Battle Hitman Pro vs MalwareBytes vs Comodo Cleaning Essential vs Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I prefer to use and would still recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

- Free without limits (compared to HMP)
- Least FPs (compared to EEK and CCE)
- No large downloads (compared to EEK and CCE)

Reactions: WinXPert

malware medic

Oct 6, 2012
Littlebits said:
malware medic said:
what people don't seem to understand is that malwarebytes doesn't scan for every TYPE of virus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVB1ueU8Bk

There isn't any scanners that scan for every type of malware.
That's why you have to use a combination of several to get the job done.

Enjoy!!:D
Its made to only get malware. Which is usually 90% of the problem
People don't really know that.
It is the best at detecting malware but again, it doesn't solve all of ur problems. I would just use comodo cleaning essentials and malwarebytes antimalware.

malware medic

Oct 6, 2012
Earth said:
I prefer to use and would still recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

- Free without limits (compared to HMP)
- Least FPs (compared to EEK and CCE)
- No large downloads (compared to EEK and CCE)

I'm not saying not to recommend it or use it. In fact I use it on all my computers. I'm just saying that it is not complete on its own.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
malware medic said:
Littlebits said:
malware medic said:
what people don't seem to understand is that malwarebytes doesn't scan for every TYPE of virus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVB1ueU8Bk

There isn't any scanners that scan for every type of malware.
That's why you have to use a combination of several to get the job done.

Enjoy!!:D
Its made to only get malware. Which is usually 90% of the problem
People don't really know that.
It is the best at detecting malware but again, it doesn't solve all of ur problems. I would just use comodo cleaning essentials and malwarebytes antimalware.

A little advice, don't take every youtube video review and malware tests serious. They will only paint one half of a side of a four sided building. Many are deceptive either intentionally or unintentionally. Most are not performed by professionals and use bad malware samples not widespread in the wild.

Malwarebytes detects most of the malware not detected by your real-time AV.

malware medic

Oct 6, 2012
Littlebits said:
A little advice, don't take every youtube video review and malware tests serious. They will only paint one half of a side of a four sided building. Many are deceptive either intentionally or unintentionally. Most are not performed by professionals and use bad malware samples not widespread in the wild.

Malwarebytes detects most of the malware not detected by your real-time AV.

It even says on the website that it is only a malware remover. Thats why it says 97% of online threats come from malware. Malware is the majority of the problem but not all of it.While I do agree that is the best Malware remover, I wouldn't use it ALONE when cleaning up a computer.

I didn't base this on that youtube video. That was just supposed to be a little example.

P

Plexx

MBAM has Chameleon, decent detection rate and removal is quite good.

HMP has Force Breach mode (or something along those lines), decent detection due to its engines but at the same time higher FPs and not free as it has been mentioned above.

CCE: apart from a rather large database download, it does have Aggressive mode and FPs have decreased for quite some time now. Only downfall for me is the slow scan speed.

EEK: again, apart from rather large database, it is still a reliable solution and has other tools to complement as long as the user knows how to use it.

If I was to choose: Combo of MBAM and EEK for removal, COMODO's Killswitch and Autoruns for identifying processes and HMP for a final check.

So basically all those tools will give the user one way or another use.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I voted for mbam cause it's free and one heck of a good removal tool, but I also agree with Mclovin why not have the best of all worlds :p

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
On systems with several infections I always boot into Windows Safe Mode with Networking to update databases before running scans because most malware can not function in Safe Mode.

1. Malwarebytes is my first choice for a scanner.
2. Hitman Pro is my second choice if Malwarebytes doesn't detect everything. Most of the time Malwarebytes does get everything.
3. If malware is still present, then I use Emsisoft Emergency Kit. The main tool I use is HiJack Free. It is more precise than Comodo Autoruns and Killswitch (which is not needed in Safe Mode anyway). Emsisoft scanner also has a much better scanner than CCE and updates much faster. Emsisoft HiJack Free is probably the best advanced tool to manually remove infections not detected by scanners. However it is really no longer needed most of the time since Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro together usually gets everything.
4. If for some reason Malwarebytes, HitMan Pro and EEK fails to remove everything or system is still corrupted, then I simply backup user files and re-install Windows. No need to work any longer when it doesn't take me that long to re-install Windows, update and restore user files.

