pages or at least links for ConfigureDefender and RunBySmartscreen into the website? Maybe a short section on the Downloads page? This might be useful for those unwilling to take the plunge into the full H_C package? :unsure:
Simple and beautiful, im looking forward testing new version of H_C after may update & clean install

Not sure if you could add the configuredefender as ''other tools'' ?

Because of the interest I have added ConfigureDefender and Run-By-Smartscreen on the download page. But in my opinion it has become a bit more confusing.

hard-configurator.com_download.html.png

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
If you can accept my opinion...I just visited the site "in person." It is not at all confusing; I find it clean and professional-looking. If anything, perhaps consider highlighting the developer's announcement in a different color, perhaps the same shade or a shade or two darker than the very light grey already on the site.

Nice!

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, I think this is fantastic, askalan. The important message is still highlighted and attention-getting, but the color scheme is smooth and professional. You have a lot of strong colors anyway in the spoiler, especially the primal red, so best not to seem too "patchwork" when everything is exposed on the site. What does everyone else think?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@askalan - The download additions do not show on the website - maybe due to a time lag.

I was just throwing the idea out there to see what the feedback was. I don't know that there was enough to warrant the changes. I will let you know my opinion when it shows on the site.

Do you think this color is better? @plat1098

It's too hard to see on your screenshot. It is very faint, looks grey-ish. Maybe my screen has an issue?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You simply need to clear your browser cache (or you visit the site in incognito mode, then you would be able to see the changes).

OK, I got it. I think the main text color is a bit washed out and needs to be darker.

I'm undecided on the download additions. Maybe it's best without. I'd like to hear Andy's response.

And I've loved the grey background with green icons since you first launched the site. (y)

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
SInce im not native in english take all following suggestions with caution:
on Hard_Configurator
But it is better to install Hard_Configurator. This includes these modules and much more!
Maybe change to something like
It is better to install Hard_Configurator since it includes these modules and much more!

GUI to manage Software Restriction Policy (SRP) and harden Windows
A GUI to manage Software Restriction Policy (SRP) and harden Windows

Maybe rezize the three screenshots shown under "screenshots of hard_configurator" so that they have a more similar size? The other two are wider in size than the first one.

Maybe put the announcement under a separate tab like "dev blog" or "future development".
An announcement in a download section is not where i would think i would find one

I realy like the work you guys do :)

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Because of the interest I have added ConfigureDefender and Run-By-Smartscreen on the download page. But in my opinion it has become a bit more confusing.
It is not an essential part of the website, so it is your decision. If you will decide to keep it, then I would change it a little:

Some important H_C components can be used as standalone applications.
Further information can be found in the GitHub repositories:
Those standalone applications may be useful for users who prefer default-allow setup.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
It is not an essential part of the website, so it is your decision. If you will decide to keep it, then I would change it a little:

Some important H_C components can be used as standalone applications.
Further information can be found in the GitHub repositories:
Those standalone applications may be useful for users who prefer default-allow setup.
Thanks Andy. The run by smart screen is perfect for me. Keep the good job :)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Don't forget @askalan for masking a beautiful website (y)
I like the idea form @Freki123 for a sepparate "dev blog" or "future development" section.

Thanks @Gandalf_The_Grey for addressing my inadvertent oversight.

Yes, the website development from @askalan is a key part of the success.

Awards to all who participated.
(To award recipients, print this off and put it in your trophy cases)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
AndyFul It was very good that you thought about doing three stadalone downloads. For persons without experience and persons with bad english like me, it is better to try one by one starting from Run-By-Smartscreen. After ConfigureDefender, and last the AndyFul/Hard_Configurator. Thus you can understand even with very bad english how the application works. Today I installed the Hard_Configurator. if you did not made three applications I would not try it because I was afraid I would make a mistake because of the bad English. The first impressions were excellent. And only with ConfigureDefender. I had a collection of several viruses not very new. Without ConfigureDefender the system was infected very easily. I thought about what i doing again with this garbage :giggle: Then I tested the samples again but Run-By-Smartscreen and with ConfigureDefender defender hi settings. I thought I forgot the Kaspersky on my system :giggle: It blocked everything. I added Bitdefender TrafficLight and netcraft extensions on browsers. Just perfect. I have the feeling that in my system I have the most expensive internet security suite. And windows defender is not heavy on windows 10 1809. Low ram. More fast boot for 360TS . Big surprice for me. Not delays on browsers. Slight delays in opening some apps, but compared wih 360TS one of the lightest antivirus. I continue my tests now with AndyFul/Hard_Configurator. I will tell my impressions when I finish. AndyFul THANKS for this perfect aplication. Now everyone can have a very good protection. Even people who do not have the money to buy one expencive suite. BRAVO :emoji_ok_hand:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
:giggle: Then I tested the samples again but Run-By-Smartscreen and with ConfigureDefender defender hi settings. I thought I forgot the Kaspersky on my system :giggle: It blocked everything.
Thanks for testing. Please remember that very good test results of one test cannot prove that the protection is also very good. It is necessary to compare the test results with several tests. But, there are other indicators that Windows 10 protection with ConfigureDefender high settings + RunBySmartScreen (on demand) can be a very strong default-allow setup. If you remember to run/open via RunBySmartScreen all new files (also documents, media files, etc.), then the results will be similar to the results in @askalan tests for H_C.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for testing. Please remember that very good test results of one test cannot prove that the protection is also very good. It is necessary to compare the test results with several tests. But, there are other indicators that Windows 10 protection with ConfigureDefender high settings + RunBySmartScreen (on demand) can be a very strong default-allow setup. If you remember to run/open via RunBySmartScreen all new files (also documents, media files, etc.), then the results will be similar to the results in @askalan tests for H_C.
Thanks. all the infected files I opened with RunBySmartScreen. I will try to learn. Is dificult for me because of my English. But Step by step i go well until now :giggle: But I have a headache. Think of giving you a program in Greek to set it up :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.