Status
Not open for further replies.

russ0408

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I don't know if anyone noticed this but last night I noticed there was a new Voodooshield Beta available, so I went to download it. When I did try and download the new Voodooshield, Avira stopped the download and did a scan to see if the software was safe or not. I've used Avira quite a few times in the past and never seen it do this before. This is pretty cool, I think the new Free Avira is by far the best freeware antivirus. It's simple and it works!

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I am getting ever more tempted to switch from Avast Free to Avira Free..
I am impressed with Avira's AV-test results over the last 6 months,and slightly disappointed with Avast's..
Comparisons of "Signature based detections" will not sway me to replace Avast,but HIPS Comparisons possibly could.

Regarding VoodooShield: I thought that the new 3.31 BETA was for those that had experienced the "freeze issue" from previous BETAs...and that installation of 3.31 was not recommended for those that had not experienced the freeze as it could include new bugs in an effort to pinpoint previous ones..I am using Version One of BETA 3.30.
Apologies if you were aware of this and had installed 3.31 to help Dan fix the freeze.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
No, thanks Logethica I wasn't. I just figured 3.31 was the version with the bugs ironed out of it. lol. Well thanks for the info. Gees I feel kind of dense now. lol I guess I can blame it on old age.
You shouldn't feel that way @russ0408 ....A week or so ago many of us (myself included) were expecting 3.31 to be the version that included the new M$ signed driver as well as (as you say) the fix for the "freeze bug" ...so to instinctively download this version was not foolish of you.:)...There is not a great possibility that you will experience problems with 3.31,so keeping it will do no harm.

D

Deleted member 178

I don't know if anyone noticed this but last night I noticed there was a new Voodooshield Beta available, so I went to download it. When I did try and download the new Voodooshield, Avira stopped the download and did a scan to see if the software was safe or not. I've used Avira quite a few times in the past and never seen it do this before. This is pretty cool, I think the new Free Avira is by far the best freeware antivirus. It's simple and it works!

Not an HIPS , but more a Reputation feature. HIPS blocks execution by asking if you allow or not; Reputation services blocks downloads

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Not an HIPS , but more a Reputation feature. HIPS blocks execution by asking if you allow or not; Reputation services blocks downloads
Was about to say the same, Great catch Umbra :)

@Logethica
I installed the update as well, I had no freezing issues but if there is some kind of bug for those that update and were not aware of what this update was intended to fix, I wanted to help
point those out in an attempt to help Dan, he has been good to so many I figure what the hell right. ;)
So far there are no noticeable Ill effects and the software seems to be functioning as solid as ever.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I am getting ever more tempted to switch from Avast Free to Avira Free..
I am impressed with Avira's AV-test results over the last 6 months,and slightly disappointed with Avast's..
Comparisons of "Signature based detections" will not sway me to replace Avast,but HIPS Comparisons possibly could.

Regarding VoodooShield: I thought that the new 3.31 BETA was for those that had experienced the "freeze issue" from previous BETAs...and that installation of 3.31 was not recommended for those that had not experienced the freeze as it could include new bugs in an effort to pinpoint previous ones..I am using Version One of BETA 3.30.
Apologies if you were aware of this and had installed 3.31 to help Dan fix the freeze.
This is the version with the EV certificate according to Dan

VoodooShield ?
This version of VS is signed with the EV certificate, so it should be good to go for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update!

Once install, it states its Version 3.31 Beta

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Was about to say the same, Great catch Umbra :)

@Logethica
I installed the update as well, I had no freezing issues but if there is some kind of bug for those that update and were not aware of what this update was intended to fix, I wanted to help
point those out in an attempt to help Dan, he has been good to so many I figure what the hell right. ;)
So far there are no noticeable Ill effects and the software seems to be functioning as solid as ever.
Good Man CG :)...

This is the version with the EV certificate according to Dan

VoodooShield ?
This version of VS is signed with the EV certificate, so it should be good to go for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update!

Once install, it states its Version 3.31 Beta
Thanks @Azure Phoenix :)....I did not install that version due to "faircot" saying that it "locked his system solid" VoodooShield ?

The latest version (as you know) came a few posts further down.This had the SyncBindingSource removed...and Devs instructions were.. "So anyone who is not experiencing the freeze issue, please do not install this version!!!"

D

Deleted member 2913

Is Launcher still there in Avira products?
Coz Avira offline installers page lists Launcher & other products download separately.

If I download AviraVPN then Launcher is installed too And cannot be uninstalled as uninstall mention needed for VPN.
But if I download AviraVPN from Avira offline installers page then Launcher is not there i.e not installed.

Is it the same with other Avira products i.e offline installers comes with minus Launcher?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Is Launcher still there in Avira products?
Coz Avira offline installers page lists Launcher & other products download separately.

If I download AviraVPN then Launcher is installed too And cannot be uninstalled as uninstall mention needed for VPN.
But if I download AviraVPN from Avira offline installers page then Launcher is not there i.e not installed.

Is it the same with other Avira products i.e offline installers comes with minus Launcher?

In the end the offline installers would also install the launcher, it's something that avira bundles with all their products no matter how you try to circumvent it. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.