Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi @Andy Ful

I'm thinking of using the Hard Configurator to harden my Windows.

Just some questions.

Does it come with recommended settings or all settings already enabled without user intervention? If user intervention is needed is there an explanation if the feature is enabled(if it's disabled by default). O&O ShutUp is an interesting software that if you hover the mouse over a feature it gives a short explanation of the feature. Does your software works likewise?

After a Windows firmware update do I need re-enable the features again?

Does this software protects 3rd-party applications or solely protects Windows only?

Thanks
Thanks for testing Hard_Configurator. Everything is explained in the help files as AvGurus said.
Hard_Configurator starts without tweaking the system (except Restore Point and whitelisting autoruns on the first start). It simply reads Windows Registry and shows the state of possible restrictions. You have to press buttons to activate/deactivate restrictions, and Log-Off/Log-On to refresh the system.
The recommended tweaks are activated after pressing <Turn On All SRP> and <Turn On All Restrictions> buttons.
If you made Creators Update in Windows 10, then you have to set:
<Run As SmartScreen> ='Standard User'
<Hide 'Run As Administrator>= 'OFF'
Microsoft changed SmartScreen so <Run As SmartScreen> ='Administrator' does not work (it will be solved in the new program version).

I made Windows Creators Update and all tweaks survived. But, with Microsoft you cannot be certain ...

The tweaks are mainly system wide. There are some tweaks that can be directed to concrete software (SRP whitelisting by hash).

If you have any questions, do not hesitate, and post here.:)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Thanks for testing Hard_Configurator. Everything is explained in the help files as AvGurus said.
Hard_Configurator starts without tweaking the system (except Restore Point and whitelisting autoruns on the first start). It simply reads Windows Registry and shows the state of possible restrictions. You have to press buttons to activate/deactivate restrictions, and Log-Off/Log-On to refresh the system.
The recommended tweaks are activated after pressing <Turn On All SRP> and <Turn On All Restrictions> buttons.
If you made Creators Update in Windows 10, then you have to set:
<Run As SmartScreen> ='Standard User'
<Hide 'Run As Administrator>= 'OFF'
Microsoft changed SmartScreen so <Run As SmartScreen> ='Administrator' does not work (it will be solved in the new program version).

I made Windows Creators Update and all tweaks survived. But, with Microsoft you cannot be certain ...

The tweaks are mainly system wide. There are some tweaks that can be directed to concrete software (SRP whitelisting by hash).

If you have any questions, do not hesitate, and post here.:)
Thanks.

I've a set up which runs only using portable....pretty limited in software as compared to installed versions. Yes, one or two may belong to the semi-portable type.

I'll wait for your new version especially the semi-portable one

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Ful

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hard_Configurator version 3.0.0.0 has been released.
octocat-spinner-32.gif

Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable).zip
Please, remember to copy Hard_Configurator program folder to Windows directory.

What is new?
  1. <Run As SmartScreen> was updated to work with Windows 10 Creators Update.
  2. Some names of the buttons were adjusted to the names used in 'How do Software Restriction Policies work' articles.
  3. Added new options: <Disable 16-bits>, <Shell Extension Security>, <Disable Command Prompt>, <Disable Elevation on SUA>, <Block PowerShell Sponsors>, <MSI Elevation>.
  4. Hard_Configurator is distributed as an Inno Setup installation file (except this version).
  5. For Windows Vista and Windows 7, automatic System Restore Point creation was changed to manual.
  6. Improved 'Load Defaults' option.
  7. Added 'Documentation' option to view Hard_Configurator manual and 'How do Software Restriction Policies work' articles, from within the program.
  8. Updated manual and 'How do Software Restriction Policies work' articles.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hard_Configurator version 3.0.0.0 has been released.
octocat-spinner-32.gif

Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable).zip
Please, remember to copy Hard_Configurator program folder to Windows directory.

What is new?
  1. <Run As SmartScreen> was updated to work with Windows 10 Creators Update.
  2. Some names of the buttons were adjusted to the names used in 'How do Software Restriction Policies work' articles.
  3. Added new options: <Disable 16-bits>, <Shell Extension Security>, <Disable Command Prompt>, <Disable Elevation on SUA>, <Block PowerShell Sponsors>, <MSI Elevation>.
  4. Hard_Configurator is distributed as an Inno Setup installation file (except this version).
  5. For Windows Vista and Windows 7, automatic System Restore Point creation was changed to manual.
  6. Improved 'Load Defaults' option.
  7. Added 'Documentation' option to view Hard_Configurator manual and 'How do Software Restriction Policies work' articles, from within the program.
  8. Updated manual and 'How do Software Restriction Policies work' articles.
So is this new version semi-portable? If no, when will the semi-portable version be released?

Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, so put the entire Hard_Configurator folder into Windows directory.

And ran the Hard_Configurator(x64) app and encountered 2 errors

1)

There was an error reading the file. @Error: 1

2)

Line 24032 (File "C:\Windows\Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable)\Hard_Configurator\Hard_Configurator(x64).exe"):

Error: Subscript used on non-accessible variable

Thanks

Also, it created a restore point for me. My restore point wasn't enabled by default

BTW. is there any youtube video on this step-by-step how to use this app?

