Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
The HDD keeps turning off
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Disabling automatic shutting down the HDD in power plan settings
Hello! I have recently upgraded my PC with SSD. Now I have Windows installed on the SSD. The problem is that I hear the HDD turns off randomly even though I have set the option to turn off the HDD to "never" in the power plan settings. Please note that the HDD shows Disk 0 and the SSD is Disk 1 when installing Windows.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Please note that the HDD shows Disk 0 and the SSD is Disk 1 when installing Windows.
That's probably the issue right there, in my experience, it's best to disconnect everything but the mouse and keyboard when doing an OS install, even wait to partition the drive until the OS is installed. You could continue as is but there will be imperfections like the one your speaking of :cry:

Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
That's probably the issue right there, in my experience, it's best to disconnect everything but the mouse and keyboard when doing an OS install, even wait to partition the drive until the OS is installed. You could continue as is but there will be imperfections like the one your speaking of :cry:

I have disconnected the HDD and kept the SSD. Now doing a clean install and after I finish I’ll plug the HDD. Thanks ;)

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

I just installed an SSD....on thing all my research says is that the drive with the operating system on it should be attached to drive 0 on the mother board.
This makes no difference, I've had multiple systems across multiple drives in the past and never had problems. This problem of the HDD D/C randomly, I only seen it once and was caused by a damaged PSU.

My guess is your PSU cannot take the extra load since you added the SSD to the system.

Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Yes, if there are no other drives connected, that will be the default config, if you leave peripheral drives connected during installation, it's a coin flip as to what MS will do.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

I've not read on this but I believe that a SSD power needs are minuscule, what is your knowledge of the matter ?
Power consumption of an SSD goes around 5W, and can go as low as 3W. But in the end it doesn't matter if the PSU is overloaded by the rest of the Hardware.

As I said, I've seen this happen before and was caused by the PSU being damaged and not meeting the power requirements (and yes only the storage would turn on/off, the rest of the PC was working "fine").

Windows power saving features, won't cut off a drive power (as this would damage the drive), it hibernates it max.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.