Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
1 - Kaspersky
2- Norton
3- G Data
4- F-Secure
Then it would make sense.

site graph was made based on the $$$$ (y)

Reactions: oldschool

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Agreed with HIPS..but fp's issue here
*HIPS* horns for all the activities with in a OS irrespective of nature.
Even shut down makes the HIPS horn...!

That's the best part about a HIPS. You want to be aware of what is happening. At any given time. At least i do. HIPS is not that big of a hassle.

You need some technical background to be able to handle Interactive/Policy-based mode, for basic users it's recommended to use Automatic or Smart mode.

Well aware of that. ESET i would not recommend to basic users. Unless their willing to learn. But that is very few. Just trying to show ESET does have zero day capabilities.

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
All major tests made recently have shown Windows Defender doing well. I think we must adjust our opinion of WD accordingly.
Considering many people I know don't consider the AV and security as a critical part of their technology vision, well the fact that WD is integrated in Windows and it has improved a lot, it is a good thing.
Maybe on some configurations, there are still performance problems, but there is probably room for improvement even in this context.

amico81

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
WD has improved...no doubts. But the settings ( for example pup detection via reg edit) are really not user friendly.
i'm not sure about the "behavior blocker capacites"......the defender is for me just a basic antivirus and difficult to manage without third-party-tools. after this test result i still prefer norton/eset/kaspersky

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

It's nice to see a test that actually shows significant differences between the various AVs. I wonder what SE-LABS does different?

I agree! While one should always take any test with a grain of salt, its nice to see that not all products are at that imaginary 99-100% mark you see with many tests.

I used to think it lacked zero-day. But based on a user over at ESET forum, it looks like it actually does.
rapid ransomware detection?

I wonder if their Live Grid would be considered part of their zero day protection? From my understanding Live Grid has some "Machine Learning" capabilities, so I would consider that some form of zero day protection.

All major tests made recently have shown Windows Defender doing well. I think we must adjust our opinion of WD accordingly.

I Agree! I understand that previously it really bombed on tests, and it showed, even on AV comparatives, but Microsoft has made a lot of progress lately. Personally I think they have invested a lot in their cloud protection hence why we are seeing these improvements. Like Microsoft or not, you have to give them credit, they have turned WD around and its no longer at the bottom of the pile. Is it perfect? no... but then again no product is perfect.

Maybe on some configurations, there are still performance problems, but there is probably room for improvement even in this context.

I agree with the performance part. TBH I think it was WD's performance that was holding it back from wider adoption, however, ever since upgrading to 1809 I have to say WD's performance has improved from 1803. I think there are other members here that have noticed the same, so its definitely getting better.

WD has improved...no doubts. But the settings ( for example pup detection via reg edit) are really not user friendly.
i'm not sure about the "behavior blocker capacites"......the defender is for me just a basic antivirus and difficult to manage without third-party-tools. after this test result i still prefer norton/eset/kaspersky

Maybe one day we will see these settings become present in the UI, but that may be a ways off. Personally I think Microsoft is trying to avoid support calls, so maybe there some hesitance on their part, but with tools like Configure Defender, its super easy to change the settings.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Kaspersky and Norton finish at the top --- where they normally do. No surprise there.

Trend seems to be trending down. ESET seems to be trending up.

Trend does seem to be on a downward Trend lately. Norton and ESET no surprise, both decent. But Symantec is really becoming world class.

Green Kool-Aid at the bottom is no surprise to anyone is it? Does anyone even use it anymore?

I'm concerned with Gdata struggling lately.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Trend does seem to be on a downward Trend lately. Norton and ESET no surprise, both decent. But Symantec is really becoming world class.

Green Kool-Aid at the bottom is no surprise to anyone is it? Does anyone even use it anymore?

I'm concerned with Gdata struggling lately.

Ah hah.... Sly checks in.

You have (had) inside knowledge on Trend. What's going on with them? Trend was competing in the top tier for a while. But now... not so much.

And yeah, my old AV.... G DATA . I used to really like that AV. It has sorta slipped into mediocrity.

1540865724535.png

I'm not trusting in German Sicherheit anymore..

