Advice Request Help in choosing a password manager

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

dark_wielder

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

I use Google Chrome because it can sync all my information and passwords on different devices but i don't like its stability. I want to use other browsers, but then I have problems.

I am looking for a free password manager extension, I am waiting for your suggestions. I tried the Opera and the new Edge before, but later I couldn't transfer my passwords to Google Chrome. I manually added :mad: my new passwords because the file formats are different. It is very important for me that the export ability of the extension I want to use is compatible with Google Chrome. Might be needed later.

I wanted to try Bitdefender Wallet, but I couldn't import my passwords because Google Chrome is not compatible with export.

It is important for me that export and import format compatibility, reliable and free.
I am waiting for your suggestions .

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
@security123 you just overcomplicate things imho.
Why should I save a part of the data in the browser (which is less secure) or playing around with syncing databases when I can simply use password manager?
For banking I use dedicated app with biometric safeguards + token generator.

Anyway, OP asked for help with choosing best free password manager so maybe we can just stick to that?

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why should i sync all my passwords (and other data) to other devices if they don't need all data? Only increase attack surface.
In LastPass, at least, you can opt to require additional security before viewing / filling individual saved credentials.
1588457433674.png

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

@security123 you just overcomplicate things imho.
Why should I save a part of the data in the browser (which is less secure) or playing around with syncing databases when I can simply use password manager?
For banking I use dedicated app with biometric safeguards + token generator.
Wait. I only speak about non important data which can be saved in browser.
And i'm not sync any database. It was only a option for DDE_Server
For banking i doesn't use any App (which only increase attack surface). I use the login data from my locally KeePass + TAN token generator which isn't connected to any devices (not even possible).

In LastPass, at least, you can opt to require additional security before viewing / filling individual saved credentials.
View attachment 238586
That's fine but still a online service and also in KeePass additional security can be configured too:
- Password
- keyfile
- connect with Windows account (offline / online)

and: all of that can be enforced at Secure Desktop so none keylogger can sniff it ;)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Update
You are correct, you cannot import saved passwords into Chrome from new Edge.

I'm not doubting this, but it seems crazy that two browsers with a shared background can't talk to each other well enough to import or export data between them. It makes it seem like it was done deliberately.

I trying Lastpass for my passwords. But there are so many Bitwarden suggestions that I will try it too.

Here is another BitWarden recommendation! I've used it consistently for the last 6 months, trying Keepass and 1Password alongside it when I decided to look for the 'one' that I would settle on. I liked both of them too, but BitWarden convinced me that extra bit more. I've tried LastPass, DashLane, Roboform, Sticky and others over the years, for now BitWarden meets my needs; functionality and reliability being primary requirements.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
But Bitwarden has limitations for free for only two devices/persons? I am using Norton because it's completely free with unlimited syncing to ALL devices and unlimited storage. Bitwarden is alot like Norton with the "web vault". But I have a family of three on three PC's and we need to not be limited to how many members/devices you can "share" on! I used Lastpass until they kicked the free users to the curb and limited to no syncing unless you pay. And it looks like with the recent changed Enpass is doing I am afraid they may soon do the same.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Thats for Business/Organization..

In family, personal & friends you can sync to all devices and store unlimited items in the vault as well
Ok cool, thanks for info. I didn''t know that. Their page layout and info is a bit confusing. Will the browser extension itself work for pretty much everything? As in, asking to save and replace/update passwords,form fill and generate passwords too or do I need to also run the desktop client?

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Their page layout and info is a bit confusing.
Me too lel

Will the browser extension itself work for pretty much everything?

Yea its 100% no problem for me the auto-fill is disabled by default for security reason you can enable it. you can give it a try ..

As in, asking to save and replace/update passwords,form fill and generate passwords too or do I need to also run the desktop client?

they have them in extension, desktop, mobile app and others i guess

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Ok cool, thanks for info. I didn''t know that. Their page layout and info is a bit confusing. Will the browser extension itself work for pretty much everything? As in, asking to save and replace/update passwords,form fill and generate passwords too or do I need to also run the desktop client?
Yes it will.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Hmm.. having problems with latest firefox 76.01 and the bitwarden extension... it is installed but I have NO icon showing and going to add ons confirms it is installed. I made an account but that seems to be all i can do! :confused:

*Update* ooops nevermind. I didn't allow for private browsing tab. For some reason there was a hiccup and had to change the setting. I never got the prompt.

Aaaah! Bitwarden is not very helpful with importing from Enpass or Norton. I got rid of some errors in the fields but everything now imports to another folder NOT in login and so no web page login is saved correctly and they don't work and are not recognized. Hour and a half now of frustration.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
You can give Enpass a try. It allows you to sync your encrypted vault to your cloud. It is fairly cheap.
I have Enpass and I don't like their recent shift to a "lite" version and their payment tiers. Writings on the wall for the desktop app probably like Lastpass did.
Their desktop app is horrible btw having to use the Microsoft store to install and update and it's just slow and seems bloated. I currenty use Norton and trying to give Bitwarden a try but it is being challenging! LOL.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Aaaah! Bitwarden is not very helpful with importing from Enpass or Norton. I got rid of some errors in the fields but everything now imports to another folder NOT in login and so no web page login is saved correctly and they don't work and are not recognized. Hour and a half now of frustration.
Unfortunately this is very common issue with many passwords manager.
In order to import my passwords from Bitwarden to 1Password I had to run some Perl scripts first.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Unfortunately this is very common issue with many passwords manager.
In order to import my passwords from Bitwarden to 1Password I had to run some Perl scripts first.
Yes I had alot of problems in the past. I just gave up with Norton and had to manually go to each site with each password manager running to add them. Ugh. I am hoping not to have to do that with Bitwarden. I haven't give up yet.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Guys some opinions about Enpass? Thanks!
Did you see my post above? I don't like it because you HAVE to run the desktop app along with the browser extension and it feels clunky and always slow to pop up and load. I also don't like the fact that they are changing license and now the free desktop version is labeled "lite" and I bet they remove syncing feature for free soon.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.