Advice Request How many times a day you shut down your PC?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I turn it off whenever I'm not using it for more than a few minutes. The computer boots fast enough and I see no reason to keep it on consuming energy when it's not in use. Never had any problem for turning on/off multiple times a day.
Me too. Sometimes I turn off and on 3 times a day. But I try to keep it 1 time a day because of the hardware's wear and tear.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Unless something's downloading, I turn it on by the morning when I get up before work, leave it ON until night where I game a bit and it goes off again.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I have a HDD which is increasing in errors... its actually the first HDD in 20 years to be failing for me *knock on wood*, its also the drive to see the most use, in terms of online gaming and multi-tasking...

I rarely shut this PC off much..., so it really didn't HELP keeping it on day by day.
HDD error.jpg

It's possible that Windows is mixed up, but likely its the drive is slowly going kaputt.

I'm getting a new PC tower in the mail, should be here by weekend, more PC gaming friendly. I also want to turn it off when I sleep again.

Reactions: Nevi

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It's possible that Windows is mixed up, but likely its the drive is slowly going kaputt.
The errors shown are reported from the drive's own SMART diagnostic data, it's got nothing to do with Windows.

I recommend installing the trial version of Hard Disk Sentinel, as it will give a clear description of the state of the drive and if it's likely to fail soon.

In any case, I suggest you make sure you have a backup of your system, in case the drive suddenly fails.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
184 End-to-End Error Count 99 96 96 000000000004 Advisory: Usage limit
4 errors occurred during data transfer.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@JakeXPMan This is what it says on the HD Sentinel website about data transfer errors.
According the text description, numerous data transfer (communication) problems found. In most cases this is not really related to the hard disk, but related to the connections and/or data cables. For example loose SATA cable connections frequently cause this issue.

It is recommended to verify both the power and the data cable connected to the hard drive. If you see the plugs do not fit properly, you should change the data cable to a different one, for example a SATA cable with a metal clip to fix the connection:
It's more than likely not a problem with the drive itself. I'm a bit surprised that estimated remaining lifetime is only listed at more than 96 days. i would have expected a higher number, considering that there are no actual errors on the drive.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
@JakeXPMan This is what it says on the HD Sentinel website about data transfer errors.

It's more than likely not a problem with the drive itself. I'm a bit surprised that estimated remaining lifetime is only listed at more than 96 days. i would have expected a higher number, considering that there are no actual errors on the drive.
Could it be a program that I used, messed something up? Can windows have errors causing HDD end to end error? I dunno if there's an issue with cable, it looks perfect... I took it out and put back in, (switch sides) same error.

What issue do you think it could be, if not a failing Drive ?

Its true, I never encounter any problems on the drive itself.

Reactions: ANNOx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.