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Trend is a long story.

1) Talent lost when the fusion with Booz Allen took place, and some disagreement from talent about the militarization of it.
2) Focus on HES AI and BEC systems, HES is a cash cow for Trend, so it's smart they put a lot of R&D into the BEC and AI systems.
3) Deprecation of Worry Free+Home lines in favor of the new Apex offering coming soon. So the R&D is going strong into their XGen offering which won't share the same underpinnings of Worry Free/Maximum Security, which still shares lineage with PC-Cillan.

All of those played into the decline lately. Trend is largely moving to their Apex Suite which will render their Worry Free and Maximum Security almost totally obsolete. Apex should put Trend at the top again, but expect some further declines in their normal offerings as the full force of their development teams move to that lineup (SaaS).

PS: I am still around, but certain changes in my career have required a much lower profile out and about. So I limit my exposure to a greater degree these days. :confused:

Considering many people I know don't consider the AV and security as a critical part of their technology vision...

The vast majority of Average Joes that I see use either default Windows security or Avast Free because it is promoted so hard everywhere online.

The vast majority of Average Joes that I see refuse to pay for security softs.

Those Average Joes that use default Windows security, when asked why they haven't improved their security, typically respond "What ?"

Average Joe just wants the latest and greatest digital gizmos. What is important to them is does it work and how fast can they get it out of the box and up-and-running ?

Average Joes place a high priority on what to take out of freezer for supper, what time they will do their laundry, and what clothes they should buy. Protecting their data and finances probably isn't even a priority for them. They don't know. They're happy in their ignorance. And even if they were informed by someone who explains they should take their IT security more seriously, they very likely would care less. All of it would go in one ear and out the other.

People on these forums don't get that these forums are literally a miniscule microcosm. The points of view here more than likely represent something on the order of less than 0.1 % of the population.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Maybe one day we will see these settings become present in the UI,
Windows Defender actually has a button to turn on advanced protection, but it is hidden at the present, due to a certain registry setting. In some coming update, that button will magically appear, and you will have ASR at a click.
But you still won't be able to fine-tune it, without Andy Ful's ConfigureDefender tool.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
ESET lacks any zero day modules
false!
Firewall with ids, botnet protection, Solid parental control(system-wide), Advanced memory scanner and anti-exploit they are all zero-day protection modules.
Also, Eset adds API monitoring in ver 12! Eset never talks about important Changes/improvements in HIPS or any other module(modules get updates without any changelog)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Personaly I accept that webroot in "bottom" !
Due to my small test , Webroot detection is very low average/ I see no BB(but malware also do nothing!) ?!
but the good thing is (I think) they do good job against ransomware,in my tesets (you can see) Untill now system never Encrypted.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
false!
Firewall with ids, botnet protection, Solid parental control(system-wide), Advanced memory scanner and anti-exploit they are all zero-day protection modules.
Also, Eset adds API monitoring in ver 12! Eset never talks about important Changes/improvements in HIPS or any other module(modules get updates without any changelog)
Normal end user doesn't need these features at all..Because they never work!
If u clearly examine, Eset was vulnerable to all the ransom attacks during outbreak!
Though they claim they blocked WC through firewall eternal blue ..Even that's a signature based update..Their Uefi scanner god should know!
How would I expect these features from a vendor to work who cannot just come up
with a BB
Moreover Avast , Quick heal , G data all these guys are better over eset in every part since they have balanced protection..But these results are just opposite
If I remember correctly Nss labs sued some vendors claiming to influence the tests and results, Eset Avira McAfee were in that list!
Nothing against Eset, but facts should be out right !

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
They're happy in their ignorance. And even if they were informed by someone who explains they should take their IT security more seriously, they very likely would care less. All of it would go in one ear and out the other.

And they are also the first to bother you at anytime when something does not work anymore.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It is common sense that the test results are not very helpful for the reader or end user if SE Labs does not publicly reveal the settings and configuration used for each product.

:X3:
I just emailed them:

Could you please share the specific settings and configuration of the various products tested in the most recent Home Anti-Malware Protection report?
We can't effectively evaluate the results without knowing the customized settings that were applied.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.