How old are you?

Member Chat
46 Replies 3,815 Views
I remember that as a kid (And I mean me as a kid.) my father got a dot matrix printer at the school he worked at. It covered nearly the back wall of the room it was in and had a sound-dampening case over it. (And you could still hear the damn thing print.)
 
My 1st computer was Commodre VIC-20, so no operating system, directly Basic programming...

(y);)
With the VIC-20, I couldn't use the software I had written.
Do you remember if you had timer problems?
I had such problems with the C-64 because my Commodore was set to the US power frequency (60 Hz) when ours was 50 Hz.
So I wrote a little program in machine language to remedy that.
Otherwise, I couldn't use my Basic program for time dilation as the speed of light approached.

P.S.

We saw him again in the movie "John Wick".:)
 
I had an Atari 400 then an 800XL which I had lots of games for, I also liked the text based 'Level 9 adventures' such as Emerald Island, later I got the Atari ST - My first PC was a 286 as I recall had a 20mhz CPU! I was able to upgrade the chip to an AMD 80 (as I remember) First OS for that was DOS & then Windows 3.0 /3.11 for Work-groups - I think the floppy's are in the loft but I don't like going up there anymore :)
 
My first pcs were running windows xp and im 32 years old currently. I used to dig old pcs from junkyard/ dumping area ( idk the correct world) and i cleaned them up, then put them together and used as my daily pc , sure my family got me first ''gaming'' pc on 2006 i think and that was year i got into internet from my home first time. Sure i had visited my friends & library for internet since 2003 i think :unsure:
 
I also remember Cobol programming on PC

1) Step one : Each Cobol line was punching one card e.g. 1000 punched cards
2) Step two : Reading the 1000 punched cards was punching e.g. 75 cards containing the source code.
3) Step three : Reading the 75 punched cards was generating the hexadecimal machine code.

This was BIG fun :)
 
I don’t remember the PC manufacturer but i had to boot from a floppy disk 💾 :)
Yes, that's how I used it on my first XT computer. I used a 5 1/4-inch floppy disk to boot up and access the C:\ drive. Later, I discovered that it was no longer necessary to use the floppy disk—after running the SYS C:\ command, the system files were essentially copied from the floppy disk to the C:\ drive, allowing the drive to boot without relying on a floppy disk. After that, it was no longer necessary to use the boot disk. P.S. When you run SYS, the following files are copied: command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys, and drvspace.bin. ;)
I also remember Cobol programming on PC
I was introduced to COBOL and Clipper in early 1990; my brother and his colleague were working together as programmers. They had a computer at home, and I would watch them work with Clipper and COBOL every day. :love:
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top