Of coarse if a system is highly infected, I always just backup user files and re-install Windows. It is the best solution to make sure everything is gone and system is stable. It is also much faster and easier than to have to use several scanners, repair system corruption and try to removed malware manually.

Thanks.:D

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
MBAM is good enough for average users. What some more fun use HMP PRO. I am thankful I have a license. But be damn sure to read what it wants to remove. Still not satisfied then do a cloud scanning with Panda Active Scan or ESET Online Scanner. That should rid of 99% threats. The last 1% are the rootkits. Rootkits can be a bit tricky. I usually get a Hijack this log and then if needed go in for GMER.
Or sometimes I just use AVAST's scanner disk as GMER Tech is built right into their anti rootkit component.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Littlebits said:
On systems with several infections I always boot into Windows Safe Mode with Networking to update databases before running scans because most malware can not function in Safe Mode.

1. Malwarebytes is my first choice for a scanner.
2. Hitman Pro is my second choice if Malwarebytes doesn't detect everything. Most of the time Malwarebytes does get everything.
3. If malware is still present, then I use Emsisoft Emergency Kit. The main tool I use is HiJack Free. It is more precise than Comodo Autoruns and Killswitch (which is not needed in Safe Mode anyway). Emsisoft scanner also has a much better scanner than CCE and updates much faster. Emsisoft HiJack Free is probably the best advanced tool to manually remove infections not detected by scanners. However it is really no longer needed most of the time since Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro together usually gets everything.
4. If for some reason Malwarebytes, HitMan Pro and EEK fails to remove everything or system is still corrupted, then I simply backup user files and re-install Windows. No need to work any longer when it doesn't take me that long to re-install Windows, update and restore user files.

Of coarse if a system is highly infected, I always just backup user files and re-install Windows. It is the best solution to make sure everything is gone and system is stable. It is also much faster and easier than to have to use several scanners, repair system corruption and try to removed malware manually.

That's my way of thinking, if you use 3 or 4 of the best scanners available and your pc is still not right then re-installing is the best thing to do vs. hours and hours of additional scans and you still might not be totally successful at 100% removal.
I personally use DBAN or KILLDISK then I re-install windows :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
MRF71 said:

lol, Dban before reinstalling Windows, that is what i call : "a wise paranoid" man

welcome to my world :p

It's not necessary if you do a full format with your Windows disk which I always do when reinstalling Windows.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Each of them have their pros and the best thing is that most of them are on demand so you can use at your wish.
I feel Malwarebytes along with hitman pro is a good combination and can save a person even if he is without real time av

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
MRF71 said:

lol, Dban before reinstalling Windows, that is what i call : "a wise paranoid" man

welcome to my world :p

I mainly do that on infected pc's, my personal hdd maybe once or twice a year. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Re-think, the OP didn't mention anything about an Infected PC.

Not infected: Malwarebytes and/or HMP.

JoboTechnopeasant

Jul 4, 2014
I don't normally login to my win7 laptop laptop with admin rights but it got a root kit anyway.

This POS would launch several instances of IE and attempt to contact multiple "-search.com" sites such as
"health-search.com" and "aqua-search.com" and "name-search.com. "

It got past both corporate VIPRE and malwarebytes. VIPRE was utterly oblivious and MBAM wouldn't clean it but it would block it several times a minute as it tried to reach out.
CPU would spike to 100% and stay there.
Also tried, tried the following in safe-mode and regular mode as admin to no avail.
"ComboFix", rebuilt MBR with "aswMBR", and FRST

HITMANPRO V3.7 cleaned it up on the first scan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Overkill
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.