Guide | How To How to Get maximum Read Write Speed from USB Pendrive/External & Internal Hard Disk

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
To get maximum read-write speed from USB Pendrive/External & Internal hard Disk partition you need to Format it with “NTFS” File system and set “Allocation unit size” to 64 Kilobytes.

Note : Formatting the USB Pendrive/External & Internal hard Disk partition will Erase all the data in it. Backup the data in the USB Pendrive/External & Internal hard Disk partition before formatting it.

Don't do this in the partition in which Windows OS is installed otherwise Windows OS files occupy large space in that partition.

This is intended only to be done on USB Pendrive/External & Internal hard Disk partition which holds mostly large sized files ( greater than 64 KB ) like documents, ebooks, media files, softwares, photos etc.

• First, insert the USB Pendrive to the computer.
  • Copy all the files in the Pendrive to another location on the computer.
  • Right click on the USB Pendrive as shown below and select “Format

• Set File System as “NTFS
  • Set “Allocation unit size” to “64 kilobytes
  • Click “Start

• Click “OK

• Click “Close

• Now you can Read Write files in USB Pendrive at much faster speed than before.

• First,insert the USB External Hard Disk to the computer.
  • Copy all the files in the External Hard Disk to another location on the computer.
  • Right click on the USB External Hard Disk as shown below and select “Format

get-maximum-read-write-speed-from-usb-pendrive-_30-06-2016_20-21-25.jpg

• Click “Start
get-maximum-read-write-speed-from-usb-pendrive-_30-06-2016_20-21-40.jpg

• Follow the instructions.
  • After the Format has completed you will get maximum read write speed from USB External hard disk

Note : Formatting the Internal hard Disk partition will Erase all the data in it.

The internal hard disk in your computer may have multiple partitions. This technique should only be used in drive/volume/partition which will be used to store users data. Don’t use this tweak in System partitions in which Windows OS has been installed.

• As you can see below that internal hard disk has multiple partitions named ( C: E: G: H: I: )
  • Out of them C: and E: partition has Windows OS installed. The user should not use this tweak in these partitions.
  • G: H: and I: partition is used to store users data. So we can use this tweak on it.

• Formatting data partition I:
  • Move all the files in the I: partition to another location on the computer.
  • Select a data partition and right click on it.
  • Select “Format

• Click “Start

• click “OK

• Click “OK

• Click “Close

• Now you will get better Read Write speed from this newly formatted partition.
  • Similarly, format other data partitions as shown above. Don’t forget to backup the data in the partition before formatting it.

Last edited:

Sseneb

Level 1
Sep 16, 2016
Thanks for the tutorial, always good to know :)

Btw I tried it on a USB pendrive (which had allocation unit size set to 4096 octets), and now I'm getting freezes during copy on this USB pendrive. Copying still works but I don't know how many time I have to wait until the copy is complete, and I don't know the speed ! Any suggestions ? Maybe this is not adapted to ALL USB pendrives ?

D

Deleted member 2913

I click "Restore Device Default" & format USB.

Any disadvantages of formatting USB as NTFS?

What size USB is good/advantage to format as NTFS like 2, 8, 16, 32, etc... GB size?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I click "Restore Device Default" & format USB.

Any disadvantages of formatting USB as NTFS?

What size USB is good/advantage to format as NTFS like 2, 8, 16, 32, etc... GB size?
it may speed up the USB speed a bit but if you have a crappy USB like mine (sandisk cruzer - max copy speed 3.6-4.5Mb/s) it won't improve anything, I tried all options
however, if you use NTFS, you have to "safely remove" everytime because NTFS uses system cache so if you don't safely remove, it may degrade the USB and potentially corrupt some data

for USB the best is to use fat32 or exfat (exfat is not compatible with win XP but supports >4Gb files) for maximum compatibility
NFTS on macbook, you can only read, you can't write, don't know if any app can help to copy into NTFS drive

If you have an external HDD, it's recommended to use NTFS or exfat as it improves speed a lot but not really practical for pendrives

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Biggest disadvantage to formatting USB as NTFS would be compatibility I guess. As NTFS is Microsoft's proprietary filesystem, many devices would not recognize the USB (TVs, PS4/XBox, etc). There are workarounds for Mac OS & Linux though.

extFAT might be a good idea if compatibility is mandatory :)

Later edit: I found it to be more important that a flash drive is usable/compatible wherever you go than to be really fast. Though it's good to know what makes it faster and in what conditions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.