From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I don't know what I did. So I used Windows default Restore to restore and now my programs are working again.

FYI, I'm not using any SRP software.

So your software don't have a Restore feature built-in? To restore one needs to use the Windows default Restore to perform the restore, right?

If I need to uninstall your software do I need to disable all the features or use restore to restore back ts original settings before uninstalling? Is there an uninstalling feature in your software which reverts all the settings to original and uninstall the software?

Thanks

Hard_Configurator has an option to restore Windows defaults (<Tools> - <Restore Windows Defaults>).
Also, you can deactivate all restrictions made by Hard_Configurator, by pressing buttons: <Turn Off All SRP> and <Turn Off All Restrictions>.
The third restoring option is choosing the restore point made by Hard_Configurator during the first run - but this option should be chosen if the system is not responsive.

In your case, the problem (probably) is using portable applications in the User Space - if not whitelisted, they will be blocked by SRP. Hard_Configurator activated SRP when you pressed <Recommended SRP> button.

If you used System Restore made by Hard_Configurator, then of course Hard_Configurator disappeared from your system.:)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@Andy Ful

Hi, my first impressions

Just installed your software. Read through your manuals but I find them not useful for a beginner. This is a problem. You need to create a video to show step-by-step in using your program.

After a Windows restore, the programs and work files need Admin permission to work. I think it's better to solve this automatically after a restoration instead of turning off SRP.

My programs are ALL portable and semi-portable and I have them installed in C:\Users\myname

FYI, Hard_Configurator program is still active on my system after I use Windows Restore

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Ful

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hard_Configurator has an option to restore Windows defaults (<Tools> - <Restore Windows Defaults>).
Also, you can deactivate all restrictions made by Hard_Configurator, by pressing buttons: <Turn Off All SRP> and <Turn Off All Restrictions>.
The third restoring option is choosing the restore point made by Hard_Configurator during the first run - but this option should be chosen if the system is not responsive.

In your case, the problem (probably) is using portable applications in the User Space - if not whitelisted, they will be blocked by SRP. Hard_Configurator activated SRP when you pressed <Recommended SRP> button.

If you used System Restore made by Hard_Configurator, then of course Hard_Configurator disappeared from your system.:)

I just performed System Restore using Hard_Configurator but the folder and files of Hard_Configurator are still there in C:\Windows?

BTW, how to whitelist programs? Can't find the feature in your software.

Thanks

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I just performed System Restore using Hard_Configurator but the folder and files of Hard_Configurator are still there in C:\Windows?

BTW, how to whitelist programs? Can't find the feature in your software.

Thanks

Whitelisting is simple. Choose <Whitelist By Path>, and next <Add Folder>. The Explorer window will appear - choose the folder where your portable applications are located. Finally logoff and logon to refresh changes.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Whitelisting is simple. Choose <Whitelist By Path>, and next <Add Folder>. The Explorer window will appear - choose the folder where your portable applications are located. Finally logoff and logon to refresh changes.

The Whitelist feature is greyed out.

I just want to confirm something

Does turning on Recommended SRP and Recommended Restrictions give the default settings?

What is the procedure for uninstalling your software? Is it

Turn OFF all SRP and turn OFF all Restrictions will be sufficient? How about disabling the whitelist programs? Any others need to be taken into consideration for the uninstalling of your software?

Is there any uninstall button to solve all the changes automatically....make my life easier?

Thanks

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thanks

If you used the restore point made during the first run, then all changes in the Registry made by Hard_Configurator will be wipe out, but files will survive restoring, because they were in Windows directory before the restore point was made.
If one want to uninstall Hard_Configurator semiportable, then:
1.Run Hard_Configurator.
2.Press "Turn OFF All SRP", and next "Turn OFF All Restrictions".
3.Close Hard_Configurator.
4.Delete Hard_Configurator folder from C:\Windows.

The instructions are included in DeInstallation.txt in Hard_Configurator folder.

Reactions: HarborFront

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Is there any uninstall button to solve all the changes automatically....make my life easier?

