Advice Request How fast do Chromium based browsers follow Google's Chrome updates/releases?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The only way to fight or confirm impressions or hearsay is by factual data. Therefore I am asking forum members using a Chromium based browser (.e.g Edge, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi, Woolyss Chromium, Ungoogled, etc) to post when they receive an update which contains the security updates of Google's Chrome's latest.

To kick off with latest thread from MalwareTips Bot

May 20, 2020 Google Chrome 83.0.4103.61 has been released

When you use a different Chromium based browser please post when you received this update also

P.S.
For data gathering one confirmation per browser would be sufficient. When the mods also think this information ads value to the Browsers & Extension forum section, please make it a sticky. When this thread becomes a sticky (and members keep this a clean thread, with limited off topic posts) I promise to collect the data and publish it in a spreadsheets to monitor the update delay of different Chromium variants.

1589958955253.png

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Mhh Opera updated to 68-0-3618-125, but according to blog (on may 19th) only contains fixes for news update on start page. Opera 68.0.3618.104 released on 13 may contained 'upgrade' to Chromium 81.0.4044.138, this makes it plausible to assume that 68-0-3618-125 is also based on Chromium 81.0.4044.138.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Mhh Opera updated to 68-0-3618-125, but according to blog (on may 19th) only contains fixes for news update on start page. Opera 68.0.3618.104 released on 13 may contained 'upgrade' to Chromium 81.0.4044.138, this makes it plausible to assume that 68-0-3618-125 is also based on Chromium 81.0.4044.138.
Based on this page: Opera version history - Opera Help
Aantekening 2020-05-21 132816.png
I think Opera 69 will be the first Opera version with Chromium 83.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
According to @oldschool post Brave is also behind: On May 21th Brave update: Version 1.9.72 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Vivaldi usually installs security updates on same day than google chrome, but when it comes to new version like 83 in this case, snapshot of vivaldi is at 83 currently and there is no rush to update stable to 83 as fast as possible
Do you have release notes with security updates of Vivaldi, if so great, if not than it is not factual proven and does not count as secured.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Mine's still at 81 and says it's up to date :unsure:

What is your Windows 10 language/region? I think Microsoft is releasing the updates in waves ...

You can check the stable version here:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
What is your Windows 10 language/region? I think Microsoft is releasing the updates in waves ...

You can check the stable version here:
I'm not from USA but my region on Windows 10 is set to USA. Didn't thought about checking their site. Thanks. Maybe they're doing a rolling release.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I think Microsoft is releasing the updates in waves ...
Indeed. I'm still at 81.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brave release version should catch up to Chromium 83 --> June 9, 2020 and then follow with a 4 week cycle to keep in sync with Chromium. I just posted release info at post #145 Brave browser release thread.

Brave Release Schedule

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Do you have release notes with security updates of Vivaldi, if so great, if not than it is not factual proven and does not count as secured.
Blogi | Vivaldi Browser is what i follow, and theres frequently security updates from upstream on every minory update usually

About release notes, not sure if that exist on specific page...bit busy cleaning my house right now

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I had downloaded Chrome 83 and Edge 83 to have a look at the changes. The browser functionality starts to diverge noticeably

Edge chromium has additional anti-tracking, family safety and collections (which Chrome does not have). I can't find the DNS over HTTPS in Edge 83 (in Chrome it is a new setting in privacy & security). Also the site settings (permissions) have diverted quite a bit. Chrome has additional settings: File access, Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality, which Edge does not have.

Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality in the browser are features which marketeers like very much. Image using your smartphone as a city guide with virtual tourist guide and interesting places tags on buildings and objects you point your phone camera at. Or use your phone as a VR goggle in archaeological site and wandering back to ancients times. It is like bringing in-game advertising to the real world with augmented reality and VR.

Microsoft seems to focus on parents (family safety) and students (collections for research on papers etc). In marketing it is called 'time is on my side' strategy, meaning develop features in your product to entice future generations to start using your product. When next generations prefers your product above the (old) market leader, your marketshare grows automatically.

I did a target segment analysis using collections and it is really a neat feature to collect and organize source information in much easier way than copying pasting it into note, word or powerpoint. When kids are forced to use Edge by their parents (due to family safety) and start to use collection for school papers, they probably keep using Edge when they go to high-school/university (not under parent's digital safe guarding anymore) . So Microsoft might have an Edge over Google here :)

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 83.0.478.37: May 21

Release notes:

Chromium Security Updates for Microsoft Edge:

How to update the new Microsoft Edge web browser manually (works 100% of time):

Microsoft Edge 83: Progressive Rollouts
Starting with Microsoft Edge 83, a browser that is been released in May 2020, Microsoft changed the distribution of updates from being made available to all systems to a progressive rollout system.

Progressive rollouts limit the availability of the update by rolling updates out gradually over a period of time. Microsoft uses the time to monitor the update process and gather feedback to react more quickly to issues that may arise.

By monitoring the health of our updates closely and rolling out the updates over the course of several days, we can limit the impact of issues that might occur with the new update. With Microsoft Edge release 83, Progressive Rollouts will be enabled for all Windows 7, Windows 8 & 8.1, and Windows 10 versions of Microsoft Edge. We will support Microsoft Edge on Mac as soon as it is ready.

@Nightwalker mentions the most convenient option to get the latest version right away:
From here:

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I can't find the DNS over HTTPS in Edge 83
You can use chrome:/flags to enable it on edge, for me it will leak my current isp dns + the one im using throught ipv4

On firefox im using dns over https , wich is possible to enable through settings
Opera also has option to enable dns over https like google chrome

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.