How to stay safe online using Free security software?

SamX

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 11, 2015
So I have been using Eset smart security on my laptop and Kaspersky on my PC. However now when my Eset is expiring in two weeks i figured out well my Laptop never really got a virus in 2 years except some malicious site warnings which even google chrome blocked...so I thought I might resort to free security suites...like avast or comodo internet security?
Any suggestions on what software or combination of softwares I could use to protect my Laptop?
I'm running windows 10 x64 if it helps..

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
So I have been using Eset smart security on my laptop and Kaspersky on my PC. However now when my Eset is expiring in two weeks i figured out well my Laptop never really got a virus in 2 years except some malicious site warnings which even google chrome blocked...so I thought I might resort to free security suites...like avast or comodo internet security?
Any suggestions on what software or combination of softwares I could use to protect my Laptop?
You can use both Avast Free and Comodo Firewall (which is free) together. :)

H

hjlbx

What features do you want ?

How do you wish to interact with your security soft ?

The only freeware option that matches Kaspersky or ESET in terms of shear, brute-force protection is Comodo IS or FW. It's operation is not the same as ESET, but instead closer to Kaspersky.

Reactions: SamX and XhenEd

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
I'm using Avira free with Comodo Firewall (which btw,has no match for strenght and security),but as @XhenEd said,you can use Avast.You'll have a super strong protection at no cost at all.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
You could also add something like Voodoo Shield and a couple of on demand scanners, Malwarebytes or Emsisoft Emergency Kit all are free. ;)

SamX

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 11, 2015
What features do you want ?

How do you wish to interact with your security soft ?

The only freeware option that matches Kaspersky or ESET in terms of shear, brute-force protection is Comodo IS or FW. It's operation is not the same as ESET, but instead closer to Kaspersky.
Well A firewall and an antivirus will do i guess...also does the free ones catch Trojans and stuff like that?

SamX

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 11, 2015
You could also add something like Voodoo Shield and a couple of on demand scanners, Malwarebytes or Emsisoft Emergency Kit all are free. ;)
Thanks I just installed malwarebytes and already like it ;D

Reactions: frogboy

SamX

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 11, 2015
You can use both Avast Free and Comodo Firewall (which is free) together. :)
Okay and how about the free comodo internet security? that's better or avast/some.other AV+ comodo firewall ?

H

hjlbx

Well A firewall and an antivirus will do i guess...also does the free ones catch Trojans and stuff like that?

All the free AVs that use signatures routinely detect Trojans for which there is a signature.

If you want a simple AV and firewall, then look into 360 Total Security Essentials. The firewall is Glasswire - which is basically an application firewall that allows user to turn connection OFF or back ON again for individual apps. 360 is a good soft despite its detractors regarding privacy - which is no worse that Microsoft.

The only caveat is make sure you have enough RAM. When you activate the Bitdefender and Avira engines, the signatures are stored in RAM. RAM can go as high as 500 MB, but once you close the GUI, the RAM goes immediately down to 80 MB or less. 360 loads signatures into RAM... which makes it faster.

The only real downside - which is highly debatable - is that there is no real support... if that is important to you.

Also, do not use the version with Speed Up. It might boink your system... it isn't necessary and the Patch function isn't either... that is best handled by Windows Update.

It really is worth a "Look-See."

H

hjlbx

Okay and how about the free comodo internet security? that's better or avast/some.other AV+ comodo firewall ?

Comodo Internet Security or you can combine Comodo Firewall with a free AV - Avira Free is best one in my experience.

I am dedicated Comodo Internet Security user. I much prefer one security application administration and the fact that it consumes less resources than a Comodo Firewall + other AV combo.

Just be forwarned there is learning curve with Comodo. Figuring out how it works, why it does what it does, etc - takes time and effort. You will be apt to think it is malfunctioning when, in fact, it is working as designed. It is complex, but it will protect your system. Not to scare you but it can be overwhelming if you have never used it before.

If you have SSD with i7 and lots of RAM it won't matter... you can do what you want. Combos will not drag on system unless you get carried away...

At idle, Comodo Internet Security uses about 25 MB RAM... :D

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Other alternatives, choose SecureAplus or Crystal Security as Companion AV then pick a full blown AV from numerous suggestions.

You should not easily bypassed as you have combined engines to detect those very premature files up to matured threats.

For Firewall then you may consider enhancement tool like TinyWall or Windows Firewall Notifier.

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Infection-free with ESET? You can do the same with any Free Antivirus. Staying safe online is the same regardless of using Free or Paid security, with some exceptions if you're switching away from the Antivirus solution all together.

Reactions: XhenEd and frogboy

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If in two years you got just 2 malicious links that Chrome blocked then I think you'll be fine with Windows 10 build in security.
  • Windows Defender will be able to detect and clean most widespread malware or worms which infect USB Flash drives. Additionally disable autorun in Windows.
  • Windows Firewall will do the job with latest firmware updated on your hardware firewall.
  • Enabled UAC will notify you about executables that will try to run
  • And Windows Smart Screen from yet unidentified programs or programs without reputation earned yet.

+ You can install Malwarebytes Free and scan your system from time to time
+ CCleaner for junk and privacy concerns
+ Adguard or uBlock Origin

If you want to strengthen Chrome url filtering you can additionally install some extensions like Bitdefender TrafficLight or Avast Online Security but most malware url blocking features you can find in Adguard or uBlock Origin

Reactions: XhenEd

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.