Thanks

You chose the semiportable version, so the Hard_Configurator folder has to be deleted manually.:)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If you used the restore point made during the first run, then all changes in the Registry made by Hard_Configurator will be wipe out, but files will survive restoring, because they were in Windows directory before the restore point was made.
If one want to uninstall Hard_Configurator semiportable, then:
1.Run Hard_Configurator.
2.Press "Turn OFF All SRP", and next "Turn OFF All Restrictions".
3.Close Hard_Configurator.
4.Delete Hard_Configurator folder from C:\Windows.

The instructions are included in DeInstallation.txt in Hard_Configurator folder.
Ok found it in folder you mentioned.

Do you think you can automate this by having an Uninstall button on the GUI instead of turning OFF SRP & Restrictions, close the program and auto delete from C:\Windows?

One other question

If I'm using installed (not portable) applications do I need to whitelist them? I'm think of using your software on another tablet with installed apps.

Thanks. I think I'm getting a feel of your program now.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

I just want to confirm something

Does turning on Recommended SRP and Recommended Restrictions give the default settings?
Thanks

Yes. But, in your case you have to additionally whitelist your portable applications, and maybe some programs installed in the User Space. The <Whitelist By Path> button is greyed out, because you deactivated SRP.:)
Please, try first Hard_Configurator without SRP (use <Turn OFF All SRP> button), and check if all programs work well.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Ok found it in folder you mentioned.

Do you think you can automate this by having an Uninstall button on the GUI instead of turning OFF SRP & Restrictions, close the program and auto delete from C:\Windows?

One other question

If I'm using installed (not portable) applications do I need to whitelist them?

Thanks. I think I'm getting a feel of your program now.

There is always a problem to uninstall program that is active. It is like to kill yourself and then try to dig one's own grave. I did not think about it, because there is another Hard_Configurator version with an installer/deinstaller.
You have not to whitelist applications installed in default system folders: 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)' (for Windows 64-bit). All applications installed outside those folders, and outside C:\Windows folder, have to be whitelisted, when using Default Deny SRP.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There is always a problem to uninstall program that is active. It is like to kill yourself and then try to dig one's own grave. I did not think about it, because there is another Hard_Configurator version with an installer/deinstaller.
You have not to whitelist applications installed in default system folders: 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)' (for Windows 32-bit). All applications installed outside those folders, and outside C:\Windows folder, have to be whitelisted, when using Default Deny SRP.
Thank you very much

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thanks to @HarborFront, I decided to upload the new version of Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable).zip to GitHub (the link to it is the same) with more detailed instructions in the file Installation.txt .

Reactions: Av Gurus

Thanks to @HarborFront, I decided to upload the new version of Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable).zip to GitHub (the link to it is the same) with more detailed instructions in the file Installation.txt .

Andy... you really need to make a full installer version and a full portable version. I have seen other products that use the method that you are currently using and a lot of users have problems with it. Also, the method seems to be issue-prone on specific systems.

Just a suggestion.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Andy... you really need to make a full installer version and a full portable version. I have seen other products that use the method that you are currently using and a lot of users have problems with it. Also, the method seems to be issue-prone on specific systems.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks. You are damn right! I already made the version with installer, and will upload it to GitHub soon.:)
The problem with full portability is due to <Run As SmartScreen> option, that requires the fixed paths to RunAsSmartscreen and RunBySmartscreen executables.
I prepared this semiportable version, because some MalwareTips members asked for it.:)

Last edited:

Thanks. You are damn right! I already made the version with installer, and will upload it to GitHub soon.:)
The problem with full portability is due to <Run As SmartScreen> option that requires the fixed path to RunAsSmartscreen and RunBySmartscreen executables.
The semiportable version is only because some MalwareTips members ask for it.:)

You know how it goes... one minor problem and you get "Your product suxx !"

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
You know how it goes... one minor problem and you get "Your product suxx !"
All Hard_Configurator reviews, even in the popular printed magazine, were about portable (non existent) program. Autors gave it good marks, but complained that help files did not work, etc. Now I know, that if the program is in a compressed archive, everyone will assume that it is portable.o_O

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.