New Update Hypatia - World's First Real-time FOSS Malware scanner for Android

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Hypatia is the worlds first FOSS realtime malware scanner for Android. It is powered by ClamAV style signature databases.

Features
  • Near zero battery impact: you'll never notice any impact on battery at all
  • Extremely fast: it can scan small files (1MB) in 20ms, and even large files (40MB) in 1000ms.
  • Memory efficient: with the default databases enabled it uses under 120MB.
  • Regular scan: allowing selection of /system, internal storage, external storage, and installed apps
  • Realtime scanner: can detect malware in realtime on write/rename in internal storage
  • Completely offline: Internet is only used to download signature databases, files will never ever leave your device
  • Persistence: will automatically restart on boot/update
  • Tiny codebase: coming in at under 1000 sloc, it can be audited by even someone with basic programming experience
  • Minimal dependencies: the app only uses libraries when necessary
  • Signature databases can be enabled/disabled at the users demand
Download

Roadmap: Planned Updates
  • Option to scan on access
  • Scan files via share intent
  • Scan newly installed/updated apps
  • Option to let 3rd-party apps invoke scans
  • Automatic database updates
  • Automatic database generation
  • Database sanity checks
  • Testing
  • Better GUI
  • Translations
  • Scanning entire system using root (low priority)

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hypatia is an open-source real-time malware scanner for Android devices. It utilizes ClamAV style signature databases to detect and remove malware. Here are some notable features of Hypatia:

1. Near-zero battery impact: The app is designed to have minimal impact on your device's battery life, ensuring that you won't notice any significant drain.

2. Extremely fast scanning: Hypatia can scan small files (1MB) in just 20ms and even larger files (40MB) in 1000ms, making it a quick and efficient malware scanner.

3. Memory efficient: With the default databases enabled, Hypatia uses less than 120MB of memory, ensuring it won't hog your device's resources.

4. Regular and real-time scanning: Hypatia offers both regular scans, where you can select specific areas to scan such as the /system, internal storage, external storage, and installed apps, as well as real-time scanning that can detect malware in real-time during write or rename operations in internal storage.

5. Completely offline: Hypatia only uses the internet to download signature databases, and no files will ever leave your device, ensuring your privacy and security.

6. Persistence: The app will automatically restart on boot or update, ensuring continuous protection without requiring manual intervention.

7. Tiny codebase: Hypatia has a small codebase, with less than 1000 lines of code, making it easily auditable even by individuals with basic programming experience.

8. Minimal dependencies: The app only utilizes libraries when necessary, reducing the number of external dependencies and potential vulnerabilities.

9. Customizable signature databases: Users have the ability to enable or disable specific signature databases based on their preferences.

You can download Hypatia from the F-Droid repository using the following link: [Hypatia Download](https://f-droid.org/packages/us.spotco.malwarescanner/).

The developers have also shared their planned updates for the app, which include features such as scanning on access, scanning files via share intent, scanning newly installed/updated apps, allowing third-party apps to invoke scans, automatic database updates and generation, database sanity checks, testing, improving the GUI, translations, and the ability to scan the entire system using root access (low priority).

Overall, Hypatia offers a lightweight, efficient, and privacy-focused solution for real-time malware scanning on Android devices.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I like the claim of: The app is designed to have minimal impact on your device's battery life, ,between using Kaspersky and then Eset both ruined my phones battery maybe 50 percent apx. But is the clam engine any good now?Gonna give it a try

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Didn't like at all download bundled with a bunch of stuff then I couldn't get a simple scan working, I'll stick with my other choices, when I get paranoid again.
Did you download via F-Droid using F-Droid/Droid-ify client, or directly from GitLab/APK?
  1. Install Hypatia
  2. Update Database
  3. Scan
Super simple and easy to use. Nothing more, nothing less.

Can you share more details about your Android device, OS version and make/model?

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I typed in F-Droid used search to get so yes maybe not the best link. I have a moto g stylus 5G (2022)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I typed in F-Droid used search to get so yes maybe not the best link. I have a moto g stylus 5G (2022)
Downloading from the F-Droid site will recommend using their own client to manage and update apps accordingly.

As for the Hypatia app, there's no additional bundled software.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dave Russo

Stargazer_Steve

Level 1
Dec 2, 2022
I had similar issues as Dave Russo, but managed to resolve them.

Downloaded from Hypatia | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository (it wasn't bundled with anything else at all though), make sure you downloaded Hypatia APK not the actual F-Droid APK.

The app installed fine and ran okay. I then got an error 'No database available, not scanning...' when I pressed scan (green play button). I realised I had to manually select the 3 dots top right, then select update data bases (this did take me 2-3 attempts though as it would not update/connect straight away). When it did work, it populated in the log all the downloads then said databases updated. Following this you can hit the green play button to begin the scan. It will then state 'loaded data bases with 6+ million signatures' and scan your phone!

I'm using a Redmi Note 11 Pro 5G - MIUI 14.0.7 Global Rom - Android Version 13 TKQ1 - for reference.

Opinion - It's very fast and straight forward, but I don't think I'd use it as a realtime scanner or keep it installed on my phone 24/7. I'd be more inclined to use it as a second opinion scanner from time to time, mostly when I feel paranoid or have been on dodgy sites/downloaded other APKs. Main reason for this is that I find it too minimalistic/simplistic (mostly in appearance but also in features), the app does not give the impression that it is actively protecting or benefiting my phone whilst installed. I also don't have the confidence that it will auto update signatures or conduct scans without manual input.

But much appreciated to the devs though, awesome that it's open source and it is insanely light/fast.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dave Russo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.