Troubleshoot How do I use AOMEI and which BACKUP option is best?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Initilizing don't move and freezes up when I cancel it.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None, gave up.
Trying to use AOMEI backupper, I never backed up before, and have no idea what i tried to do (it didn't work), and do I need ISO image or can I try something else on AOMEI? .....

My reason for needing a backup, is not for my data... I have that on DVD's already, what I want is for tweaking windows, registry tweaks, uninstalling and installing a new free Anti-Virus, etc.

but I want backup before doing this, in case of problems in these future actions.

How many GB's do these backups take? MY HD is 108 GBs capacity and 46GB remain.

If I cannot figure this out, even with help... I'll put trust in the system restore points.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Click new backup.
Screenshot_2014-12-27 17.0.5.png
Screenshot_2014-12-27 17.0.28.png
Click disk backup.
Screenshot_2014-12-27 17.0.48.png
Click select disks to backup.
Screenshot_2014-12-27 17.5.56.png
Select destination. Then start backup after choosing the destination.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Please follow frogboy's post :)

You have to create a restore disk(USB or DVD) to restore the backup image,irrespective of the backup software you use since restore can't be done from the OS.

The USB I have is 8GB.

I do think I have some spare DVD data discs?

I can't seem to find how large the actual size of an ISO Image will be, strange.

Windows XP (sp3) OS.

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
To restore just boot from the USB created and follow the prompts. Cannot do screenshots of that sorry.

Upvote 0
S

Sr. Normal

Expanding the excellent @frogboy information :

If you not have an external hard drive , you have to create a partition for your backup destination.

You can configure email notifications , Schedule ...

X0Mf8uP.png

upload_2014-12-27_10-21-2.png

It is really complete , if a little slow . Very important , you can create a recovery CD

upload_2014-12-27_10-21-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-27_10-19-15.png
    upload_2014-12-27_10-19-15.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi It's all there. It just requires a little effort to learn the program. Macrium Reflect is much easier, but AOMEI seems to have more bells and whistles. You have to understand what a back up image of your OS is and what it does first!!
I'll be still now. You have some excellent help. I will just observe and learn!;)

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
The USB I have is 8GB.

I do think I have some spare DVD data discs?

I can't seem to find how large the actual size of an ISO Image will be, strange.

Windows XP (sp3) OS.
If you backup to disks do not create USB create boot media to a disk also.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Expanding the excellent @frogboy information :

If you not have an external hard drive , you have to create a partition for your backup destination.

Attached the C and D drive... the d drive is windows system files.

Attachments

• Disk.JPG
    Disk.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 532
  • Disk Management.JPG
    Disk Management.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 0

Welldone

Level 5
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
@JakeXPMan You need to shrink the Windows volume and create a new partition for saving the backup image.If you don't mind,i can help you via TeamViewer.Please install TeamViewer and PM me your ID and password..:)

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
@JakeXPMan You need to shrink the Windows volume and create a new partition for saving the backup image.If you don't mind,i can help you via TeamViewer.Please install TeamViewer and PM me your ID and password..:)

Oh I get it :)

So it is possible with my HD space, with a compression/shrink and partition?

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Yes from experience it will shrink down to most likely less than 35Gigs at a guess with a normal compression rate.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.