File and Photo backup
Windows and Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Windows

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I have 8 GB of ram and I started to use AMD Radeon RamDisk and configured for a 4GB V-Memory as it stated, a seperate Disk is been created and it seems, the ram resource has raised up to 71%, but I dont know how its working. Can you elaborate?
What you're seeing is a cumulative mem. usage of physical mem. & virtual RAM disk, wherein your browsing cache, possibly low/medium memory intensive apps are stored or redirected to store on path of ram disk. If its a lappie, you'd observe some performance hits in some situation(s). In layman's terms, consider RAM disk as a clone of Daemon tools whose job is just to mount disk images(in RAm disk it stores browser cache or similar) temporarily and unmounted immediately after use.
If there's confusion, someone expert who uses RAM disk as a daily driver would be more helpful.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I have been investigating this RAMDisk software uses lately and I have been wondering that how useful it could be.

@hjlbx would you like to share your configuration of RAMDisk with me/us?, so that we/I could get in hand of its uses.

And which software do you recommend for this kind of operation? I have 8 GB of RAM, currently I have installed Radeon RAMDisk Software and have set its memory to 2 GB.

Thankyou..

Reactions: Logethica
H

hjlbx

Thread author
So it seems like you do a lot of testing and hence require this RamDisk. So what would be the operation speed of it when compared to your SSD?

Really apologize @Purshu_Pro.

To be honest, I don't know how much SoftPerfect RAM Disk speeds up browser relative to the built-in SSD. I see a "virtualization" delay when I use RAM Disk on my SSD system - much like the second or two delay when opening a browser in Sandboxie. So RAM Disk actually causes a second or two delay to launch of browser.

If you post your question on SoftPerfect forum you will get definitive technical answer. RAM Disk advantage on SSD system is mostly security related and not speed related. On HDD, RAM Disk makes very noticeable difference in speed.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I have been investigating this RAMDisk software uses lately and I have been wondering that how useful it could be.

@hjlbx would you like to share your configuration of RAMDisk with me/us?, so that we/I could get in hand of its uses.

And which software do you recommend for this kind of operation? I have 8 GB of RAM, currently I have installed Radeon RAMDisk Software and have set its memory to 2 GB.

Thankyou..
It's alright @hjlbx please read the above quote and let me know if you can possibly assist me.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
It's alright @hjlbx please read the above quote and let me know if you can possibly assist me.

I use freeware SoftPerfect RAM Disk.

I use volatile RAM Disk = entire contents are not retained after system reboot.

I set RAM Disk size to 700 MB for browser Temp folders.

To accomplish this, you must set browser Temp folder file path to Drive Letter: RAM Disk name.

There are tutorials on-line for all the browsers; perform searches for browser + Softperfect RAM Disk.

There is support forum at SoftPerfect; search through previous threads - many technical infos to be found to questions you may have.

There is some technical infos and short tutorials at SoftPerfect.

The config is simple:
  • Create RAM Disk
  • Mount RAM Disk
  • Direct browser Temp - and\or other Temp folders - to RAM Disk
If you follow tutorials you will figure out how to use SoftPerfect RAM Disk in a very short period of time.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I use freeware SoftPerfect RAM Disk.

I use volatile RAM Disk = entire contents are not retained after system reboot.

I set RAM Disk size to 700 MB for browser Temp folders.

To accomplish this, you must set browser Temp folder file path to Drive Letter: RAM Disk name.

There are tutorials on-line for all the browsers; perform searches for browser + Softperfect RAM Disk.

There is support forum at SoftPerfect; search through previous threads - many technical infos to be found to questions you may have.

There is some technical infos and short tutorials at SoftPerfect.

The config is simple:
  • Create RAM Disk
  • Mount RAM Disk
  • Direct browser Temp - and\or other Temp folders - to RAM Disk
If you follow tutorials you will figure out how to use SoftPerfect RAM Disk in a very short period of time.

Must have lot of RAM for doing this, right?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Must have lot of RAM for doing this, right?

700 MB for IE and FF browser temp folders.

I have 12 GB RAM, that's what I assign, 700 MB to RAM Disk.

If I use Shadow Defender and use Write Cache to RAM, I can use probably up to 6 GB or more.

Some trial-and-error adjustment on committing amount of RAM is necessary; there is no magical formula... except definitely do not use too much RAM. I use no more than 50 %.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@hjlbx I have tried to move the Google chrome cache to a ram disk, but It seems like its not working for me. When ever I scan with my ccleaner it shows the internet history and cache from the main drive instead of pointing towards the RAMDisk. Wereas in IE some of RAMDisk Cached files will be detected by CCleaner and some wont, I am not understanding this. Do you know why? I tried to resolve this, but was unsuccessful in it.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Browsers store datas in different locations - for example, history, passwords, form fill, off-line web pages, etc.

If you wre expecting to move browser cache to RAM Disk and CCleaner would find nothing then that is not how it works.

All you should expect is that the temporary cache will be emptied once you reboot your system.

Does this make sense ?

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Browsers store datas in different locations - for example, history, passwords, form fill, off-line web pages, etc.

If you wre expecting to move browser cache to RAM Disk and CCleaner would find nothing then that is not how it works.

All you should expect is that the temporary cache will be emptied once you reboot your system.

Does this make sense ?
Short answer: Yes, that the idea behind RAM Disks. You can change cache settings of FF in about:config.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Does this make sense ?
Yes. So what are the most possible ways to reduce writes in SSD ?. Its been just a month for my new SSD, and it has already got 2TB writes. I think by seeing this average usage of mine, I feel like my SSD warranty will get expired in just 3 Years. So I am now worried after purchasing this expensive SSD. I didnt knew that we must take care of things so cautiously with an SSD.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Yes. So what are the most possible ways to reduce writes in SSD ?. Its been just a month for my new SSD, and it has already got 2TB writes. I think by seeing this average usage of mine, I feel like my SSD warranty will get expired in just 3 Years. So I am now worried after purchasing this expensive SSD. I didnt knew that we must take care of things so cautiously with an SSD.

Same concern for me since I own an ultrabook which uses SSD only. Plus with 4GB of RAM, I'm bound to use my SSD space if my programs sucks up my RAM. Right now idle mode it's already 58% consumption (from CIS + HMPA).

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Chrome writes lots on drive so moving that to a mechanical drive or the ram disk will help. Also disable fast boot if you don't care about a few more seconds of boot time and have win8/10 and for sure if you do any torrenting move that folder on the hdd.
For chrome follow this: Start Google Chrome in Incognito Mode with a Shortcut
Btw pretty sure chrome location needs " which will be or similar depending on chrome install location "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --incognito

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Seems like most of them are going back to old school security which is much better than modern tech schools ! May I ask why did you remove RAMDisk ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.