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
OK, so put the entire Hard_Configurator folder into Windows directory

Line 24032 (File "C:\Windows\Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable)\Hard_Configurator\Hard_Configurator(x64).exe"):

Also, it created a restore point for me. My restore point wasn't enabled by default

BTW. is there any youtube video on this step-by-step how to use this app?

That is why I decided to make the installer - many users have problems with semi-portable stuff.

You did not copy the 'Hard_Configurator' folder, but 'Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable)\Hard_Configurator' folder. So, if you look into the Windows directory, you will see:
'Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable)' folder, but not 'Hard_Configurator' folder.

Please, double-click on the file 'Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable).zip' in Windows Explorer. You will see the folder icon with the name 'Hard_Configurator'. Copy this folder (right-click, choose Copy). Find in Explorer the Windows folder (do not open it). Right-click on Windows folder and choose Paste from the context menu.
Look into the Windows directory, and now you should see 'Hard_Configurator' folder.

On the first run Hard_Configurator makes the restore point, even If you have it disabled.

There's no video, but maybe I will make it, soon.:)

Thanks. Do not hesitate to post here if you have any problem with Hard_Configurator - it will help other users.:)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Works quite nicely At the moment.

by the way : <Disable Elevation on SUA> what is the difference between OFF1 and OFF3

(lazy to read the PDF right now ^^ )

Thanks for testing.:)

User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users

The User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users policy setting controls the behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users.

The options are:

• Automatically deny elevation requests. When an operation requires elevation of privilege, a configurable access denied error message is displayed. An enterprise that is running desktops as standard user may choose this setting to reduce help desk calls.

• Prompt for credentials on the secure desktop. (Default) When an operation requires elevation of privilege, the user is prompted on the secure desktop to enter a different user name and password. If the user enters valid credentials, the operation continues with the applicable privilege.

• Prompt for credentials. When an operation requires elevation of privilege, the user is prompted to enter an administrative user name and password. If the user enters valid credentials, the operation continues with the applicable privilege.
The last two options have registry values 1 and 3 (so I named them OFF1 and OFF3).:)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
That is why I decided to make the installer - many users have problems with semi-portable stuff.

You did not copy the 'Hard_Configurator' folder, but 'Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable)\Hard_Configurator' folder. So, if you look into the Windows directory, you will see:
'Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable)' folder, but not 'Hard_Configurator' folder.

Please, double-click on the file 'Hard_Configurator_3.0.0.0_(semiportable).zip' in Windows Explorer. You will see the folder icon with the name 'Hard_Configurator'. Copy this folder (right-click, choose Copy). Find in Explorer the Windows folder (do not open it). Right-click on Windows folder and choose Paste from the context menu.
Look into the Windows directory, and now you should see 'Hard_Configurator' folder.

On the first run Hard_Configurator makes the restore point, even If you have it disabled.

There's no video, but maybe I will make it, soon.:)

Thanks. Do not hesitate to post here if you have any problem with Hard_Configurator - it will help other users.:)
OK, re-done and is starting properly now. Will take a look at it and post any problem, if any

Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I made the same mistake at first.
I am very happy with Hard_Configurator. I don't use the SRP, just the Windows tweaks, to supplement the AV on my wife's computer.
I want to fully optimize the software to harden my Windows. I need to know what are the items there need to be ON or OFF and the value to set. Of course items not using SRP will be OFF, right?

Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, need help urgently.

Just now went to press here and there and now my browsers(Opera, Chromium and Firefox) cannot start up. Some programs also not working.

How to restore the original settings? Is there a restore function in the software or do I need to use Windows default Restore to perform the restore?

Thanks

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
OK, need help urgently.

Just now went to press here and there and now my browsers(Opera, Chromium and Firefox) cannot start up. Some programs also not working.

How to restore the original settings? Is there a restore function in the software or do I need to use Windows default Restore to perform the restore?

Thanks

It is easy. Use <Turn OFF All SRP> - this deactivate SRP, which possibly block something in the User Space. Could you post the screen with Hard_Configurator options you have made, please?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have just installed Opera - it works on my system with Hard_Configurator recommended settings (<Recommended SRP> and <Recommended Restrictions>). I will try Firefox and Chromium in a moment.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It is easy. Use <Turn OFF All SRP> - this deactivate SRP, which possibly block something in the User Space. Could you post the screen with Hard_Configurator options you have made, please?
I don't know what I did. So I used Windows default Restore to restore and now my programs are working again.

FYI, I'm not using any SRP software.

So your software don't have a Restore feature built-in? To restore one needs to use the Windows default Restore to perform the restore, right?

If I need to uninstall your software do I need to disable all the features or use restore to restore back ts original settings before uninstalling? Is there an uninstalling feature in your software which reverts all the settings to original and uninstall the software?

Now, ALL my software and work files require Administrator permission before can start. What's wrong now after the restore? OK, turning OFF SRP solved this problem

Thanks

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
OK, need help urgently.

Thanks

If you use portable software located outside C:\Windows, C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) , then the portable application must be whitelisted to run with SRP.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.