How to temporarily run 2 antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

viel

Thread author
Hey, :D
I want to try out an antivirus for a bit (not keeping it) but I have set a lot of settings on Avast and I do not want to lose them by uninstalling then reinstalling. Is it ok if I don't launch Avast and do some scans with the antivirus I am trying? When Avast is not being ran? Keep in mind I am not testing or comparing products I am just testing the Scans.etc I will run a full scan with the temporary AV (Avira)

So is it alright to launch Avira when Avast is not being ran? (Keep in mind I will not be keeping Avira)

Thanks!

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello mate. No, you should not do that. It's likely to create high incompatibilities even if they're not running together but installed on the same system.

To scan your system, download a portable scanner, or an antimalware software compatible with antivirus. Like, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Norton Power Eraser. I don't know if Avira has one, you should check that out.

EDIT: For Avira tools check Free Downloads of Avira Antivirus Software & Utilities

For a list of malware scanners and tools check: Free Security Tools Collection

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
You can actually save your Avast settings as a configuration file I believe. Simply scroll down while in settings and hit "backup settings" then select what you want saved. Then you can uninstall Avast keep the settings file and try out Avira. If u ever want to go back simply reinstall Avast again and run the settings backup file. You could also set Avast to passive mode but it doesn't offer protection and kind of just wastes resources.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Why not toogle off all Avast shields while you are trying new products? Simple as that :D
If you want to be more conservative you can also backup Avast settings to a file as already said.

Reactions: AtlBo

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
How reliable is Avast Passive Mode as to install another antivirus? Long time no using it, had no idea about that. By the way, i really feel unnecessary to install Avira Antivirus software only to do a scan. I wouldn't mess with installing and uninstalling antiviruses on the system due to the fragility system files represent.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
How reliable is Avast Passive Mode as to install another antivirus? Long time no using it, had no idea about that.
Recently tried it with AVG (brother of Avast), and it worked fine without any conflict.
It kept asking me whether I'd like to leave Passive Mode for full protection. Of course nonsense with another product installed.

V

viel

Thread author
Hello mate. No, you should not do that. It's likely to create high incompatibilities even if they're not running together but installed on the same system.

To scan your system, download a portable scanner, or an antimalware software compatible with antivirus. Like, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Norton Power Eraser. I don't know if Avira has one, you should check that out.

EDIT: For Avira tools check Free Downloads of Avira Antivirus Software & Utilities

For a list of malware scanners and tools check: Free Security Tools Collection
Which portable scanner is the best?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Is it compatible with Avast,Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro? (those are everything I use)
Well yes, as they are portable scanners they do not offer any kind of real time protection that may interfere with your solutions. Still, if your copy of MalwareBytes offers real time protection i would suggest uninstalling it because it's not so useful. MalwareBytes has become a bit crappy on my opinion. HitmanPro is good as a scanner too.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I use a combination of Norton Power Eraser (aggressive, some FP), HitmanPro and Zemana AntiMalware (Real-Time protection off, for not picking up random samples while performing tests in the Malware Vault).
Those worked flawlessly next to any AV I've used in the past years.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
You don't want to do that. Like mentionned above, installing more than one Antivirus can cause system instability and conflict. Even if the real-time protection layers are turned off, the drivers, services, etc. are still there and the Antivirus you'll install could see these as threats or have a hard time installing itself on the system because of these.

V

viel

Thread author
I use a combination of Norton Power Eraser (aggressive, some FP), HitmanPro and Zemana AntiMalware (Real-Time protection off, for not picking up random samples while performing tests in the Malware Vault).
Those worked flawlessly next to any AV I've used in the past years.
Norton?.. I'm scared.. I'm guessing its a pain to uninstall because it leaves so many files behind?

Reactions: AtlBo

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
Everything everyone has said is true, but there is such a simple solution.

1. Image the system. I use Macrium Reflect full as it is fast and reliable.
2. Uninstall AV completely, install new av and test to your hearts content.
3 Restore the image and system is like it was before.

Note. One should really be imaging anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.