Solved HitMan Pro Hangs a Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
When I run a scan of HitMan Pro I notice that my CD I am playing skips sometimes. Once in a blue moon I get a BSOD from it and that skipping music sound continues until I hit the reset button. HitMan seems to hang on Image Burn when my music skips.
What is up with that?

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
It must be scanning the files responsible for decoding and playing back the audio, as well as a general performance decrease from running the scan in the first place.

My expert solution, don't run a scan when you want to listen to music.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I feel ya.
I was not to concerned about it, but I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had anything to add or take away from it.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Scanning like Hitman Pro generally consumes some resources in order to complete the operation as possible. + its been really advise to make a scan without any certain application running.

Upvote 0

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If you have the same music on a different PC, try running Hitman Pro and that music on another machine. Just to find out if it could be the music or something else on the system.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Apparently I had some spam/grayware/adware issues. I ran a tool and all is smoother now.
Besides that, this system and OS is ancient and has been used very hard, and as a result; VERY MOODY.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you want to get the full benefits from Hitman Pro, run the scans in Windows Safe Mode with Networking. Don't start any processes except those necessary for Windows to function. The scanning is much faster because no files are locked by Windows and nothing interferes with the scans.

You might be surprised that how fast the scans are in Windows safe Mode.
That applies to most security products that scan your system.

Enjoy!!:D

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I figured out that the BitDefender engine in HitMan Pro was causing my hangs.
JUST KIDDING. :)

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Once in a blue moon my HitMan scans take over 20 minutes, which is absurd. At that point, I know it is time to activate a RESTORE POINT. That seems to be the only way to correct an extremely slow boot time which coincides with an extremely slow HitMan Pro scan.
It is something to do with TCP/IP and max number of connections, or some such nonsense. Wireless + XP = SO DAMN BUGGY.

Think this is the culprit (via Event Viewer "system"):

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts"

When HitMan Pro begins to act as if I have a very slow wireless connection and takes 20+ minutes to scan (usually done in 2 minutes), I force it shut and then I reboot. When I see the little red light, by the power switch, on my tower, flickering away in a constant, yet dim lit fashion, I know it is time for a RESTORE POINT. It is peculiar to say the least.
Usually, ANY restore point works to remedy this condition, so it seems it is unrelated to new software or relative updates, but is due to some glitch that is remedied by system restore actions in themselves, not what is restored (if that can make sense).
The last time this happened, the only thing I had done was to update HitMan Pro, run a GMER scan (nothing found or removed) and updated Mozilla (The latter could be the culprit). After I did a system restore this time, which gave me my 20 second boot time back and fixed the slow HitMan Pro scan, Mozilla update would not function properly, so I could not get version 20. I then restored to a point a few days after the recent restore point that remedied the slow boot an slow HMan Pro scan. After the second restore point, Mozilla Firefox updated completely, and for some reason the new update package was around twice as large as the initial try, even though the restore points I used were no more than 5 days old.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.