How often do you check your Spam Folder?

How Often do you check your Spam Folder

• Always

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Rarely

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Never

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Orchid

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2023
MalwareTips Community.

Recently, some of my friends contacted me saying they never received my e-mail when I had sent the e-mail a week prior or longer. Some responses I would give are:

• Do you want me to send the e-mail again?
  • Did you check the Spam Folder?
The reply would always be: my e-mail landed in the Spam Folder. I finally came to realize not many people check their Spam Folder nowadays. When I see my family get e-mails in their Spam Folder, they don't even look at them, disregarding if any important e-mail is stored there. On the other hand, I look at my Spam Folder and see what e-mail I received before I delete the message. So now I ask you. How often do you check your Spam Folder?

Reactions: Nevi and bellgamin

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Voted Sometimes - only if I'm expecting an email from a new address.

Reactions: Nevi

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Always, sometimes you miss a legit email if it's from a rare email address. But it's marketing 99% of the time though that gets tagged as a spam. No biggie!

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I check my Trash folder everyday. I have set-up Spam Assassin with a whitelist so that ALL email not whitelisted goes to Trash. Because I have several teaching websites, I receive 200 or more emails daily. Thus, I often get emails that are not on my whitelist. Scanning the Trash box for valid emails is easy to do because my email app is PopPeeper.

BTW -- here in Hawaii, canned Spam (Spiced Ham) is a very popular food. My family loves spam musubi for snacks. We also enjoy spam and eggs for breakfast. Spam with hotcakes is to die for!

Orchid

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2023
I check my Trash folder everyday. I have set-up Spam Assassin with a whitelist so that ALL email not whitelisted goes to Trash. Because I have several teaching websites, I receive 200 or more emails daily. Thus, I often get emails that are not on my whitelist. Scanning the Trash box for valid emails is easy to do because my email app is PopPeeper.
I think you mean the Spam Folder.

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I think you mean the Spam Folder.
I named it Trash Account on my server.

I configured Spam Assassin with a whitelist filter instead of the usual blacklist filter. VoodooShield, anti-exe apps, & firewalls use whitelisting to block malware. So I use whitelisting to block trash mail.

To wit, Assassin filters mail from whitelisted senders so that it goes to my primary email accounts. It dumps the left-overs into the Trash. Works great for me 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I check it whenever it isn't empty, as sometimes non spam emails go to there, rather than the Inbox. If any legitimate emails reach my spam folder, even if they're emails I don't want, I report them as not being spam, so that in time such emails will go straight to my Inbox. Whenever spam email reaches my Inbox, I report it as spam rather than deleting it from my Inbox.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
About once a week, some of the emails I get in there are comedy gold, especially the ones from my friends in Africa.:p

Reactions: roger_m

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Specially on iOS/MacOS mail apps…
I have to check mine every 2-3 days unfortunately… too many legit emails go there.
Does the Apple Mail app offer many options for filtering / customisation?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Does the Apple Mail app offer many options for filtering / customisation?
On iOS it doesn’t offer any.
It applies filtering automatically and is a bit too aggressive sometimes.

On Mac OS it offers the following:
Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 15.31.50.png
Over time as you mark as junk/not junk it learns quickly.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Sometimes. I use only outlook for important emails and it can mark senders as trusted to avoid spam.
But I forward other less relevant services via other email providers, so I check them out here and then.

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.