Troubleshoot How do I use AOMEI and which BACKUP option is best?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Initilizing don't move and freezes up when I cancel it.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None, gave up.
Trying to use AOMEI backupper, I never backed up before, and have no idea what i tried to do (it didn't work), and do I need ISO image or can I try something else on AOMEI? .....

My reason for needing a backup, is not for my data... I have that on DVD's already, what I want is for tweaking windows, registry tweaks, uninstalling and installing a new free Anti-Virus, etc.

but I want backup before doing this, in case of problems in these future actions.

How many GB's do these backups take? MY HD is 108 GBs capacity and 46GB remain.

If I cannot figure this out, even with help... I'll put trust in the system restore points.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I will ofter my 2 cents while you're waiting for WellDone. First thing, it's good that you were able to restore back to factory. At least I think that's what you have done. You're talking about XP and upgrading service packs. I assume your talking upgrading to XP3. That is a very old operating system and is no longer being supported, which will leave you venerable to all kinds of problems.Microso$$t will no longer offer patches to XP3. You really need to think about upgrading your OS. I'm really not sure, but I think your wanting to use this old machine to test different programs and you want to be able to restore your OS with a back up image. It is always good to have a back up image of your HD.
Macrium Reflect is a great program. I have been using it for 10 years and it has saved me several times. I have read your thread several times and some times it is very confusing to me. One thing I have noticed is that a chkdsk was made and all bad sectors were repaired.
Was that done before the image was created or after. Also did you get the message that Macrium completed the image successfully.
After a image is created, it should be verified to make sure the image will be-able to used to restore your PC with that image.
You can also mount the image and verify that all the image is there. There are lots of tutorials telling you all these things.
IMHO is is not a good idea to change the size of the C partition. In theory it probably should work. I have never shrank the C drive.
I always create a back up image and save it to my external drive.
I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. It is very simple to create a image of your drive and restore that image with Macrium Reflect.
Good luck. I hope you Get-er_done;)

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
lol git er done time at the not so ok computer corral. ;)
Yeah I didn't have an extrernal drive, yikes... so, its probably just as well, i learned some. This windows xp OS is a security risk indeed,and isnt a great OS to be creating a back up, in shrinking. 117GB total space.

I didn't know they were such large files to backup... WellDone and I tried to cpmpress to 35GB's, but still wasnt enough. Now I know the reasons it failed so I will back up different ways since I probably will be moving on from this PC eventually, For now I do need it, so, when its upgraded again. I can use malwarebytes and AV and hope for best.

System restore and recovery works great on the old PC. So I will rely on this or a rollback program.. instead of Image creation stuff.

I did try system restore before going to recovery but it was a lost cause. Had to re-install xp using recovery.

the boot up time is much better now, the first partition added 20 more seconds and xp just didn't like it..

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I do have an external, but is 4GB... and contains recovery for xp... which is how im still able to use that PC... a nice perfect rolback system , second time i had to use it. first time i was able to save the data, but this time it wasnt possible.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi friend! I don't know how else I can help you.Here's a screen shot of my external drive with several Macrium images! I run W7 and as you can see the images are 17GB's or larger. It's been to long sense I used Macrium to back up XP. There shouldn't be a problem creating a back up image of XP3???

Attachments

• Capture49.JPG
    Capture49.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 456
Reactions: JakeXPMan
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Hi friend! I don't know how else I can help you.Here's a screen shot of my external drive with several Macrium images! I run W7 and as you can see the images are 17GB's or larger. It's been to long sense I used Macrium to back up XP. There shouldn't be a problem creating a back up image of XP3???

Hi guy,
I am good, thanks for advice bud. I'll have a look at the backups... Yes an XP backup is very possible but better on external drive, so no conflicts like i am on the C drive. Lesson learned lol.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.