Troubleshoot How do I use AOMEI and which BACKUP option is best?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Initilizing don't move and freezes up when I cancel it.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None, gave up.
Trying to use AOMEI backupper, I never backed up before, and have no idea what i tried to do (it didn't work), and do I need ISO image or can I try something else on AOMEI? .....

My reason for needing a backup, is not for my data... I have that on DVD's already, what I want is for tweaking windows, registry tweaks, uninstalling and installing a new free Anti-Virus, etc.

but I want backup before doing this, in case of problems in these future actions.

How many GB's do these backups take? MY HD is 108 GBs capacity and 46GB remain.

If I cannot figure this out, even with help... I'll put trust in the system restore points.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Good luck! I'm now totally lost. It sounds like WellDone was a big help to you. Team viewer is a great program.
Happy computing !;):(
PS No big deal. I stay lost a lot any more. Senility:D
Good team effort. Glad you Got-er-Done
I am sure just under restore options just click browse for a image file then click computer and it should show up there.
Screenshot_2014-12-29 13.20.12.png

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
some bad news, stuck in a boot loops, from trying to increase size , argh... partition, it turns out it didn't backup, it wasnt enough size,... i can boot up the USB RELEFCT but no idea if this will help without image... i believe WellDone might be wokring or busy since i havent seen him since our last event view.

but i do have system reocvery on drive D... i might need to roll back in time, unless a fix??

seems that windows does this, if changes are made to system 32 files... its very touchy!

what do u guys think could reflect help?

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Did you click on verify image first before restoring. It is always a good idea.
Screenshot_2014-12-29 16.33.0.png

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Did you click on verify image first before restoring. It is always a good idea.View attachment 38928

well the restore failed but i fell alseep and assumed it worked... so tonight i decided to get the allocated space back. but increasing the size of the xp partiton just caused the black screen re-booting over and over.

right now im in Reflect booted from USB stick, but no image is in there, cuz it failed...

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
it must have caused an issue with the drivers or windows is protecting itself... by looping or what it means, the drive is OK... but cannot boot windows xp... and the increased partition did nothing i still see 37GB which was suppost to go back into the XP sector or total size.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
theres something on the USB reflect boot that says...
When the backup completed did you get a message Image created succesfuly?

i fell asleep it actually failed. eee, but the USB Well and I made which has relfect bootable , there's an option that says fix boot problems.. would that do anything>?

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Not sure on fix boot problems have never used it before never had to. Have you already moved position of partition it may have damaged the image?

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Not sure on fix boot problems have never used it before never had to. Have you already moved position of partition it may have damaged the image?

there wasnt enough space for the image, it never was created. :eek: i thought it worked, but no.

so i figured i'd free the space that backup was suppost to be, which re allocating free space didnt work, r and just caused a loop the first 5 seconds of boot up, i can try to safe mode, and that just loops too now.

my ways out are the USB or system recovery

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I hate to say but it is not sounding good. I am not really familiar with XP but can you run a start up repair and roll it back that way to a previous point in time as in system restore?

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I hate to say but it is not sounding good. I am not really familiar with XP but can you run a start up repair and roll it back that way to a previous point in time as in system restore?

yeah i know its not too good here, a bootable USB was created by WellDone but hes not on right now to ask if it can help.

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Can you still boot from the usb and did you attempt to look for the image? Or do you wan't to wait for WellDone to help out?

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Can you still boot from the usb and did you attempt to look for the image? Or do you wan't to wait for WellDone to help out?

no image is there, but i see option for fix windows boot... this could be useful... but i probably shoudld wait for WellDone. As I dont know enough. bt reflect has some windows files on the USB... it could work, but we'll find out.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Ok then i will leave it for WellDone i wish luck and success.

thanks... i need some luck, not a good time for a major issue... as i should be sleeping. but at least theres a laptop here i can use so i can get help or futher advice. peace out, i should get rest now.

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I've learned to be very cautious with commercial backup progs. I haven't had a single instance of Aomei's rescue disk succeeding at restoration in a year's time, out of many tries. Blue screens every time, usually when browsing for the image. Great prog, I just don't know what's wrong, and I've tried both Linux and WinPE rescue disk media.

And so I switched to clonezilla, tried and true. It's harder to work with, but it works.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
okay system recovery worked... clean install of XP. at least it can be used again.

gonna have to upgrade service packs, my data files and all that. at laest most is backed up on DVD's :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.