Q&A How many MT users are using COMODO security products?

Discussion in 'Comodo' started by Evjl's Rain, Dec 7, 2016.

?

Are you a COMODO user?

1. Yes

72 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. I have tried Comodo, however I'm not using it

73 vote(s)
    45.1%
  3. No, I have never tried a Comodo product

17 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Level 14

Apr 30, 2012
    I use CF on one of my PC. It's fine there. I almost don't use that PC now.

On my main PC it just cannot install - detects its remnants from previous installations. I tried several times that terrible procedure "Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS..." with no avail. Now I'm happy user of products other than Comodo.

rockstarrocks, AtlBo and uninfected1 like this.
  2. DJ Panda

DJ Panda Level 29

Aug 30, 2015
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Little did I know that after I tried Comodo Firewall it would have been the worst program I have seen in my life. Never trying it again, makes Malwarebytes 3.0 seem stable and fast.

uninfected1 and AtlBo like this.
  3. darko999

darko999 Level 16

Oct 2, 2014
    Not for everyone, for me it's the fastest and light firewall. I have literally 0 impact on system performance.

CodaPG, rockstarrocks, Tiny and 4 others like this.
  4. Dave Russo

Dave Russo Level 3

May 26, 2014
    Hvac
    Connecticut
    Went with cruel sisters setup for a while,had performance issues,difficult for me to use,so switched to others

AtlBo likes this.
  5. simmerskool

simmerskool Level 4

Apr 16, 2017
    non-profit corporate consultant
    USA
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    ? just checked: my "do not virtualize access to" were already unticked, so you may have mentioned it somewhere ;) or it's a default setting, as I started using CF@cruel_comodo about 2 months ago, and immediately used your settings after I installed it. Never looked back. :D:D

AtlBo likes this.
  6. simmerskool

simmerskool Level 4

Apr 16, 2017
    non-profit corporate consultant
    USA
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    curious. CF10 on win7 with cruelsister's settings, very light here! I know "every pc is different" just surprised you had performance issues.

7. pablozi

pablozi Level 22
    Trusted

Jun 14, 2011
    Null Island
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    #47 pablozi, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    I believe it has been shown in the origial settings video.

--EDIT--
    I was right: 8:05

rockstarrocks, Tiny and AtlBo like this.
  8. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Level 8

Jan 17, 2014
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Using Comodo Internet security now for a few days. I'm actually pretty happy with it. My system is more responsive than it has been
    with other apps.

The AV with cloud protection on isn't half bad either.

9. Bombus

Bombus Level 1

Jun 12, 2016
    Translator
    Lithuania
    Windows 7
    BitDefender
    #49 Bombus, Jul 8, 2017
    Comodo firewall user since about 2008 or 2009. Sandboxie user since the same time. Without Comodo firewall and Sandboxie i would feel myself naked. Avast is for the first line of defense.:) And I Would like to add that if some software is not compatible with Sandboxie, for me that software is no no number 1 (like Kaspersky or Dr.Web) and if some antivirus is not compatible with Comodo is a second no no (like Kaspersky, Panda etc) .

10. Bombus

Bombus Level 1

Jun 12, 2016
    Translator
    Lithuania
    Windows 7
    BitDefender
    Solarlynx, i had that problems with installing the newest version of comodo. After all problems: I downloaded Comodo 7 offline installer. Installed it. Updated it to ver 8. After updated to ver 10. No problems. What product you are using now?

rockstarrocks, Solarlynx and AtlBo like this.
  11. AtlBo

AtlBo Level 22

Dec 29, 2014
    Qihoo 360
    Comodo Firewall since v10. Tempted to go to CIS, but Qihoo with Bitdefender engine and its clever tricks underneath keeps me from trying it.

Anyone using Comodo for awhile ever considered deleting self created rules and starting over? Think I might be at this point now. Keep noticing little things about what CF does with alert allows and I kind of feel like seeing if can develop a more logical rules strategy. Ex. maybe I can run auto-contain set to Limited rather than Restricted->fewer sandbox "Ignore rules" and less "Unrecognized" files being turned into "Trusted" from an allow or unblock.

rockstarrocks and Bombus like this.
  12. blueblackwow65

blueblackwow65 Level 11

Dec 19, 2012
    I find Comodo very good ,not any worse than other free products out there.For example Bitdefender free very heavy and does not play well with other security products.Qihoo since they started ads in their products have gone downhill with protection and resources are high.Panda is a hard drive driven nightmare continual disk usage.Not saying these products are awful ,just that each one like Comodo have there problems.

CodaPG and rockstarrocks like this.
  13. Bombus

Bombus Level 1

Jun 12, 2016
    Translator
    Lithuania
    Windows 7
    BitDefender
    Does Malwarebytes have a firewall? MABM has the best PUA and antifake protection in the industry. And It has a good antiexploit and antiransomware protection. Comodo has it all by isolating all ,,unknown". The problem is how to set Comodo -that is true. For me - now problem. Fallow cruelsister's suggestions. With the best regards. I hope You won't be offended by my comment ( I understand English very good, but my writing and speaking are very bad).:)

rockstarrocks, Solarlynx and AtlBo like this.
  14. Bombus

Bombus Level 1

Jun 12, 2016
    Translator
    Lithuania
    Windows 7
    BitDefender
    #54 Bombus, Jul 8, 2017
    Qihoo (with bit and avira enabled) and comodo very good protection, but I was afraid of frying my laptop. I went back to Avast. Still i think that comodo+Qihoo is the best protection( add to them Sandboxie or use browsers under supervision of comodo containment via right click or widget). Once i had even worse case: maybe 3 or 4 years ago Comodo on my wifes PC started to block everything (even task manager). Maybe it was an infection. What concerns deleting self creating rules, i noticed it, but it was related with: I disabled (after i have installed) Hips, and maybe 2 or 3 days later I enabled hips it was asking about programs that i have already have used before ( or something like this).

Solarlynx and AtlBo like this.
  15. VeeekTor

VeeekTor Level 5

May 16, 2017
    PNW
    Windows 10
    Comodo

I like the part about "your're not going to marry them" AND "Do not fertilize access to settinhs".

AtlBo and blueblackwow65 like this.
  16. AtlBo

AtlBo Level 22

Dec 29, 2014
    Qihoo 360
    OK I have a scenario for you guys. Maybe I can explain this. There are other options that I don't mention, but the point is to show that answering to alerts in a certain way yields fantastic results from HIPS.

My Choices:
    Auto-Contain->On->Limited (I want to see malware fail :) )
    HIPS->Safe Mode->also "Do not create rules for safe applications" helps

So here is the scenario. Run new "Unrecognized" app->Opens in container and decent chance app might be functional enough to use, yet changes will remain in the container. So far no trust has been created in the files list so HIPS will function as desired->Use app and it invokes some child process->HIPS alerts about the new "Unrecognized" (usually) starting and asks should the process be allowed. Here is the key. I was making it an allowed process or whatever if I knew what it was, but that deactivates HIPS AND I believe turns the process from "Unrecognized" to "Trusted" in files list. OK, for me, this is a big mistake, but it's easy to miss this. Even it this doesn't raise the trust rating, it's far better to never except in the case of an installer designate an "Unrecongized" file anything like "Windows" or "Allowed" etc. I mean even if you wrote the script yourself. What if someone wrote malware that overwrote your script (auto-find .bats and inject malware or whatever). OK the reason not to do this is that, if you don't make a blanket designation of an app that turns off HIPS, the "Unrecognized" parent process you started and that started the new process will automatically use the "Exclusions" dialog in HIPS to record each child process it starts. OK, so the single exclusion means that I can collect exclusions over time for the program and make sure it doesn't step outside the ones I allow. So then if someday it wants to use cmd.exe or something I can choose Block and "Remember choice" and a block exclusion will be created so that the functionality will be auto-blocked.

This is powerful. I think it only really fully works with Auto-contain set to on. I could be wrong about that. It's hard to test every possibility, but look through your HIPS rules and see if you have alot of "Allowed application" and "Windows application" type rules or anything other than Custom. Delete the Non-custom rules and start over for those processes. Finally, when you get a HIPS alert (other than an installer...you should designate this an installer), the seguence to use is just STRAIGHT allow and then "Remember this choice" or STRAIGHT block and "Remember this choice".

Hope any of this makes sense. In theory, you could set up Explorer.exe to create an exclusion for the first HIPS rule for each app you open from Start Menu or from a folder. Not that it matters or that Explorer.exe is all that important to control that way (it's safe), but you can easily watch over individual processes by staying away from the non-custom HIPS rules and collect those allow and block exclusions to keep "Unrecognized" in the cage. Yes, programs that seem good can contain malware too. :)

17. Tiny

Tiny Level 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Africa
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    CF 10 has practically no impact on my system at CS settings. I back it up with VS (free), up to date Windows, plus steer clear of dodgy stuff. In my opinion it's perfect for me.

rockstarrocks and Bombus like this.
  18. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    #58 Umbra, Jul 8, 2017
    1- I was a heavy user of Comodo since v3 , loved it , was almost a fanboy , and when i discovered that they can't manage to fix a 10+ years old bug making rules to disappear out-of-the-blue , i ditched it and replaced it by anti-exes and SRPs.

2- My config (for v8 ) at that time is there: Comodo Internet Security Setup/configuration thread (Setting Only) shouldn't be much different than the actual version, just some setting's names changed)

3- don't copy other config blindly, learn to use your soft based on your system and needs, then adjust accordingly.

Tiny, rockstarrocks, MWNu72 and 3 others like this.
  19. gricardo21

gricardo21 Level 19

Jul 10, 2014
    Student
    Nicaragua
    currently using CCAV in both pc, so at least for me it is a good product, they have improved a lot... i had some issues with audio driver but they fixed, along with some other stuff.

The signatures are average, the same applies to valkyre -it may take some time for valkyre to process a file, and there are some times that react fast-, so for regular user, who doesnt do that much stuff online, it is an excellent option. Auto sandbox, is the main feature here -it works perfect-

I may guess that they are putting more effort on CCAV and ISE than the normal CAV or CAF, since they are fixing bugs -with CCAV- faster than the others...

rockstarrocks and AtlBo like this.
  20. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Level 14

Apr 30, 2012
    Thanx, I'll try your procedure with ver.7 to ver 10. I'll see. As usually I play with various combos. For now I use ZoneAlarm free AV (it includes FW) + Emsisoft AM + MalwarebytesAntiExploit. It's for the first time I installed ZA AV+FW, before that I tried only ZA FW. ZA has nice Application Control, you can use it as anti-executable.

rockstarrocks and AtlBo like this.